The Librarian

[MOC] The Ateryn Dawn

I must admit, this is probably my first proper, finished Star Wars MOC since I was about ten and building Darth Vader out of Castle parts and no doubt the odd multi-coloured X-Wing. Over the years, I've generally collected Star Wars Lego purely for the parts but recently - probably due to a certain trailer - I have had a suddent surge of inspiration for the theme.

The result is 87cm long, features a full interior and has probably done me out of grey bricks for the foreseeable future!

[EDIT: based on feedback from folks on this thread, I have modified the original model - see a dozen or so posts down for details!]

20113208092_17b096fb8e_h.jpgAteryn Dawn - updated

Original version follows:

20009571641_5156ec7545_h.jpgAteryn Dawn by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

The vessel is called the Ateryn Dawn, the idea being that the chap who owns it (Jedi Shadow Rhaga Venn) is from a planet called Ateryn (totally made up and non-canon, I just liked the sound). For ease of canon, I imagine it being after what was the Legacy Era in the old EU, with the Jedi Order broken up into various different chapters and sects. Venn's saber is a custom piece since I couldn't find an easy way of getting hold of the one instance of a trans-clear 4l bar Lego have actually - it's meant to represent a white blade.

19841066308_5f59f6a9c7_b.jpgAteryn Dawn crew by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

The ship is based on the concept and final designs for the Blockade Runner and the Republic Cruiser - this is essentially the next step down in the market, probably some sort of courier originally but very much old-fashioned and second-hand (as with all the best Star Wars ships). I imagine it being fast but not heavily armed and what weaponry there is is mainly defensive.

20029205635_fcb06f1ce3_h.jpgAteryn Dawn by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

The interior includes a cockpit, a cargo bay in the nose, a lounge-diner-second cargo bay, a workbench and utility room, a fresher and two bunk rooms, plus access to the hyperdrive at the back. Plenty of room for Jedi training!

20021365382_ee32870814_b.jpgAteryn Dawn lounge by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

Apologies if the picture quality is sub-par, by the way. This is the first time I've taken pictures in my new flat and the lighting has been atrocious (especially since this is apparently 'rain on Cambridge' weekend). But hopefully it all gives the right impression!

19408453463_c28d175f23_b.jpgVenn's speederbike by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

This has all rather set me on a Star Wars MOCing binge, so I have a few more models to share in the coming weeks. All comments welcome and appreciated!

Link to full gallery

Edited by The Librarian

I like the fact we can recognize the star wars design in a glimpse, and is still unique. You did a really good job, I can't imagine the time you spent on it. :sweet:

Great work! I especially like the color-sceme with dark blue and red. This feels right at home in the Star Wars Universe as a totaly believable addition to the EU..

This is great! I love big ships like this, and I've been trying on and off for about a year to build something like this. Usually I'm not a big fan of exposed studs and the like, but I love them here! The ship looks gritty, which any good ship should. Not to mention the amazing speeder bike! Overall, Just a fantastic Moc!

Thanks for sharing this, a truly great MOC! :wub: And....

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

It's massive.....Whoa!

Stunning, absolutely stunning, speechless in fact mostly. Every little detail of the entire ship, the characters, the intense size of the whole craft, the backdrop of the story linking the ship and the characters, core.......

Impressive, Most Impressive I have to say

Wow, fantastic MOC, loving everything about this ship! They say bigger is better and you have certainly proved that right!

Everything is so nice except for the cannons on the top and bottom. They kinda look slapped together in 2 minutes and the hing especially looks pretty bad :/

As a whole though it's fantastic.

It's a great ship, well done :thumbup::classic:

But I think you should work more on details. As said previously, the turrets don't look really good and I'm sure you can come up with a better design, especially with a 6 wide turret. There is a lack of greebles, or at least smaller greebles as you used some big greeble parts. And there are too much studs showing, but that's my personnal taste...

Absolutely fantastic, love how you did the landing gear especially. And how you did the front section with the removable cockpit floor, awesome. My only gripe is how the top turret is blocked by the cockpit when facing forward =P. Other than that it's really well done!

Instantly looks SW with great shaping and color choice. Love the full interior too. I think with some minor tweaks to the turrets it could be even better. Hope to see more from you!

This is off the hook, man! Totally screams Star Wars! I love how you put it in the apres-Legacy era. It's a shame that that era of the Star Wars timeline got killed with the rest of the old EU. There was a lot of possibility there.

Thank you all for your comments and feedback! And thank you Lobot for blogging this - I'm a bit flabbergasted to have that happen on my first post in this forum!

To answer a few specific comments:

Usually I'm not a big fan of exposed studs and the like, but I love them here! The ship looks gritty, which any good ship should.

And there are too much studs showing, but that's my personnal taste...

The abundance of studs is half due to choice, half to simple practicality - I really mean it when I say this creation has wiped me out of grey components! Even with the selection of 2x2 and 2x4 tiles I acquired over the course of building her (and leading up to building her, come to think of it), I just don't have enough to cover everything. It's a shame, because while it was always my intention to leave some exposed studs for texture, I would like to smooth over some of the more egregious bits - particularly underneath and on the engines. Maybe when I can afford it, I'll try covering her up a bit more!

There is a lack of greebles, or at least smaller greebles as you used some big greeble parts.

Something that has really hit home looking over the pictures, particularly the rear of the flanks, which are just inexcusably lacking in fiddly bits. To mitigate this somewhat, I would argue that as a ship that sits somewhere between an Imperial Shuttle and a Republic Cruiser (Consular rather than Venerator, that is!), there shouldn't be a massive amount of greebles anyway, but this is mainly just an excuse. I have now spent the better part of the evening applying fine details (plus closing up a few gaps), so will update with new pictures later in the week.

Everything is so nice except for the cannons on the top and bottom. They kinda look slapped together in 2 minutes and the hing especially looks pretty bad :/

I agree with TheRacker. You could consider changing the turret design.

But I think you should work more on details. As said previously, the turrets don't look really good and I'm sure you can come up with a better design, especially with a 6 wide turret.

Well it was a trifle longer than two minutes . . . maybe seven?

This is stumping me a bit, I'm afraid, so any suggestions would be extremely welcome. The reason the turrets are as they are at the moment is because they can only be five plates high without risking being taller than the landing gear is deep and thus causing nasty dents every time the ship lands. I'm quite fond of the central hub and I need the guns to be able to rotate through 360 degrees horizontally and 180 degrees vertically for the design to make sense (think the Falcon's quad guns, only remotely controlled). Originally, I was planning on giving them proper bubbles with a gunner's seat but that proved unworkable. I've played around with a few variations tonight but I haven't yet hit on a version that conceals the pins, allows the barrels to move in sync and hides as many studs as possible without totally compromising the structure. If anyone has any ideas or has built anything with a similar footprint, I'd be grateful for the advise!

My only gripe is how the top turret is blocked by the cockpit when facing forward =P.

My image for the ship was always to have the guns mainly pointing to the rear . . . but yes, can't really argue with that one!

I love how you put it in the apres-Legacy era. It's a shame that that era of the Star Wars timeline got killed with the rest of the old EU. There was a lot of possibility there.

If I'm honest, not having to worry about accounting for any new canon in that era kind of makes it easier to play with, but yeah, it would have been nice to see a bit more of that future - I really must get around to picking up the second volume Legacy comics at some point, now I think about it . . .

As I said above, I'll try and get some more pictures with updated greebles up later in the week, probably Wednesday since I have the day off. In the meantime, allow me to share a few groups of characters that populate the setting for the ship:

19408883293_4ab054bdc7_b.jpg

Jedi Wayfarers and Shadows by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

A trio of Jedi Shadows and a quartet of Jedi who go incognito most of the time.

20003597226_1fc9f48c45_b.jpg

Jedi Duelists by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

Masters of the way of the lightsabre (the Countess' sabre is dark blue when not being the top of her walking stick)

19407225664_29e2db64cf_b.jpg

Witches and Mandalorian Knights by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

Assorted others.

19841773558_acb215f986_b.jpg

Concept Jedi and Cephlapod Master by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

I adore Star War concept art. Also, even octopuses can be in touch with the Force.

Nice job, it's instantly recognisable as a Corellian design with those engines.

Stunning! Beautiful ship. I dig the minifigs, too. Nice use of regular yellow-skins as aliens, nice uniforms on the duelists, and I really, really like those McQuarrie Jedi! The cephalopod Jedi's also really fun.

Thanks guys!

As mentioned above, I've gone on to modify the Ateryn Dawn to include more greebles and those all-important new 'eleven minute' gun turrets!

I'm hoping this does in fact count as an improvement, but I'll let wiser heads than I be the judge of that.

20113105172_30603c52ce_h.jpgAteryn Dawn - updated by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

Although, having said all that, the added detail is mainly on the top and sides; I didn't touch the belly due to that needing a small wheelbarrow of tiles to fix . . .

19934452079_379f7ce91c_b.jpgAteryn Dawn - updated by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

Close up on the upper turret:

20126590201_0a89d347e3_b.jpgAteryn Dawn top gun by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

And on the gubbins that's taken the place of the big blank space on the rear flanks:

20126614781_bfc6c939e8_b.jpgAteryn Dawn anti-neutron frangulator by Librarian-Bot, on Flickr

I've also modified the first post with a new image and more shots can be found in the full gallery.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Librarian