REVIEW: 9499 – Gungan Sub

136 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• 5 – Darth Maul
    • 4 – Qui-Gon Jinn
    • 3 – Padme Amidala
    • 2 – Young Anakin
    • 1 – Jar-Jar Binks
  2. 2. What attracts you the most in this set?

• The Queen Amidala minifig – a majestic addition to any SW minifig collection!
    • The new and improved Gungan Sub – a significant update of the blocky ’99 version
    • The complete package – the set appeals to me as a whole
    • Meh.. Messa dunno likey-likey dis set

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Yes, it is all about the Queen – Queen Amidala that is – the character that most Star Wars FOLs have been clamoring to see in minifig form for a very long time. For some reason or another, TLG has kept depriving us of this highly-requested minifig year after year after year. But after 13 long years, the big revelation came out at in last year’s San Diego Comic-Con that TLG will finally release a Queen Amidala minifig – to almost all SW FOLs’ delight and excitement! People wondered in what set this minifig would come in, until came the news that it will come with the set 9499 Gungan Sub, an updated version of the similarly-named 7161 Gungan Sub from way back 1999. Arguably this Queen Amidala minifig is the perceived highlight of this particular set, but one has to wonder, is it worth purchasing the whole set just to get this mighty fine-looking minifig? Does the set have more to offer other than the Queen Amidala minifig? Let’s all take a closer look in this set review to find out.

7604912784_1e9ab5be75_o.jpg

Name: Gungan Sub

Number: 9499

Theme: Star Wars | Subtheme: Prequel Trilogy (Episode I)

Year: 2012

Pieces: 465 Minifigs: 4

Price: $69.99 | £54.99

Links: Brickset | Bricklink | Peeron (not yet inventoried) | LEGO Shop@Home

The Box

The box is in the unusual vertical/upright orientation - because regular horizontal rectangular boxes are too mainstream. :hmpf: This wave will be the last we’ll see Darth Maul’s twisted neck mug in the boxart (thankfully, I’m just not a fan :grin: ) as 2013 will usher in the new Yoda boxart. The size is just about the normal size for a $70-set, and there’s one intriguing ‘surprise’ that came in this box (which we’ll see later).

7604910312_b6b8284873_o.jpg7604908360_2cf61f3f08_o.jpg

Click on the images to see hi-res versions.

The hazy greenish background is a bit bland compared to other set backdrops, but it represents the dark murky waters of Otoh Gunga perfectly. The faint detail of the Opee Sea Killer creepily stalking underneath/behind the Gungan Sub complements the vehicle quite well in recreating the “There’s always a bigger fish” scene in the movie. I also like the little air bubble details that creates the illusion of being underwater. However, an unwelcome eyesore appears as a flick-fire missile inexplicably fires off from the sub (I do not even recall the Bongo using a torpedo in the movie :wacko: ). The minifig line-up at the right side and the set details on the left complete the front look of the box.

Displayed at the back are the various playability features of the set plus a couple of movie scenes that can be recreated with this set. The layout is very professionally-designed, which I’ve always felt was under-appreciated and/or overlooked by fans. I like looking at these back panels, and I must say that the packaging designers really did a great job on this! (as well as with other SW sets) And look Ma, no push-off tabs! Now I wonder what could that mean…

7604907868_e054a26dd2_o.jpg

As what has become the recent trend, the minifig line-up shown at the top of the box differs from the one in the front, featuring the alternate faces of Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi (with their underwater breathing mouthpiece). It’s also interesting to note that there is no 1:1 minifig panel as the minifigs are already shown in actual minifig size – first time I actually observed this in a set.

The Contents

Surprise! Surprise! Pizza LEGO anyone?

7604907204_c25ef3ef06_o.jpg

The box opens like a pizza box – quite an unusual way to pack the contents for a set this size. I’m really curious why TLG decided not to use the usual box with the push/pull-off tabs for this set. The contents of the box include five numbered bags of precious LEGO, two instruction booklets, a small sticker sheet, and four loose flexi-tube pieces.

The Instruction Booklets

7604906524_e9d89e6936_o.jpg

The two instruction booklets came in relatively good condition without any folds and creases, even without any cardboard support.

Sample Pages

Here's a couple of interesting pages inside the instruction booklets:

7604905268_0d159525ca_o.jpg

Left: A mini 4-panel comic strip showcasing the Gungan Sub in action and the obligatory Jar-Jar’s clumsiness scene.

Right: A page showing the minifig line-up and the playability features – just in case you haven’t seen them in the box.

7604904558_970f54878e_o.jpg

A two-page spread displaying the sets (left) and minifigs (right) from this wave, subtly enticing the consumer: Gotta collect ‘em all!

Sticker Sheet and Loose Parts

7604903646_d2052734d8_o.jpg

Left: Who says “bigger is better” or “the more, the merrier”? Not with LEGO sets dreaded stickers, and I’m relieved to see only a small sticker sheet came in this set (though I would’ve preferred 100% printed elements).

Right: Unlike most sets where the loose parts are usually big plates and/or huge <insert that tiresome argument> pieces, only four small flexi-tube pieces came loose in this set.

The LEGO parts

Bag #1 Contents:

7604931586_2a5802966b_o.jpg

As we might all know from now, the bagged contents are systematically packed together with respect to the chronological order of the building process. As such the first bag contains the parts to build the first “part” of the set. The Jar-Jar Binks minifig is included in this bag. Noteworthy part for me is the trans-orange half-sphere rock piece. Plus, free brick separator!

Bag #2 Contents:

7604930640_754a3bc300_o.jpg

This is the bag with the least parts content but with the “most monetary value” as the three new minifigures, particularly the Queen Amidala fig, is contained in this bag.

Bag #3 Contents:

7604929834_92cea13e32_o.jpg

Lots of bley and blue pieces in the third bag, giving an idea that these would (obviously) make up for majority of the vehicle’s build.

Bag #4 Contents:

7604928830_69df0baf4d_o.jpg

Is this déjà vu? No you’re eyes aren’t deceiving you, this is not an error even if the contents of Bag #4 is almost exactly the same as those of Bag #3. They’re about 80% similar, the difference being the opposite orientation of the wedge plates. Know why? Hint: Symmetry.

Bag #5 Contents:

7604927934_c72ca6b9a0_o.jpg

Being the last bag the pieces contained here will be those for the “finishing touches” of the build. Pieces of interest are the three trans-clear bubble canopies.

The Minifigures

7604926988_69bd5e2533_o.jpg

The set treats us with the three new minifigs, though it feels like that the Queen Amidala minifig is the only “new” one since she’s the lone new character in the line-up. The Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi minifigs have double-faced heads to justify their “new status”, while Jar-Jar Binks is the same one from the 7929 Battle of Naboo set. We’ll take a closer look at these minifigs shortly.

Qui-Gon Jinn

7604926272_c42eef6cda_o.jpg

7604925332_0dbf952b85_o.jpg

The Qui-Gon Jinn minifig has the same face details as the one from the 7961 Sith Filtrator set. Nothing much going on with the torso, it’s the same ol' jedi robe print. As stated earlier, this new version has an alternate face featuring the underwater-breathing mouthpiece (A99 aquata breather say the SW geeks). The torso has back printing, thought it’s concealed when the cape is used.

Comparison of the Qui-Gon Jinn minifigure with previous versions

7604924544_8d729952e8_o.jpg

Here’s the evolution of the Qui-Gon Jinn minifig throughout the years. I personally prefer the original yellow-toned version, which, despite its relative simplicity, perfectly captures the overall look of the Qui-Gon in the movie. The additional face wrinkle details of the newer versions make the Qui-Gon look too old and in the process reduced the resemblance to the actual look of the character.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Padawan)

7604924026_408130bf63_o.jpg

7604923358_13c30187f8_o.jpg

First thing I noticed in this minifig – Ewan McGregor’s double cleft chin! :grin: That part is accurate, but other than that, I can’t see any other resemblance to young Obi-Wan. Though I like the belt detailing in the torso, which is an improvement from the previous versions.

Comparison of the Obi-Wan Kenobi minifigure with previous versions:

7604922682_d7ccef414b_o.jpg

The Jedi Padawan version of Obi-Wan Kenobi has also undergone various redesigns, five to be exact. The ‘99 version is still the best for me, as I prefer the more stoic, calm, and serious Jedi look as opposed to the more detailed but less Jedi-like expressive facial emotions of the newer ones.

7604922198_8860e53f57_o.jpg

Ready for a swim, Master?” Just wanted to show the pic of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon with their aqua-breather faces, which is true to the movie source material.

Jar-Jar Binks

7604921532_851c8af690_o.jpg

The only minifig in the set that is not “new” is Jar-Jar Binks, being the same version as the one from the 7929 Battle of Naboo set. If somehow you missed on that particular set, then this is a good chance to own this fig.

Comparison of the Jar-Jar Binks minifigure with previous version:

7604920948_421d9f1a04_o.jpg

As there have only been two variants of the Jar-Jar Binks minifig, it’s quite obvious that the new printed one looks much better with detailed prints. And I just wanted to annoy you with that dorky Jar-Jar image! :tongue:

Queen Amidala

Gentlemen and Ladies, Her Majesty Queen Amidala of Naboo”.

7604920578_2d47d69f1a_o.jpg

The minifig that almost all SW FOLs have been waiting for, the Queen Amidala fig certainly doesn’t disappoint. Just look at those intricate pearl gold prints on the torso and gown, and the elaborate mold detailing of the headdress – quite impressive aren’t they? :cry_happy: The “expression-less but with a hint of concern” look is also captured perfectly by the head face print.

7604918980_cf8a6ff7fc_o.jpg

For those who are curious, here’s a shot of the interior/underside of the leg/dress part. The circular area of the gown covers an area of 4 x 4 studs.

Comparison of the Queen Amidala minifigure with the source material

7604919726_fb614a1029_o.jpg

On the spot, I must say! Very accurate to the reference material but still retaining the LEGO look, despite the extravagance of the outfit.

And in spite of a couple of obvious but minor limitations (the inability to rotate the head and put the minifig in sitting position), the designers couldn’t have done a better job with this minifig IMO.

The Build

Bag #1 Build

7604952812_1e9748f9f0_o.jpg

First to be built is the back part of the Gungan Sub with the rotating tail propulsion. As we’ll see later, this also functions as a “mini-sub” a.k.a. “escape vehicle when all underwater hell breaks loose”. Jar-Jar Binks, two storage boxes, and an unidentified thingy (water bomb? Inflatable something?) also came from this bag.

Bag #2 Build

7604952066_044a041020_o.jpg

The base foundation of the Gungan Sub is built from Bag #2, together with the three new minifigs of the set. Not much to look at at this point, but it’s a start.

Bag #3 Build

7604951544_190e856d66_o.jpg

The Gungan Sub is slowly taking its shape as the first half of the body is built from the third bag. It’s at this stage that some interesting techniques were employed to achieve the tricky curved and sloping shape of the Bongo – specifically with the clever use of hinge plates and curved slopes.

Bag #4 Build

7604950698_fe8f83f496_o.jpg

To complete the other half of the sub, the steps from the Bag 3 instructions are basically repeated, but in the opposite direction.

Bag #5 Build

7604949866_f6be4a6dfe_o.jpg

Lastly, the final bag comprises of parts to build the top part of the sub and the curved part at the back. The “mini-sub” from Bag 1 is attached in the rear end and the Gungan Sub is now complete!

Leftover Parts

7604949042_464c9110ca_o.jpg

The usual suspects – 1x1 elements as extra parts. Good thing to know there’s no weird ‘regular’ part left hence no “hey, doofus you forgot something along the build” moment. :grin:

Different Views of the Gungan Sub

Quarter View

7604948526_ac61627f57_o.jpg

Top View

7604947646_cbe6feffd5_o.jpg

Side View

7604946768_28ee3219df_o.jpg

Quarter Rear View

7604946148_b94c6f9205_o.jpg

Front View

7604945288_9bdfcea2c4_o.jpg

Just to give everybody an idea on the size of this sub, here’s side-by-side shot with the 7965 Millennium Falcon:

7604938910_e41037762b_o.jpg

Playability Features

Main Cockpit

7604944616_637e1d23e8_o.jpg

The main control cockpit is spacious enough to seat three minifigs – a vast improvement from the original version which could only fit one. The set shows the jedi can only be seated without the capes (left), but I was able to seat Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon even without removing their capes (right).

Cargo Compartments

7604943980_eb918e9d9a_o.jpg

The two side cockpit cargo compartments have a 6 x 4 x 3 interior space where you could store stuff inside like the unidentified thingy and the capes (left).

There’s also a clip on both cockpits where the lightsabers can be placed (right).

Detachable "Mini-Sub"

7604942738_7778fee40e_o.jpg

The detachable “mini-sub” is a non-canon feature of this vehicle, included in the set simply to provide additional playability. It is attached to the main body using clips in the front and slides in and out of the body with side rails. It can comfortably fit a minifig inside during escape situations, though one has to wonder how in Neptune’s world can the pilot see without any windscreen? :wacko:

Cargo Boxes and Compartment Slots

7604943410_b0d3b45da1_o.jpg

Two cargo boxes with a trans-blue item each is included in the set, though I don’t know what their specific use is. Probably some valuable Gungan artifact that needs to be safely transported by the Bongo? The cargo boxes fit in designated slots on each side of the sub

Flick-fire Missiles Torpedoes

7604942108_96ded5435f_o.jpg

The ever notorious flick-fire missiles, in this case torpedoes, can be found underneath the side edges of the sub, which, as is the case in most vehicles, can be easily removed according to the user’s liking.

Rotating Tail Propulsion

7604941610_e244a221c9_o.jpg

This is a pretty neat feature that’s accurate to the source material, though I’m not a fan of the flexi-tube tails which look too thin. I think Pepa Quin’s solution in his Tribubble Bongo MOC is much better in this aspect (though I don’t know if it’s sturdy enough for this set).

Comparison with the Reference Material

So how does this new LEGO Gungan Sub compare to the source material? Let’s break it down with this comparison:

7604940934_12ed5d40e4_o.jpg

The Good: The overall shape, proportions, and color scheme are pretty much accurate. For a blocky medium, the designers did a good job maximizing the use of curved slopes to achieve the overall curved shape of the Bongo. Even small details like the front navigational sensor (anchor thingy), headlights, sidelights, and rotating tail propulsion are true to the source material.

The Bad: Two things: (1) I would’ve preferred printed bubble canopy pieces (like in the original version) over the bare and detail-less ones that came in this set. I felt this was the only step-back from its predecessor. (2) Like what I said earlier, the use of flexi-tubes for the tail is too thin for my liking and I would’ve wanted a broader set of tail propulsions.

The Ugly: This might be a limitation of the technique used in the design, but it’s hard to ignore the gaps on the curved part of the sides.

Comparison with the 7161 Gungan Sub

7604939612_7a42fd6fff_o.jpg

Instead of unfairly comparing this new Gungan Sub with the original 7161 version, let’s just highlight the significant improvements we’ve seen in this updated Bongo:

- Improved overall shape using curved slopes and hingle plates to achieve the curvaceous finish of the Gungan Sub versus the use of blocky slopes in the original version.

- More space in the main cockpit to seat three minifigs instead of only one in 7161.

- More and better details (front headlights, navigational side lights, etc.)

Rating the Set:

Design – 8/10 The design of this new Gungan Sub is a vast improvement from the original version, maximizing the use of curved slopes and some nifty angling using hinge plates to approximate the overall curvaceous look of the source material. I’m only bringing the score a couple of notches down due to the lack of printed bubble canopy pieces (which make those parts look bare) and the thin tail propulsions which could be still be improved IMO.

Build – 7/10 Aside from a couple of clever techniques, majority of the build is pretty straightforward and there’s not much complexities involved.

Parts – 8/10 I like the fact that for a Star Wars set you’ll get in this set a significant amount of useful blue parts as opposed to the usual bleys, blacks, and whites of other ‘regular’ SW sets. The rich selection of curved slopes and wedges are also very much welcome to my parts collection.

Minifigures – 7/10 If not for the majestic Queen Amidala fig, I would’ve given this set a failing grade in this aspect. The trio of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Jar-Jar, however compulsory in this particular set because of the movie material, just doesn’t appeal to me like what other new minifig-centric sets do (ex. 9496 Desert Skiff). Now it makes perfect sense why TLG decided to include the Queen Amidala fig in this set, and it’s quite ironic that the minifig that doesn’t have anything to do with the vehicle is the one which made the minifig line-up interesting.

Playability – 7/10 For its size as a set it has a pretty decent amount of playability, at par with the play features of other SW vehicles of similar prize range (X-Wing, Y-Wing, ARC-170 Starfighter, etc.)

Price – 8/10 The $70 price tag is justified with a well-designed vehicle plus the highly-anticipated Queen Amidala fig along with the three other characters. Its $0.15 price-to-parts ratio is 36% higher than that of the original 7161 version, though that’s quite an acceptable price increase for a long 13-year gap

Overall: 75%

Going back to the original question, is this set worthy enough to purchase aside from the “I really want that awesome Queen Amidala minifig badly” motive? I’d say yes, but only if you’re really a fan of well-made SW vehicles. I have a bit of a bias with this set since for some weird reason I like this Tribubble Bongo ever since I saw it Phantom Menace. I would’ve wanted to have gotten the original Gungan Sub set back in ’99 but I was in the middle of my “financially-challenged” college years back then. This may not be one of the popular vehicles in the SW universe, but no one can deny how sleek and cool-looking this vehicle is, and if you appreciate the merits of the vehicle’s design then it’s more than enough reason to buy this set, and the much-hyped Queen Amidala minifig will just be the proverbial “icing on the cake”.

As a parting shot, let me share with you this very cool "Building Video Review" of this 9499 Gungan Sub made by the great Artifex Creations. I think this is a nice way to appreciate the build of the set if you wouldn't get the chance to purchase this set.

Enjoy! :classic:

Wow...that's all I can say with regards to the detail in this review. Thanks for all the photos. Easily one of the best reviews I've seen.

Nice review! I love this new set, it looks amazing, even though it's one of the least remembered vehicles. (At least with people I know.)

Great review! I still can't help but think that TLG just felt like they needed a Queen fig and said what the heck throw her in the sub set! She has no business being here but I am glad that she is!

Awesome review, Kiel. Your photos look amazing here. (lightbox? I think I see the edge of it in the shots of the complete model; if not, you've got a really good lighting setup) You seriously need to go back to the RA. I know I'd pass this review as-is, probably even at Gold level. :thumbup:

As for the set, Amidala is tempting, and the set as a whole looks incredible. I'm passing, though, just because I don't see much use for quite a few of the pieces, of which there are already fewer than I would like for $70.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Nice review, 'KielDaMan'! :classic:

As much as I don't like Episode 1, this is second on my three favorite Summer 2012 Star Wars sets (only beaten by the Desert Skiff :wub: ). I love the ship and the Queen Amidala figure, but I hate the price. Also, I think the box is made that way to double as a storage for the set.

Good review, but can't get over the fact that there are openings in the sides and that Queen Admidalda (correct spelling?) feels just thrown into the set.

Excellent review Kiel! :thumbup: I quite like the minifigures in the set, but the ship isn't impressive enough for me to pick it up.

Great review. The set itself is pretty awesome, but the price just hinders it so much to the point of being an utter rip off.

Nice review!

I'm not fan of the Jar Jar Binks and gungan, so this set is not for me :sceptic:

[snip]

For those who are curious, here’s a shot of the interior/underside of the leg/dress part. The circular area of the gown covers an area of 4 x 4 studs.

Big point for this set, we finally have the confirmation that Amidal doesn't wear panties!!

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote images from recent posts or the first post of a topic. Thanks.

Outstanding review Kiel, i so much enjoyed reading it! Not only is it very well written, i am also very impressed by the quality of your photography.

My thoughts about the set:

The Gungan Sub is a very curvey design and i think the designers at TLC did a very good job at getting the overall shape right. I can even forgive the small gaps along the outer edge, because i don't think another solution with existing parts would have looked that much smoother or better. The mini sub may not be very movie accurate, but it's a creative way to add some extra play value to the set without compromising the overall looks of the design.

Let's be frank. In my opinion both the character Jar Jar and the kind of humor he brings to the Star Wars genre movies is as lame as it gets. At least with battle droids i can imagine that they can be programmed without an annoying dumb personality matrix, leaving only battle programming. But there is just no way i can get excited about either the character or for that matter the minifig of Jar Jar. In contrast, i think both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are nice figures, though except for some minor details not too different from recently released earlier versions.

But i think all will agree with me that there is one minifig in this set to really be excited about: Queen Amidala. Superbly sculpted new molds for the hair and dress, amazingly detailed prints. In one word, beautiful!

Do i think the set is worth the official retail price of 74,99 EUR? Not really. It's a lot of money for just 465 pieces, and the Gungan Sub as a vehicle never appealed to me enough to see myself swoosing this LEGO version through my living room. Let alone paying the full retail price for this set just to get the Queen Amidala minifig, which i absolutely adore.

Beautiful review Kiel! I think this set is pretty good. The design itself is well done, and the minifigs Queen Amidala is to die for. :wub:

Brilliant review Keil!

It's an improvement from the last one, but I think Lego can do a better job with the Sub itself.

The minifigures are brilliant :sweet:

As others have said, excellent review, but I also will be passing on this set, just doesn't do it for me. Especially at $70. I will definitely be picking up the Amidala fig however. The Skiff, Palace, and Rancor will be getting my money this year, possibly Palpatine's Arrest depending on what it looks like in person.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Really appreciate it. :sweet:

Looks like the general consensus (at least by the initial posts) about this set is: Great Queen Amidala minifig + so-so Gungan Sub/"not a fan of the vehicle" + and terrible price. I could understand the Bongo not being a fan favorite, I think I'm just in the small minority that actually like this vehicle. Though I may not fully understand the set price sentiments, maybe because living in a place where LEGO prices are almost double I tend to be appreciative when I get sets at actual US prices.

Awesome review, Kiel. Your photos look amazing here. (lightbox? I think I see the edge of it in the shots of the complete model; if not, you've got a really good lighting setup)

Thanks Doc! You sure know your photography, I indeed used a lightbox/light tent (like this one), which I just recently invested in and first time I used in this review. I'm very glad how the photos turned out. :sweet:

Truly an outstanding review Kiel, I really like how you compared all the figures. I hadn't known that the Obi-Wan in this set was different than last years.

That being said, I won't get this. I will feel rotten inside after paying $70 for it. It's not an iconic vehicle, only two new figures which I don't care about, and it's from Episode 1. Oh and too few pieces for the price, not that I even build but still... It makes me feel better when it seems like I'm getting my moneys worth. :look:

Looks like the general consensus (at least by the initial posts) about this set is: Great Queen Amidala minifig + so-so Gungan Sub/"not a fan of the vehicle" + and terrible price. I could understand the Bongo not being a fan favorite, I think I'm just in the small minority that actually like this vehicle. Though I may not fully understand the set price sentiments, maybe because living in a place where LEGO prices are almost double I tend to be appreciative when I get sets at actual US prices.

The bongo as a model on it's own isn't that bad. For me, the problem is that it's supposed to be an organic, 'grown' craft. That's a great concept, but it doesn't really fit into the look and feel of Star Wars, and it's also pretty much impossible to represent all the curves well with LEGO. This is a vast improvement over the '99 version, of course, but it just doesn't feel organic, and its attempt to do so, it uses a lot of curved pieces that I would probably rarely use in an MOC, further diminishing the value of the set for me based on my building style. Not that that's TLG's fault.

Thanks Doc! You sure know your photography, I indeed used a lightbox/light tent (like this one), which I just recently invested in and first time I used in this review. I'm very glad how the photos turned out. :sweet:

Yep, they look great. One day I'll have to get one of those; sheets of paper and one big window have their limitations... :laugh:

Great review KielDaMan! :thumbup:

I doubt that I'll be buying this, it's just not for me; I'm trying to concentrate on OT sets and this doesn't have anything to really tempt me. Oddly the cost doesn't seem too high to me (RRP of £54.99 in the UK) but perhaps that's because of anomalies with exchange rates?

Nice review, I might get this set! Check you Qui Gon gin minifigures through the years. There is a episode III obi won in there.

Beautiful review, ship looks good and I agree Armadela is the highlight for the mini-figures despite qui and obi being 'new' designs

Check you Qui Gon gin minifigures through the years. There is a episode III obi won in there.

I assume you're referring to the middle 2007 minifig in the picture (below) - that's Qui-Gon from the 7665 Republic Cruiser set. There are two versions of Qui-Gon minifig in that particular set (both the 2007 versions in the pic). The middle one you're referring to uses the Ep. III Obi-Wan head hence the confusion.

Reference Bricklink Links:

2007 Qui-Gon Version 1

2007 Qui-Gon Version 2 (Ep. III Obi-Wan head)

List of Qui-Gon Minifigs

7604924544_8d729952e8_o.jpg

Queen Admidalda (correct spelling?)

Armidala

Armadela

Amidala. :poke:(Just poking fun!)