Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_Builder

What is The Best 5th Wheel design?

While building my truck and semi trailer for the show in July, I have found that the current 5th wheel design I use isn't good enough. My design is a slightly modified version of the 5th wheel on the 8285 B model where a pin sits inside a hole in the middle as opposed to an axle in a pin hole. I have found that 9/10 times when I back the trailer, it pops out of the 5th wheel, so I was hoping that someone could share their 5th wheel design that uses common Technic parts, preferably can lock, fits the 19 wide scale and looks realistic. Cheers in advance :classic:

Could you post a photo? Because I can't understan what you mean, if 5th wheel is a spate wheel, but the 8285 b hasn't got any kind of 5th wheel... :sceptic: So please tell me, i'm becoming crazy searching into 8285 instruction, but maybe i don't understand be cause of my English knowledge :laugh:

5th wheel is the US description of a trailer attachment.

Thank you so much!

5th wheel is a turntable, it's the hinging plate that the trailer attaches to. 5th wheel was the first term I came up with.

You could make Lucio Switch's

5th wheel smaller. Edited by NXT45

You could look at Lucio Switch's

That's good but it's too large of a scale, I can work on making a downsized version of it though (non-RC) but that is the kind of thing I was looking for.

Thanks for those Saberwing and Efferman, I reckon I'll give your design a try Efferman, also I'll hopefully post a couple of designs to that trailer couplings thread :classic:

My truck uses a very simple 5th wheel that locks manually, but seems very effective, although I haven't tried pulling anything heavy with it. You already have the LXF file :classic:

I really like the design in 8872 Forklift Transporter. It is very sturdy and quite compact (the tractor is only 12 studs wide). It doesn't really look like a 5th wheel, but since you're building on a bigger scale, I'm sure you can make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers Ludo, that 5th wheel you built for it is similar in looks to mine but soooo much better :wink: The way it works is great, I never noticed it while I was looking at the suspension! You should post that in the thread that Efferman linked to in his post, the trailer coupling collection: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96653&hl=

Cheers Ludo, that 5th wheel you built for it is similar in looks to mine but soooo much better :wink: The way it works is great, I never noticed it while I was looking at the suspension! You should post that in the thread that Efferman linked to in his post, the trailer coupling collection: http://www.eurobrick...topic=96653&hl=

I added it to the topic. A good excuse to get started with LPub: instructions are here