Hey there,

Here is my latest creation: a fully remote controlled Backhoe loader based on the JCB 4CX, which is a Backhoe loader with 4 equal-sized wheels & 4-wheel-steering.

m5110050_small.jpg

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

This model features a blend of Pneumatic & power-functions. It has:

* 4-wheel drive

* 4-wheel steering

* V6 engine

* Lights

* Outriggers

* Fully functional front-loader

* Fully funtional backhoe (including sideways-movement)

* Everything (even the lights) are remote controlled by a seperate remote controller.

m5110042_small.jpg

For years, the 8455 was the standard in Lego Technic Backhoe loaders, but with the presence of the Power-functions system, I know it could be improved. So a specific Backhoe was chosen, in this case the JCB 4CX which was to be modelled. This is a Backhoe with 4 equal-sized wheels, which made the choice for the wheels a lot easier. Now the 8297 wheels could be used. And of course the 4-wheel-drive & 4-sheel steering had to be implemented.

m5110045_small.jpg

For every function both pneumatic & electric systems were considered. Power functions have the advantage to be very controllable, but generally need quite some space and reliable drivetrains. Pneumatics are easier to construct and quite powerful, but are harder to controll.

m5110046_small.jpg

While examining the 4CX, I noticed that its complete backhoe could move sideways. This was quie a challenge to recreate. A kind of rails was constructed to guide the moving backhoe. The M-motor which was used for the sideways-motion was placed inside the main body, and the M-motor for rotating the backhoe was placed in the first section of the backhoe.

m5110044_small.jpg

The remote controller houses a compressor, air-pressure-regulator and all the switches for all the functions:

m5110053_small.jpg

m5110055_small.jpg

You can find my brickshelf-folder here.

m5110056_small.jpg

If you want mail me for questions about my models, you can find me at jurgenstechniccorner@hotmail.com

Feel free to comment.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop
Sorry; great MOC but the pictures are too big!

Whoa! This MOC is most impressive! The remote-controller alone is very clever, and helps to keep the overall size/weight of the model down. A nice combination of pneumatics & Power Functions! :thumbup::thumbup:

Nice!!!

I know how difficult building an Backhoe Loader can be.

I made ONE before, and it is still in building process, due to extremely complexity on such a small place.

Very nice job with the functions, and the remote... especially the sliding backhoe, lifting arm up is somehow slow, thats way I used LAs.

As I see, you used 8466 drive steer combo for the axles, thus you got very limited turning radii, I mean steering angle, but I like AWD and AWS!

Overall very nice and very functional model!

WOW, now this ladies and gentlemen is what technic is all about. Your MOC is very functional and complex showcasing new functions never seen before or that most people probably wasn't even aware existed on the real thing (like the sliding side to side movement of the back arm, did you know many of these arms also had telescopic booms?!) and also has great play value along with a WOW factor turned up to eleven. I love it I really do. I would much rather own this that the new remote controlled excavator that is coming out, even if it was more expensive. Just wish lego would release some longer pneumatics so we would'nt have to keep doubling them up, never-the-less in this instance, i'm so glad you chose pneumatics over LA's for the most part.

This is a contender for my favorite MOC of any theme of all time!

lifting arm up is somehow slow, thats way I used LAs.

Hmmmmm, the front arms are much slower going up or down which are powered by LA's.

Nice!!!

I know how difficult building an Backhoe Loader can be.

I made ONE before, and it is still in building process, due to extremely complexity on such a small place.

Very nice job with the functions, and the remote... especially the sliding backhoe, lifting arm up is somehow slow, thats way I used LAs.

As I see, you used 8466 drive steer combo for the axles, thus you got very limited turning radii, I mean steering angle, but I like AWD and AWS!

Overall very nice and very functional model!

Building a functional Backhoe isn't easy indeed. This MOC was constructed very compact to be able to include all the functions (6 electric & 5 pneumatic functions in total)

I saw your JCB 3CX on brichshelf earlier and it inspired my MOC. And the small steering-lock isn't a problem. The original 4CX will also have a small steering-lock due to the big wheels. But this is compensated with the 4-wheel steering.

WOW, now this ladies and gentlemen is what technic is all about. Your MOC is very functional and complex showcasing new functions never seen before or that most people probably wasn't even aware existed on the real thing (like the sliding side to side movement of the back arm, did you know many of these arms also had telescopic booms?!) and also has great play value along with a WOW factor turned up to eleven. I love it I really do. I would much rather own this that the new remote controlled excavator that is coming out, even if it was more expensive. Just wish lego would release some longer pneumatics so we would'nt have to keep doubling them up, never-the-less in this instance, i'm so glad you chose pneumatics over LA's for the most part.

This is a contender for my favorite MOC of any theme of all time!

Thanx for the compliments, Allanp.

Yes, I'm aware of some backhoes having a telescopic boom. I even considered making it, but the model was already very complex as it is.

And sorry for the pictures that were too big. I will make them smaller.

Hmmmmm, the front arms are much slower going up or down which are powered by LA's.

Because Jurgen Krooshoop used that gear reduction. I used different one and they can move much faster, yet are capable of lifting loader.

I think that for back arm, LAs are much better than pneumatics (i tried both options on my backhoe).

Also I think pneumatics are better for the front loader, because space is very limited at the front/bonnet.

Because Jurgen Krooshoop used that gear reduction. I used different one and they can move much faster, yet are capable of lifting loader.

I think that for back arm, LAs are much better than pneumatics (i tried both options on my backhoe).

Also I think pneumatics are better for the front loader, because space is very limited at the front/bonnet.

The initial plan was to make the front loader completely electric with LA's. But I wanted to build the mechanism to keep the bucket in the same position while moving the loader up and down and doing this with LA's was almost impossible. It would have resulted in lots of gears on the outside, which I think is ugly. Pneumatics were also used for the backhoe, because there wasn't any place for motors (I tried).

The images in my topic-post were reduced to 800x600. I hope this is enough. If not, just let me know and I'll shrink them even more.

This is definitely one of the most impressive MOCs I've ever seen!

I've loved Technic backhoes ever since I first got my hands on the 8862, and yours can easily put it and the 8455 in a corner :grin:

Congrats on the wonderful job, and hopefully your MOC will inspire someone else in the same way you were inspired by Milan's creation :wink:

I love it! :wub: I've never seen a side shift backhoe done before in LEGO, in fact I didn't even know that powered sideshift existed at all! (Older models used to do a sideshift by anchoring the bucket and pushing the backhoe until it was in position. As they say on their site; "Hydraulic Powerslide moves excavator position with no damage to the worksite." Long time no worksite for me! :tongue: ) Pulling this off when the real ones used to avoid it as well is most impressive!

The images in my topic-post were reduced to 800x600. I hope this is enough. If not, just let me know and I'll shrink them even more.

It's good now; thanks!

I love it! :wub: I've never seen a side shift backhoe done before in LEGO, in fact I didn't even know that powered sideshift existed at all! most impressive!

That's one of the reasons I made it (although it took quite some time). I like to make things that haven't been done before.

It's good now; thanks!

I promiss I won't put big pictures in my posts again. :blush: