Sign in to follow this  
Paul B Technic

MOC - Asphalt Paving Machine (C Model of set 42024)

Recently I purchased a second copy of LEGO Technic set 42024. My original copy of this set had been used for parts / MOCing. When I purchased my second copy my plan was to just part it out and add the parts to my collection for building like I had done with my original copy. After thinking about it overnight I decided to instead see if I could create a C model using just the parts for this set. Following some research online I settled on designing and building something different from what I have seen built in the past, this is an asphalt paving machine, like those in the link below:

https://www.google.c...fe=off&tbm=isch

Due to the nature of the parts in this set I spent a lot of time planning the build to both use as many pieces from this set as possible and to try and keep the colour scheme consistent.

The building process started with the chassis, this was scaled off the front tripper which would be built from the 5x11 panels for the bottom and sides. The chassis uses a tri frame design (see photos below) which allows me the room to run the functions and also gives it a good amount of strength. Once I had the width of the front section sorted I then started building backwards, adding the rear wheels which feature hand of god (HOG) steering.

Next I built the chassis to the back and then filled in the body work on top of and around it, this took a lot of trial and error to get the angles correct with the limited pieces I had to use, a couple of times I was tempted to use parts from my collection however I resisted as this would make it not a true “C model”. I then added the control cabin with a seat and controls. I also built and added the front tipper section and this made it start to look like an asphalt paving machine. By this time I was starting to run very low on some parts so I added the bottom mounted levelling blade and the rear sealing deck, this meant stealing some pieces off the main body of the model to ensure I had a consistent colour scheme; those parts that don’t match have been hidden inside the body as much as possible. Finally I added some details like the front / rear / top lights and I used some of the left over parts to fill in some details and add the roof to the top of the cabin area.

Features:

- Hand of God (HOG) steering via the knob on the top of the body section.

- Front tipper section lifts via the knob on the side of the body section.

- Rear sealing deck lifts via knob on the rear.

- Manual raising and lower of bottom mounted levelling blade

- Side access panel opens to allow access to engine area

Specs:

Length: 37 cm

Width: 18 cm

Height: 19.5 cm

Parts Used: Around 820

Total build time: Approx 15 hours

Overall:

This is the third custom C model I have designed and built in the past 18 months, so far it has been the most challenging and also the most enjoyable / rewarding once it was finished. The limited parts selection and colours meant some design changes were needed “on the fly” as I was building. I am very pleased with how well it has turned out and it fits in nicely to my ever expanding “civil services / construction” theme collection.

I also think this is the first custom C model that has been designed and built using just the parts from LEGO Technic set 42024.

More photos can be found on my blog: http://paulstechnic....c-model-of.html

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(9).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(2).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(3).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(4).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(5).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(7).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(7a).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(8).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(11).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(16).JPG

MOC-Asphalt_Paving_Machine+(18).JPG

Edited by Paul B

Not as good as the original model, but still, not bad

If you had the right pieces (but obviously there are restrictions here) you could make it way better

I'd say about average, not as good as official B models.

Edited by anton1678

Not as good as the original model, but still, not bad

If you had the right pieces (but obviously there are restrictions here) you could make it way better

I'd say about average, not as good as official B models.

I dislike the way you critique other member's models. How do comments like 'not as good', 'not bad', 'make it way better' or 'about average' help the OP?

(I might be biased due to your tendency to shitpost + no evidence of building proficiency)

I dislike the way you critique other member's models. How do comments like 'not as good', 'not bad', 'make it way better' or 'about average' help the OP?

Ditto

Personally, this is the first time I've seen an Asphalt Paver MOC and I have to say I like it a lot. Considering you restricted yourself to the parts from the 42024 I think you've captured the essence of one really well. I think it's great! :classic::thumbup:

Edited by grum64

Cool work 'Paul B', I might want to try a minifig scale version of that model of yours......Brick On ! :grin:

You made a good job turning a skip truck into a paver,it looks very sturdy which is always good. :classic:

Concidering the awful colour combination that was inevitable, I'd say the result is pretty damn good! :thumbup: I too can't recall having seen one of these made in Technic before :classic:

building with the parts from a single set will always be harder than taking what ever you need from bricklink/ebay. I think this is spot on. we have these all over the place in the UK right now and I can see what it is straight away.

I really like it( except for the colors) and its an interesting choice for a vehicle too!

Thanks for all the feedback. It is hard to make something that looks "good" with the colours from this set :(

I am just about to add some more photos to my original post.

I am planning on buying another copy and making the B model, has anybody done this as yet?

it looked odd to me at first but I get it now. I've seen many of these, they are always re-surfacing the roads here and they park up at the end of our street. A good job considering you restricted yourself to those parts and colours. Best colour is probably yellow and black.

A good choice of vehicle to build and well executed.

H

Blaw_Knox_Wheeled_Pavers.jpg

Edited by Horace T

(I might be biased due to your tendency to shitpost + no evidence of building proficiency)

I suppose my comments can be a bit useless, though I don't see how all of the other comments are better than mine, or how all of them help the OP and mine doesn't.

I suppose my comments can be a bit useless, though I don't see how all of the other comments are better than mine, or how all of them help the OP and mine doesn't.

The issue is not whether or not your comment is useful. The issue is that your comment is negative.

There is nothing wrong with a little critique, and suggestions to improvements on things that one think could be better, but if one only has negative things to say, I'd suggest keeping it to oneself..

I'd say this c-model is at least as good as the official B-model, and good effort put into making it! :thumbup:

The issue is not whether or not your comment is useful. The issue is that your comment is negative.

There is nothing wrong with a little critique, and suggestions to improvements on things that one think could be better, but if one only has negative things to say, I'd suggest keeping it to oneself..

Ok, I have always been a bit of a pessimist, I'll try to be more positive here, good instead of not bad, full instead of not empty, it could be worse instead of could be better

Just positive word choice

I always forget

I'd say this c-model is at least as good as the official B-model, and good effort put into making it! :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback, I am really happy with how it has worked out.

I'm sure you can convey the ideas in your post with more decent language.

Please keep the discussion on Paul B's MOC :classic: