Review: 7881 Batman - Batmobile: Two Face's Escape

10 replies to this topic

#1 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

Review of The Batmobile: Two Faceís Escape.

So, after getting my picture taken at Wal-Mart, I happened to find a copy of 7881 in the Lego isle. Remembering how this kit was getting good reviews over here, I shelled out the $30 to get it. Now that I look back, I know I made a good decision.

The Box:

I really like these Batman boxes. They have great lighting and effects, and they just look darn cool! I did notice though, that they altered the set slightly, but more on that later.

The back has some shots showing the action features of the set, a scene with all the batman sets, a shot showing the accessories includes, and my favorite part of the box, a hand drawn comic showing Two-Faceís bank heist and ďescape.Ē The comic is really great for being only four panels, a nice addition to the boxes.

Overall Rating: 9/10

The Contents:

Like most FOLís, I didnít make it home before giving into the urge to open the box. After getting home, though, I spilled out the contents, which included some parts bags, an instruction manual, and a small set of stickers. I like how Lego put the pieces for each assembly in a different bag, and not just jumble them all together.

The Figs:

As usual, TLC let me down at least somewhat with the figures. This is a $30 set, and it still only comes with 3 figures. Still, Two Face is awesome, and the exclusive black Batman is great, too. Besides them, one Two Face henchman is included, making me wish TLC had have been kind enough to add a second one.

Overall Rating: 8/10

The Parts:

This set has a lot of great parts, and actually has a fair amount of grey, yellow, and white bricks! The Batmobile has a heaping helping of black slopes, curves, and wedges, including 16(!) 1 by 2/3 tall slopes. Some cool gold wheels, a streetlight pole, chain, big projectile launcher, and two flexible dragon wings are also included. The set is rounded off with a nice set of accessories (Batarangs, guns, and handcuffs) that is included in every batman set.

Overall Rating: 10/10

The Building Experience:

I really enjoyed building this kit. I loved watching the Batmoblie slowly take shape, and had a lot of fun overall. I think the best part of building it was that there was no annoying assemblies that you had to build 3 or 4 times, like in the Exo-Force kits (Think: leg assemblies).

Overall Rating: 10/10

The Finished Models:

The Batmobile:

Well, the Batmobile sure looks great! Very smooth and car-like, and it uses the slopes and curves to achieve that well. Plus, the interior is very good looking. However, I really think putting batwings on every vehicle is a bit of a stretch, and my personal opinion is that most of the models look better without them. Overall, though, TLC nailed the look and design on Batmanís ride, making it easily my favorite part of the kit.

Rating: 9/10

Two Faceís Modified Bank Van:

I love this little thing! The split color scheme looks great, making the stickers actually needed for once! The pullout guns are a nice touch, although to make them be able to flip down, TLC had to make a gap on both sides, lowering the overall look and rating.

Rating: 9/10

The Road Accessories:

Not much to say, just a spike strip and a gate. I like the lamp post though. Nothing special, but still okay.

Rating: 7/10

Overall Rating: 8.3/10

Playability:

Surprisingly, this was my least favorite aspect of the kit. This is because of two things. The first, is stability of some of the structures. I ended taking off the bat wings and flames on the Batmobile in order to be able to race it down my hallway. This is because of the weakness of those structures: they just fall off too easily. Two Faceís van has weakness problems too, as the back bumper and pull-out guns are attached very weakly. The second reason is because of a design flaw. In order to shoot the back of Two Faceís van, you have to lift the Batmobile up a bit, making the whole procedure a bit clumsy. If you shoot the van while the Batmobile is flat on the ground, it shoots the bumper, and not the target.

Still, itís very fun to have street chases with the two vehicles, and the problems that I mentioned by no means makes this kit a bad kit.

Overall Rating: 7/10

The Box: 9/10
The Mini-Figures: 8/10
The Pieces: 10/10
The Building Experience: 10/10
The Completed Models: 8.3/10
The Playability: 7/10
---------------------------------------
Final Rating: 8.7/10

This kit is a must have for anybody interested in Lego Batman, as well as for anybody else who likes legos. Itís great design, great parts and great figures make it well worth the $30 needed to get it. Buy it if you can.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Sweden

Sweden

• Enigmatic Humour

Member: 105

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:48 AM

Grevious

Let me be the first to say: What a excellent review. Way different from the ever so boring and usual stuff.

What makes your review superior to all others is because of your use of words and thoughts. You're using your brain as well as thoughts and feelings and that's intelligent.

Unlike all others I've got no need what so ever for pictures as I already know what it looks like. Thoughts and feelings are what interests me at least.

Once again:

What a excellent review. Finally something intelligent. Two thumbs up. I mean it. I'm 100% honest.

Keep up the damn good work.

By the way... If someone else says something else. Just ignore them. They ain't worth it at all.

Sweden - The One... And Only.

#3 Beagle

Beagle

Member: 418

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

Nice review!  Descriptive, to-the-point, and informative!  

I don't have any of the Batman sets yet, but from the looks (and sounds) of them they appear to be quite good.  With the exception of those gaudy bat-wings.  I've found those really off-putting since the first pics of the sets appeared.  I wonder how feasible it would be to replace them with slopes.... seems like it would be more understated, and more lego-like.

#4 Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo

• Well Liked Member

Member: 88

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Fantastic review, but I thought the balck batman was available in another set? The batwing?  :-/

Anyway, Sweden please don't try and bait others into a very dead arguement, it ain't really nice  :-)

#5 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:40 PM

Great review mate, i dont think i need say anything else about it really as it speaks for itself.

Oh and regarding your last post i couldnt of put it better myself.

#6 jonfett

jonfett

• The Wise Belville Fairy

Member: 12

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:15 PM

Nice review Grevious. We have seen so many pictures of this now so we can imagine what you are saying here. I liked the way you split it up into certain aspects, it was a great read! This is probably the first Batman set I will get, it looks really great but your review has given me some great new views of it!

Jon.

#7 reideen1313

reideen1313

• Alfred ??????

Member: 599

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

Good review Grevious.  Only one point to mention - the baggie of Bat-accessories doesn't come with every set.  It is not included with the Catwoman/Dragster set.

View PostSarg_Kulo, on Apr 5 2006, 12:26 PM, said:

Fantastic review, but I thought the balck batman was available in another set? The batwing?  :-/

Nope.  The all black suited Batman is exclusive to this set.  The other three all have the black & grey suit.  I WISH LEGO would have included the blue & grey fig.  It was really the nicest of the bunch IMO.

#8 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

View Postreideen1313, on Apr 5 2006, 10:35 PM, said:

View PostSarg_Kulo, on Apr 5 2006, 12:26 PM, said:

Nope.  The all black suited Batman is exclusive to this set.  The other three all have the black & grey suit.  I WISH LEGO would have included the blue & grey fig.  It was really the nicest of the bunch IMO.

Isn't he going to be in the Batcave set?

Great review, BTW. *y*
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#9 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

I do believe your right Dillon, there is a black suit batman pictured with that set.

Sarg i like you was very disapointed that the wasnt another Two-Face henchman in this set, i suppose that lego looked at this set and thought all they needed to include was a driver for the van a Two-face and of course it would cut down the cost of producing the set.

Did anyone else find that the instructions for this and the other batman sets to be quite dark?? My instructions were very hard to view, so i wonder if it was just mine or is it a world wide thing.

#10 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Member: 628

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

View Postvader316, on Apr 6 2006, 02:15 PM, said:

Did anyone else find that the instructions for this and the other batman sets to be quite dark?? My instructions were very hard to view, so i wonder if it was just mine or is it a world wide thing.

Yes, I had a ton of trouble building the Batmobile; even with a 100-watt lightbulb at my workbench, during daylight hours.

The Batwing wasn't as bad, but still worse than a lot of instructions I've seen.

#11 Beagle

Beagle

Member: 418

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

Yeah... maybe this is a topic for a new thread, but I've been kind of frustrated with Lego instruction manuals lately in general.  Besides being printed kinda dark, their color printing is WAY off.  This might not have been a problem when Lego only came in seven or eight colors.  But now with all the varying shades of blue, light grey, dark grey, sand blue, sand green, etc......  often I find myself staring at a piece, brow furrowed, trying to figure out if it's a black or a grey piece I should be looking for.  

I guess you could say it adds to the challenge or is part of the Lego experience.... but personally I think in this day and age it is just sloppy quality control.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users