Sign in to follow this  
Paradosis

Unnamed Pirate Ship

Here are some pictures of a pirate ship I built yesterday. This is the first MOC I've posted on a forum. :)

(I can't seem to post the pics, it says that "dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed"... ? )

Here are some pictures of a pirate ship I built yesterday. This is the first MOC I've posted on a forum. :)

(I can't seem to post the pics, it says that "dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed"... ? )

COol, the colors flow together well... and it looks like it came together well. I like how you have placed your guns below deck completely, looks like their is little headroom (as their shouldn't be much anyway!)

Some critisisms and comments:

First, i think you need a mizen mast on the rear, then the ship may look more balanced.

Second, the extended bow seems weird, at least to me, if you added the mizen in the back to balance it maybe this would not seem as odd anymore! but some bows were extended pretty far, so i don't think this detracts too much from the ship. just a personal preference here.

third, the second quarterdeck on the stern is a bit high, but ok. Alot of people here are not fans of high decks and tend to like more modern looking ships which are built with a level deck in corvette style... however I am not one of those people, i like the older feel and the decks, though your second deck seems to high for me. But it is ok....

forth, and i am not a realist when it comes to MOCs so i don't care, but others may point out that your rigging is wrong and it should go side to side. I think it looks ok though.

Overall, i think this is a pretty fun MOC. and it is good to see you post one, it adds to the community.

But my major complaint it that you launched a ship without a name!!!! :) you can't do that! its your baby, give her a name!

Looking forward to more of your MOCs.

Edit, i just realized you are from western PA, is that PA as in Pennsylvania? if so where? I'm up in Erie

justin_004.jpg

justin_025.jpg

0113.jpg

justin_001.jpg

Here you can see the ships wheel, Mr paradosis, why did you put the wheel that high? The wheel should be on the deck below it(you can see that in the picture) the railing should be higher, a poor sailor could just fall over board....

justin_009.jpg

I help you out with images, here they are!

This is a nice ship, but it looks a bit strange, I think it needs a third mast, the rigging suddenly stops at the main mast, the stern looks a bit blocky, and the bow is a bit...pointy. The color scheme is okay, the design could use some work

good work!

Arrr

Mr Tiber

Thank you for your comments, especially the critiques. I will be sure to remember them the next time I'm working on a ship. It's wierd how you don't notice that something is wrong, until someone points it out to you, and then it seems so obvious that you aren't sure how you missed it! :)

I'm from Latrobe, PA, which is about 50 miles directly East of Pittsburgh, so unfortunately I'm a few hours drive from Erie.

good ship i like it...is really cool with the red and black colours...and 5 cannons! Great MOC man...i'd name it "dark galleon" for example

Off the bat what strikes me the most is the ship's rigidness. I agree that a third mast would balance the ship out and the cabin’s height is a bit disturbing. But after my last ship, who am I to judge? ;-) Is there any particular reason for the shrouds’ placement? Lastly, do you plan to furnish the ship’s interior?

The skeleton at the bow’s tip intrigues me. And where exactly is the Captain?! The ship’s aft is quite a slope-a-licious delight. I’d like to see a sharper image.

Well, I'm afraid I took it apart to start on a new ship, or I'd try to take some better pictures :) I was trying to do some different things with that ship, and some of them definately didn't work! I also wasn't thinking on some of the things. I had put a bed, treasure chest, etc. in the lower deck, but I didn't really make much of an attempt to put much else down there. The Captain is on the main deck, being offered a drink; my wife asked me if the sailor was trying to get him drunk, heh.

Well, I'm afraid I took it apart to start on a new ship, or I'd try to take some better pictures :) I was trying to do some different things with that ship, and some of them definately didn't work! I also wasn't thinking on some of the things. I had put a bed, treasure chest, etc. in the lower deck, but I didn't really make much of an attempt to put much else down there. The Captain is on the main deck, being offered a drink; my wife asked me if the sailor was trying to get him drunk, heh.

Can ya give us some in progress pictures? *pirate*

To be honest, I was unhappy with that ship as well, so it only got halfway completed. I'm going to get some more of certain types of bricks before I try another one, so that I can make it less blocky than I've been doing. Fwiw, here are some pics of my unfinished Steelers ship...

justin_044.jpg

justin_052.jpg

justin_053.jpg

unfinished_steeler_ship.jpg

justin_060mod.jpg

Though I'm not sure how I would have worked things out once the masts/sails/etc. were up, the ship was designed to have the majority of the main deck removable, so that you could access the lower deck where the canons were. In the last pic, the red box outlines the part that was removable, which didn't actually have any attachment to anything underneath, but was entirely resting on the smooth/studless plates. The thing keeping it in place would have been the weight from the mast/sails, the door to the captain's cabin (which sticks out ever so slightly), and the fancy-pants ornamentation on the sides above the middle canon.

Mmmm looks good, but maybe a bit over-decorated... It has been quite along time since your last post in here, so I thought you may have improved the ship, if so, can you give is pictures of the ship??? *pirate*

justin_060mod.jpg

I really like the fancy "ornamentation" ye have over the middle cannon ports. It would be intriguing to see that on a smaller scale over each cannon port.

Heh? What's going on here? Mr Paradosis you seem to have started building a new ship in the middle of a thread for a different ship. Should the threads be split so each ship gets its own discussion or is this the way you intended it to be?

Are you even about Mr Paradosis?