UrbanErwin

[MOC][WIP] Layout with turntable

It has been a while…

Some of you know me from my previous layout. This layout has been taken apart and the new version is now under construction.

I made my plans for this new layout early March.

16879758812_05a26da4ae_c.jpg

Planning by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

A big thank you to scruffulous for the BlueBrick files he sent me once.

I had a small list of things I really wanted to have in my layout:

- long or large curves as described by Railbricks and Cale Leiphart.

- a turntable, better looking and functioning than my previous design

- it has to be modular for easy transport

- it has to connect properly to the other layout builders at LowLUG.

I first laid the basplate and added track to see if my idea actually fitted, it did! :classic:

16435016894_49288f8bbe_n.jpg 16869668258_3e1be3d694_n.jpg

Next where some tiles to mark the edge of the areas which should be tiled to support the track:

16871175007_16348fd82a_n.jpg

Then the fun really began, building actual modules:

16890790898_62628aa9a5_z.jpg

Layout V5.0 work in progress 8-4-15 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

17090357615_6b7f4bb5de_z.jpg

Layout V5.0 work in progress 9-4-15 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

16510433384_698cd8af20_z.jpg

Work in Progress update 13-04-2015 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

After a couple of days building I made a start with the turntable:

16959969838_187ff4a6e3_n.jpg 17146152652_2f14ef41ec_n.jpg 16991958189_89a3769cc9_n.jpg

Some more foundations and landscaping

17212978615_fa6db790c9_z.jpg

Update 20-04-2015 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

And this is the current state of progress:

17222974052_9e4324b118_z.jpg

Work in Progress update 21-04-2015 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

17038498639_01465ca4bb_z.jpg

Work in Progress update 21-04-2015 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

I will try to add updates every time I added something.

Looking good. Any design secrets to share about the turntable? ;-)

Considering to build one..

Sniff sniff... I miss your old layout. The new one is coming along very quickly and nicely though. Given your past detailing I can't wait to see the magic you work here. Just one thought before you get too far though. If you are planning on using 9v power for this track the loss at the rail joints are much higher in this grand curve configuration. So you will probably want to add more power drops along the curve.

Looking good. Any design secrets to share about the turntable? ;-)

Considering to build one..

Thank you, I don't mind making some extra pictures, just say from what/which angle.

Awesome work. Yeasterday I saw your modules, and today we have updates. We're privileged. :classic:

Sniff sniff... I miss your old layout. The new one is coming along very quickly and nicely though. Given your past detailing I can't wait to see the magic you work here. Just one thought before you get too far though. If you are planning on using 9v power for this track the loss at the rail joints are much higher in this grand curve configuration. So you will probably want to add more power drops along the curve.

The start is quick, but I'm having finals in the coming months and I am going on holiday this summer for 1,5 month so the whole will probably not be finished before early September.

I read some things about power loss before and was already thinking of adding some kind of wire which directly connects the first and last track pieces and every piece in between.

Very nice start. The turntable is looking good already. Can't wait to see all your detailing.

Thank you :classic:

Very much looking forward to following this layout, your last was awesome. Off to a very good start.

Thank you, I don't mind making some extra pictures, just say from what/which angle.

I'm intersted in the technic that makes it move. I've seen a few versions, and would ilke to make one.

As I have some of the older 12V rails, I'm considering using them as the basis, at least on the turntable itself, as they end cleanly at 1 stud. I even have some broken ones, that could be fitted..

Very much looking forward to following this layout, your last was awesome. Off to a very good start.

Thanks

So much detail already - following the thread to see how those huge curves work out.

Thank you

What a nice project UrbanErwin, I like your ballast and the great turntable! :wub:

Thank you LT12V

I'm intersted in the technic that makes it move. I've seen a few versions, and would ilke to make one.

As I have some of the older 12V rails, I'm considering using them as the basis, at least on the turntable itself, as they end cleanly at 1 stud. I even have some broken ones, that could be fitted..

I found the motor which will turn the table, but the mechanics don't work out as I planned. So I will first make sure it works before I start handing out advice. :classic:

Hi, UrbanErwin, great to see all those wip-photos. I wonder how large will your modules be for handling? Especially the ones of long slow curve?

Hope to see the result in autumn on LOWLUG LTC meeting.

Hi, UrbanErwin, great to see all those wip-photos. I wonder how large will your modules be for handling? Especially the ones of long slow curve?

Hope to see the result in autumn on LOWLUG LTC meeting.

The modules will be 1x1 and 2x2 baseplates depending on its place in the layout.

Nice - is it finished now?

Sorry not even yet. And it will probably not be done before late August.

======================================================================

Here is today's update, sorry for the long wait.

17390838302_6f6e0a990d_c.jpg

Layout update 06-05-2015 by UrbanErwin(EPJL), on Flickr

17185369997_f2b7bb4902_c.jpg

It is not very much, but I started on the roundhouse.

@Marook:

17205236680_fc5f76a1b1_c.jpg

16770305544_43b18ea058_c.jpg

The red pin connects to this and turn quite slow, but there are still some bugs to fix.

First the update from a few days ago: The second storage track for the turntable and the last track module.

17594394729_977ac76628_c.jpg

Today's update (17-5-2015) by Erwin, on Flickr

17777946692_37a9401809_c.jpg

Today's update (17-5-2015) by Erwin, on Flickr

I restarted the roundhouse, I couldn't get it working without having to couple all baseplates. So I decided to build the entire building as a standalone model. When that is done it will be placed on tiles in the layout.

17896840582_cd01dec9b7_c.jpg

Just another brick in the wall by Erwin, on Flickr

There will be 2 maintenance pits, one deep and one a little more shallow. The center part currently untiled will be the main working area containing a couple of storage shelves, working benches and random tools.

17896837552_99b7958c65_c.jpg

Just another brick in the wall by Erwin, on Flickr

For the building itself I'm trying a "not exactly new anymore"-look. The tan area is a window replaced with a wooden plate and a fan. The last window is broken.

I am not quite sure what to do with the door, it looks to new/modern.

Comments and critique is welcome!

some creator sets have 'house type doors'. Those would look more old. I think that's the most old look you could get. Or a brickbuild door.

Edit: nice layout! Your turntable certainly looks great!

Edited by THERIZE

I really love this whole layout. The thing is, is this the whole thing, or will you add more track so you can run loops through it?

some creator sets have 'house type doors'. Those would look more old. I think that's the most old look you could get. Or a brickbuild door.

Edit: nice layout! Your turntable certainly looks great!

Thank you, a brickbuild door could be a option.

I really love this whole layout. The thing is, is this the whole thing, or will you add more track so you can run loops through it?

Thanks

I will first finish this bit of layout, and when that is done I will see what's next.

It is/will be part of group layout so there will be a full loop when it's done but that will probably not be before August.

16879758812_05a26da4ae_z.jpg

Planning by Erwin, on Flickr

Wow! Looks really good! I like how you have built the roundhouse at a slight angle to match up with the roundhouse.

Thank you, if there is no angle, it wouldn't be a roundhouse right? :wink:

The roundhouse is looking great, both from a railroad perspective (spot on) and from a general building perspective, e.g., I like how you've blended the brick bricks using plates or tiles to make for a more realistic transition.

Wow, that roundhouse is looking very nice. Those windows are looking great and nice detail with those wooden plate in front of the window. And you probably find a nice solution for the door as well. I am also looking forward to seeing your solution for the big doors for the trains to pass through.

The roundhouse is looking great, both from a railroad perspective (spot on) and from a general building perspective, e.g., I like how you've blended the brick bricks using plates or tiles to make for a more realistic transition.

Thank you Zephyr1934.

Wow, that roundhouse is looking very nice. Those windows are looking great and nice detail with those wooden plate in front of the window. And you probably find a nice solution for the door as well. I am also looking forward to seeing your solution for the big doors for the trains to pass through.

Thank you, this is my current solution, it sadly won't open. :sceptic: The big doors on the front is something I'm not sure about how to solve that.

17966823285_2d9e8834b6_z.jpg

Roundhouse update 22-5 [outside] by Erwin, on Flickr

The roundhouse looks very promising, this is going to be an amazing layout when completed.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some update photo's:

17780556249_a190ceb76c_z.jpg

Roundhouse update 22-5 [interior] by Erwin, on Flickr

17779190170_f387ae020e_z.jpg

More pictures soon (hopefully :tongue: )

And the full set on FLICKR

That is some great detailing. I like the open drawer next to the red chair in the last photo, the partially open cardboard boxes throughout, and the tile rails along the inspection pits.

Thank you Zephyr1934.

Thank you, this is my current solution, it sadly won't open. :sceptic: The big doors on the front is something I'm not sure about how to solve that.

17966823285_2d9e8834b6_z.jpg

Roundhouse update 22-5 [outside] by Erwin, on Flickr

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some update photo's:

17780556249_a190ceb76c_z.jpg

17779190170_f387ae020e_z.jpg

More pictures soon (hopefully :tongue: )

And the full set on FLICKR

Good to see the brickbuild door! It looks very realistic and matches the style of the roundhouse!