• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Police Boat

Set #: 709

Year Released: 1977

Piece Count: 50

Minifigs: 1

List Price: unknown

Released in 1977, this police boat is the same as set #314 released one year earlier with the exception of a moveable minifig that replaced an earlier "armless fig".

Starting with the instructions:

01instruct.jpg

The single minifig:

02fig.jpg

The set included a single red weight to keep the boat from tipping:

03weight.jpg

Here's the side view of the little boat, with decals that have long been lost at sea:

04boat1.jpg

A shot of the back of the boat:

05back.jpg

The set had three air-tight boat sections that connected to form the hull:

06hull.jpg

And the entire set:

07set.jpg

Final Thoughts:

While set 709 is by far not the best of Lego boats, it was Lego's 2nd floating boat (set # 314 being the first). The design was the same with the only real difference being the minifig (mentioned above). One must consider the age of this set when comparing it to the fine detailed sets of today.

It got an above average. Extremely nice for its time. But even then, it must have looked a little bit plain, as well as only having one fig. But still, this old set's got some serious charm. It has your basic bricks and adds something unique to a police force... the ability to kick some baddie brick over water. Plus, the red (they couldn't have used black, white or clear :hmpf_bad: ) weight on the bottom seems like an interesting idea. Does it work very well?

Oh, and thanks for the review!

I can give the same comments as with the fire-boat. Still this one isnt looking that awkward and the minifig is an excellent additon. Wil give it a 3 for that

Honestly, while I understand how old it is, it still doesn't really seem that interesting. The main draw is the floating boat - and beyond that there isn't really much to say. I think a three is fair, since this set doesn't jump out at me like other classics. :wink:

I think for the time it was released the details are fine, I mean 1977 not 2008 we have finer detailed parts know, While the new boat hulls add a level of creation to MOC's these hulls were great for the time I built mine into a pleasure boat and a Oil rig tender once upon a time.

Once again great review!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: