Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

MOC / MOD - Blue Bonnet AT&SF diesel - EMD F7 A + B units

Climb aboard for the 13th anniversary of the LEGO Santa Fe Super Chief! (set 10020) This model combines an updated version of the EMD F7 engine with a new cab-less "B" unit AND in a different color. (blue instead of red) This model uses new parts and new techniques not available in 2002, including the windscreen from the 2014 Cargo Train. (60052)

16737029023_40329ebeaa_z.jpg

This Bluebonnet MOC is Eurobricks user raven1280's Bluebonnet MOD with a couple of my own twists inserted in some places. For example, instead of using custom stickers for the windscreen and porthole windows, I'm using regular Lego parts. Also, the undercarriage is black (not gray) on the bluebonnet engine because of this photo: (NOTE: this photo is not mine) http://images.mocpag...681_DISPLAY.jpg

See Raven1280's topic here: http://www.eurobrick...c=97381&hl=blue

16734785494_f7a3bc71e0_z.jpg

Please note, the 1x1 tiles printed numbers "302" are missing from the engine's nose, and the letters ATSF are missing from the carbody sides, as they are not in LDD.

16734785454_95f8aeeb22_z.jpg

The rear of the engine features crew walkways. Also, there is no inside of the locomotive and the roof does not come off.

Semi-fictional background:

Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe #302 is one of a very rare breed. Built in August 1949 as a “A” (cab) and “B” (booster) F7 diesel unit for the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (AT&SF), This Electro-Motive Division (EMD) product was painted in a variant of the famous Warbonnet (red yellow and silver) color scheme called Bluebonnet (blue yellow and silver). The engine was intended for freight service and did so faithfully for 28 years. In late 1977 the two unit set was on the short list for conversion to an CF7 hood unit when the Wabash Frisco & Pacific (or WF&P for short) went looking for a engine to pull it's recently refurbished Merrimack River Runner. The Santa Fe gave them a two-for-one special on the tired F7 units, with the WF&P buying the A unit and getting the B for free. The new owner realized the historic meaning of this deal more than the old owner did: this was one of the last bluebonnet engines left, and one of a handful of AT&SF F7's not converted to the horrid looking CF7 hood unit. Needless to say, the WF&P snapped up the offer, and even sent the loco to the EMD La Grange, Illinois assembly plant for the motor to be replaced with a newer, more powerful and easier-to-maintain power plant. The units came back to the WF&P in 1979, and have since been teamed up with the recently restored Southern Pacific Daylight #4460 (owned by the St. Louis-based National Transportation Museum) for trips up and around WF&P system.

This story is somewhat rooted in truth: EMD did build AT&SF a F7 numbered 302, but it probably did not carry the bluebonnet scheme and was most likely scrapped or turned into a CF7 in the 1970's. The Wabash Frisco & Pacific is a 12 inch gauge mile-long ride-on railroad, and although they have diesels, they only have a Alco PA lookalike, not an EMD F7. They are based in Glencoe, Missouri, and their website is here: http://www.wfprr.com/WFPRR/

LDD file for the bluebonnet diesel units: http://www.mocpages....1430676420m.lxf

(Also, I've posted this engine before, but not in it's own topic. Sorry if i did something wrong by posting it again!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks good with the 60052 windows. Didn't you do this before with different windows?

Looks good with the 60052 windows. Didn't you do this before with different windows?

Yes, but it was in a topic that was dedicated to random train builds. I though a dedicated topic was in order.