Sign in to follow this  
Dragon King

Why not delete posts

Well on this board i will sometimes notice a post has been deleted. Also sometimes some person gets the idea to do something stupid on a topic then an Admin closes the topic. Why not delete the post and keep the topic running?

why can't we delete our own posts, i mean i sometimes write something i might regret and maybe i want to delete the post and in a case where i start a new thread, delete the topic. However i cant even request that the mods delete it because i'm not allowed to change the title of my own topic. No offense to the admins, but these forums lack some very fundamental and easy to program technology.

That's not about easy programing, that's about asking members to use their brains... We could do those change instantly, but changing a topic is not an action members should be allowed to perform on their own. As a topic starter, you must take your time to think about the ideas or debate you want to launch. If you keep changing the title, people will be lost.

As for the post deletion, think before posting, that is all I can say. And if you still regret what you wrote, just edit your post.

I agree with Jipay.

The best web advice for forums is still

"Think twice, post once."

Don't let the thought of making a mistake or writing something stupid stop you from making posts either though. People really appreciate the feedback and number of veiws doesn't mean as much to someone as even a quick "nice job" does. But remember . . .

Another wise saying is

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Say, there is a 10-page thread. You decide to delete 2 of your own posts. Result: the thread might become a mess because those post aren't there anymore. People might have reacted to the posts you deleted. Those reactions then don't make any sense anymore...

first of all, jipay indicated in another topic about this that the admins are deleting senseless topics already. Normally, they'll wait a while before doing that to see if the topic is going anywhere. if it is, then they'll just leave it at that. if it turns out to be horrible, they'll close it. If it really doesn't make any sense, they'll delete the lot, usually sooner than later.

second, EB would become pretty chaotic if every member could just delete his/her own posts whenever he/she feels like. However, you can always modify your post...

I concur with Jipay, SuvieD and Sne !!!

I will just add that members always have the possibility of pming us (the admins) for help on specific actions :wink:

Hey we are also here for that !!!

Yoda

no i was suggesting the system they use on some forums, where you can delete your post only if it is the last post in a thread, therefore it doesnt matter because no one replied after that post anyway. I mean sometimes i cant think of anything to say on topic and this causes me to just put 'deleted post' if i could say 'hey nice weather' then editing would work fine, but that isnt on topic so i would get sent back to the chamber. And about the changing titles. Well, on all the forums ive ever belonged to, no one has abused this system and i doubt out of all the forums that they would abuse it here. Apart from this i could edit any of my posts to say something entirely different anyway, isnt that one of the reasons to use quotes? and couldnt you quote somebody who later deleted a post? And what about this?

i live in a windmill

obviously nobody uses this alias on these forums and obviously no one has admited to living in a mindmill on these threads...? im just saying

If you regret something just edit it and put NVM or something, I've done that before :-/