• Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Set Number: CCSD Minifig Pack #1

Release: 2009 (Comic Con San Diego)

Theme: Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Special: Only 300 ever made.

Price: Varies between 100 USD to 160 USD on Bricklink *huh*

Introcomment:

Ever since I saw the 6 different Comic Con San Diego (CCSD) minifig packs, I knew I had to get them.

But the pricing was and is pretty high, so I decided to wait a while, which has proven useless earlier and this time was no exception. :laugh: Luckily I've found a few of them on eBay at a good price. In my opinion Bricklink is waaay off when it comes to pricing these great little display packs.

gallery_101_23_26307.jpg

In this minifig pack, we get Ahsoka (in attack mode), Mace Windu and a Clone Trooper.

All of them are glued to the baseplate and I had some serious trouble reattaching the lightsabres as they fell off during their trip from the US and to my home. :sceptic:

It seems that the figs aren't glued, but the legs are glued to the baseplate.

I have not checked that, as my hand can't really fit inside the plastic box and too much handling will turn corners and edges milky white. So I leave that kind of inspection at your own discression :devil:

med_gallery_101_23_14019.jpg

Thank you TLG for finally accepting what your product is and isn't :wub:

Collectible Number:

med_gallery_101_23_2634.jpg

Wooopeee! I got me number 217 of 300.

Not sure wether I should be honoured or delighted by that.

Perhaps I'd just go for "meh!".

To me it's not really important wether this set was made in a zillion copies or 300.

In fact I find the idea of limited productions a little "off-throwing", that just makes this a set for an exclusive amount of people and I can't see why a toy should be limited in any way.

Perhaps this kind of trophy hunting just doesn't suit my kind of person :sceptic:

Nevertheless I am thrilled at having the set though :laugh:

Minifigs:

med_gallery_101_23_174314.jpg

Ahsoka, as we like her.

She's featured in a total of 5 sets so far.

med_gallery_101_23_134349.jpg

Mace Windu, looks a little bored to be stuffed in a trans clear plastic box.

He's featured in 2 sets and 1 accessory set so far.

med_gallery_101_23_22348.jpg

Clone Trooper, ready for action.

He's actually in a lot of sets (11), check'em out :laugh:

One might fear that the figs are the cheap Chinese version, but luckily they're not. :thumbup:

The Box:

med_gallery_101_23_204558.jpg

med_gallery_101_23_392827.jpg

med_gallery_101_23_322872.jpg

med_gallery_101_23_46047.jpg

med_gallery_101_23_113513.jpg

There really isn't much to say about the box, except that the trans-clear surface made it hard to get any really decent photos and it's decorated with pictures of "The Quest for R2D2" and "The Hunt for R2D2" on the back.

It's got a picture background behind the figs which is kinda cool and each of the 6 minifig packs has their own background, depending on which episode it belongs to.

Final Comments:

This is a great little set, it looks awesome on display.

Especially if you've got more of them side by side.

But and this is a big but, it's price and availability doesn't match the greatness of it.

I got them cheap and I had some money to spare from my BL store, but if I hadn't, then I'd skipped this.

The money's better spend on Battle Packs or regular sets in my opinion, but I certainly agree that as a collector this is pretty damn close to a "must-have".

Shadows enlightened me that these minifig packs clearly are inspired by Hasbro's Cinema Scene Packs:

med_gallery_101_23_5752.jpg

Enjoy the review and don't forget to rate the set in the poll.

Useful links:

Review of 2008 Comic Con Exclusive Set

Review of 2009 Comic Con Exclusive Set

Instructions for 2009 Comic Con Exclusive Set

Comic Con San Diego Homepage

Bricklink Catalog Entry

Great review, it's nice to get a close up look on these very exclusive collectors items.

I voted outstanding because if my memory serves me these were free correct?

No, I don't think they were free.

You could get a free ticket in the lottery to be allowed to buy one or something like that.

Oh, in any case, mace and Asohka in my book are kind of hard to come by so to have them together like this is a win. Even though I don't have this set.

As for the complaints about pictures through the plastic, I think yours are very good for shooting through the plastic piece. :thumbup:

By good price what did you exactly get them for? Just wondering how crazy much you love you lego collecting.

Anyway it was a great review. The number of sets the figs had appeared was nice little bonus although not overly useful it made the review much nicer.

I take it you're not opening this?

I think I paid close to 50USD including shipping for this one.

Which isn't that far off the price for all 3 figs.

Why would I open it?

They're glued :laugh:

I did open it though, the lightsabres had fallen off and I had to reattach them :sceptic:

-which I've also mentioned in the review itself. :tongue:

as far as i know the sdcc minifig sets, was available at different days during 2009 San Diego Comic con. soem of them were limitted to 700 other only 300 so some of the sets are more rare than others.

as far as i know the sdcc minifig sets, was available at different days during 2009 San Diego Comic con. soem of them were limitted to 700 other only 300 so some of the sets are more rare than others.

Indeed.

One of the other packs I've got says 265 of 1250.

More on that in the next review :grin:

I don't like these overly exclusive sets, I'm just happy that only the packaging is exclusive, not what's inside.

But the set does look cool.

Edited by Bobskink

A great review Kim!

I have seen those up-close at CopMikes place.

I saw them all on BL some time ago and was thinking of buying them. But I don´t find that I need them so badly really.

The package is nice with the background and so on. But this is something that I will pass on.

If they would have contained some figs that was no where else to be found, then I might have bought it.

Big Cam, I am pretty sure these were not free, and people paid around $20 or $30 for these. I could be wrong though.

In fact I find the idea of limited productions a little "off-throwing", that just makes this a set for an exclusive amount of people and I can't see why a toy should be limited in any way.
Clearly, though, the box states how this is not a toy.

I kind of like these, but they do have their pro's and con's. For example, it is a nice and simple little thing for collectors, but they are too expensive for how simple they are.

Thanks for the review KimT! I've always wanted to see what was on the back, sides, and bottom of the box. :sweet:

More on that in the next review :grin:
Can't wait!

Thanks, Kim - appreciate the review, and the pics came out well !

As a collector, I'd certainly like to add this set to my collection.

Judging more objectively, however, I have all the figures in other sets, and since there's nothing else of interest in the box (e.g. a small structure or vehicle perhaps) I gotta say I'm a bit underwhelmed overall. Just glueing 3 (already available) minifigs to a baseplate and selling the set as a "special edition" seems pretty lazy to me. Easy money, but not very exciting.

Dr. D.

Grdat review! though it's a simple product and not really a set per se, I can see why these little gems are so desirable, and that collector number thing shows you you've got something special...would have been nice to have gotten perhaps some character bios though, that would have been cool...also, shouldn't the title of this post read "" SDCC" instead of "SSDC"? unless I'm missing something. Regards, Will/Rocketbilly

Nice review.

There was a total of six sets. Five of sets were numbered to 300 and the other set is numbered to 1250. A different set was given out for each day of the SDCC. Retail cost for each set was $50.00. Ouch!

These are only good if you are a serious collector (like Kim is :tongue: ). The minifigs I have and I think it is good that they are glued down because I would hate to move them

Thanks for the review KimT