Renderbricks

Photoreal LEGO Rendering: 10179 - Millennium Falcon UCS

Hi to all LEGO addicts.

In my posting "Photoreal LEGO Rendering" I was showing the progress of my research how to render photoreal LEGO with LDRAW and MODO. Finally I could work out to convert LDR models into MODO with all the important details. Here's now the ultimate stress test with the awesome LEGO set 10179. Thanks to DenJansen for the LDD file. The model will take the full 32 GB RAM of my DELL. The scene is extremely slow and needs a lot of patience to setup. The next release of the LDR converter I use might support instances of objects what would make a great difference to load such a complex model with over 5.000 parts. The rendertime for each picture in 8K resolution was 1 hour what is pretty fast for this level of quality and detail. Looking closer now the model has some issues I probably will fix like the right side of the cockpit or the MiniFigs.

Click onto the pictures for the 8K version.

10179_Millennium_Falcon_UCS_v03_Front.jpg

10179_Millennium_Falcon_UCS_v04_Back.jpg

Edited by virtualrepublic

Wow.

I would love to have MODO and get rendering all kind of stuff with that level of detail, but I think, even if I would be able to get modo (legally or not), it wouldn't be that fast (if it would work at all) on my machine :laugh:

I have a simple 3 year old AMD quad core on 3.5ghz (although together with my mobo it can run as a hexa core on 3.7ghz) and only 8gb of ram. It works great for what I do, but for that rendering.... :grin:

That's fantastics renders! :thumbup:

The only missing thing is some rendered dust... to make it even more realistic :grin:

That's fantastics renders! :thumbup:

The only missing thing is some rendered dust... to make it even more realistic :grin:

More stress please :laugh:

Amazing as always :thumbup: :thumbup: ! You may join the team for next Lego movie. :laugh:

Are you interested in to render some extreme rare sets that there is no photo availible at all on internet? So all of us can see how they look like exactly. That will be real useful of photoreal LEGO Rendering. Because it is almost impossible to take their real photos with real camera. :wink:

4000001 Moulding Machines -just a few real set photos

4000008 Villy Thomson Truck [LEGO Inside Tour, 2013] -just a few brickling copy set photos

4000012 Piper Airplane -no photo at all, only box art

Edited by bbqqq

Amazing!!!

There are a few small thing that still give it away as a rendering, but it's becoming increasingly hard to find them. :sweet:

So I'm only mentioning the following super-small details because everything is so good, they are the only things left :tongue:

1) There is something odd about how this looks. I believe the hole should be a bit larger - or it could be something about the way the radius/bevels should be. Not sure

2) Here you can still see some anomaly where it looks as though the bricks fuse together.

3) Here you can see that the the bricks are still a fraction too translucent.

post-4755-0-70450000-1399379666_thumb.png

[...]

2) Here you can still see some anomaly where it looks as though the bricks fuse together.

[...]

That doesn't happen in real life!?

:tongue:

Amazing as always :thumbup: :thumbup: ! You may join the team for next Lego movie. :laugh:

Are you interested in to render some extreme rare sets that there is no photo availible at all on internet? So all of us can see how they look like exactly. That will be real useful of photoreal LEGO Rendering. Because it is almost impossible to take their real photos with real camera. :wink:

4000001 Moulding Machines -just a few real set photos

4000008 Villy Thomson Truck [LEGO Inside Tour, 2013] -just a few brickling copy set photos

4000012 Piper Airplane -no photo at all, only box art

I will take a look into these sets.

Amazing!!!

There are a few small thing that still give it away as a rendering, but it's becoming increasingly hard to find them. :sweet:

So I'm only mentioning the following super-small details because everything is so good, they are the only things left :tongue:

1) There is something odd about how this looks. I believe the hole should be a bit larger - or it could be something about the way the radius/bevels should be. Not sure

3) Here you can see that the the bricks are still a fraction too translucent.

I can adjust the material shader but model fixes are hard to do because I just use the existing LDD model and have to live with the results after the export/import.

The translucency is more a reflection on the surface.

Optimally would be to use studs with an own bevel radius. But this will cause more geometry and this is a bad idea. I need to wait for an importer creating instances of repeating bricks.

Beautiful :thumbup:

Can you share your importer? Or give some insights how you do it?

I'm most interested in setting up the material and shaders to get such amazing results.

Up to now I use blenders LDR Import and then export it as fbx for use in other programs.

@bbqqq: regarding the Villy Thompson set, I have the instructions for that set. So we have the instructions and the photo :tongue:

Edited by Stephan

Looks great. To get my LDD geo into Max I exported from LDD as an ldr opened that up in Leocad and exported as an obj. I used Arch & Design material using the rounded edges. Is this how you did it?

My issues are that some geo is faceted and low res, yours looks higher res in places, also upon import into max some parts did not import\show up.

What lighting setup did you use? I want to render out my Soundwave model, and want to know how others have approached it. http://andrewclarkart.blogspot.com/p/old-cg-art.html

Thanks Andy.

Hi everybody,

After the UCS Millennium Falcon has been built on Mecabricks by one of the user - DaPhatty - I thought it was a good exercise to see what I could get out of Blender. I exported the model in Collada with "group geometry" and "lego logo" options activated. In Blender, I used a HDR environment map to light up the scene plus my custom nodes for bricks materials.

Here is the result after 2 hours of rendering time for this 4K version:

17038771508_ac64371b3c_c.jpg

UCS Millennium Falcon by mecabricks, on Flickr

Edited by Scrubs

Amazing! almost perfect. Just some brick gaps look like black line. Can't see the reflection of bevels and texture on roof tiles.

Great job for Scrubs and DaPhatty that can build this model on Mecabrick .

For close up. MODO(cost) render is more photo-like than Blender(free) one.

Can you make more rendering form different angle, and on the wooden plane?

Edited by bbqqq

Thank you!

I think the black lines comes from the combination of a gap which is too narrow and the use of the shader to round the edges.

Reflection of the textures works - not too visible on this rendering - but you are right for fake bevels reflection. To go faster, it doesn't appear on reflection.