Hinckley

Block Block Contest

Announcing the best contest that ever was, is or will be. Seriously, it's amazing...

The Block Block Contest

strider2_secret_file.jpg

Based on this thread, this contest will introduce us to a new theme based on the picture above. Post your entry as a pitch to a LEGO design team as to why your set should be part of their upcoming awesome line. Your entry should be a set that fits in with this theme, not necessarily a re-creation of this set, but something that expands on the theme. It can be a representation of this set, but wouldn't something new be more fun?

The rules:

• Build a MOC that would work as a marketable set for this new theme. They can be any size up to 1000 pieces. As a green muppet once said to the whiniest man to ever save a galaxy, "Size matters not."
  • Entries can be anything you want. Anything at all, as long as you rationalize their inclusion in this theme with your design pitch. They do not need to be a recreation of this set!~although they can be, if you want.
  • Your entry should be compiled as a design pitch with piece count, suggested retail price, set name and a theme name. This new theme doesn't have a name yet. You must help decide what we will call it. A separate poll will be held to decide the name of the theme.
  • Only three pictures are allowed per entry. There will be an exhibition thread where you can post the rest of your pics and links to a gallery, but the design pitch must rely on three main pictures.
  • Custom pieces and decals are allowed.
  • Digital entries are allowed.
  • Imitation brands aka crap blocks are not allowed. Only genuine LEGO elements and customs.
  • Entries must be in by Sunday, March 9th. Your entry can be altered as many times as you like up until that time. You may post your entries here.
    -UPDATE: Deadline extended to Wednesday March 12 11:59 pm CST

FAQ

As a lot of designers want to work on this hot new theme, I've received a lot of questions about this and I thought I should create this FAQ so others who have these same questions can save time by reading it.

1. Q: So, I just re-create that set, right?
    A: What the?...No!!! No no no no no no no no no no. You can just recreate this set, but the point of this contest is to build a new theme-a new line of LEGO sets based on that picture. Try to expand on the universe of that theme with a new set that fits in with the theme! Build something original.
  2. Q: Do I have to include a killer girl band?
    A: No. You can base your set on any aspect of the theme hinted at in the picture above. Littering girls bands, evil shrouded penguins, crazy orange-globe-headed-jet-pack-riding villians or introduce new characters, settings, conflicts, vehicles as long as you explain how it fits into the overall theme.
  3. Q: Can I enter more than once?
    A: Of course you can not. Put your best entry in the contest thread and post any other ideas in this thread. (I will add an index to this post of non-entry MOCs)
  4. Q: What if I'm no good? I don't want to lose.
    A: Shut your face. >:-( Although there will be prizes, don't think about that. Enter this contest to have fun building, challenge yourself or express your creativity. You never know until you try and you only become a better builder with practice, so enter now!!!
  5. Q: What is this theme about?
    A: :-| Anything you want. The picture is actually a mock-up of a capcom game (Sinner found us this article less than thirty minutes after the topic opened. He's better than Domino's!). Jinzo did some further research on this game for us. You can base your entry off of this game and Jinzo's awesome research or you can just make something up based solely on the picture and your own rampant imagination. Just go nuts!
  6. Q: What kind of contest is this??!!
    A: The kind that re-defines the world we live in.
  7. Q: Is this the most important and amazing contest to ever take place in the entire galaxy?
    A: Nay, the universe...
  8. Q: Where is my credit! :'-(
    A: Your name will go down in History as the valiant walrus hero that saved an entire generation.
  9. Q: My name is Oky Wan Kenobi. Why am I so persistent and annoying about questions I've asked? Even going as so far as to badger an admin, a few mere hours after a thread was posted, accusing him of not reading the posts at all?
    A: Because you are an enormous piece of poo.

Prizes

First place will receive this custom figure:

strider03.jpg

I will add more later this afternoon. I'm currently installing a hard wood floor and the glue fumes are what's fueling a lot of this. Either way, I will clean this up a bit and start the entry and exhibition thread later. Have fun! X-D

This sounds like a fun contest Hinckley! *y* I'll most likely enter, that is, if I can make something good enough. :-/

*sweet*

[*]Q:What if I'm no good? I don't want to lose.

A: Shut your face. >:-(

such charm master Hinckley! ;-)

This sounds like a really fun contest I'll have to get somethng on the go! *y*

[*]Your entry should be compiled as a design pitch with piece count, suggested retail price, set name and a theme name. This new theme doesn't have a name yet. You must help decide what we will call it. A separate poll will be held to decide the name of the theme.

interesting... I was just about to run upstairs and start building. So, we need to describe what the set is? THis is going to be interesting.

I'm currently installing a hard wood floor and the glue fumes are what's fueling a lot of this.

So that explains it. :-P

Will

Ok....interesting. 8-| Don't know if I'll have time to enter, as I'm in the process of 2 other entries for other contests. But if I finish them early, I'll see what I can come up with. ;-)

Ok.

Customs?

Are we supposed to design it like an official set would be - action features, <insert that tiresome argument> parts e.t.c? Or as a MOC?

How many parts do minifigs count as?

As a green muppet once said to the whiniest man to ever save a galaxy, "Size matters not."

Ah, Kermit *wub*

SlyOwl

What on earth kind of contest is this!?!?!? *wacko*

I luv it! *wub*

P

Edited by phred

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :-D

Haha! :-D

This is going to VERY interesting, I'd better start thinking of what the heck I'm ever going to do.

Truly this will be the most amazing contest ever :'-)

Wait, I'm confused.

Batbrick is Back! >:-)

Yeah!! I love these pointless fun contests! *sweet* *y*

Can't wait to enter this one, its like designing your own set

a very cool concept indeed!

This could be better than the "whack-a-fig" contest 8-| :-D

P

Weird but fun contest.

One question: are digital entries allowed? Seeing that the set itself looks pretty digitally made... *wacko*

Thanks,

Dr. Brick

Strange... I'll enter! This will be interesting...

Great idea Hinckley! Can I use crappy Jun-lung fake bricks to replicate the shoddy quality of the block-block set?

So we build something to fit that theme, like a UFO or something? We don't try to build that set?

Are custom decals allowed?

Edited by ~VBBN~

Ah, Kermit *wub*

I thought *yoda* was the best muppet ever? X-O

This could be better than the "whack-a-fig" contest 8-| :-D

P

Careful P, ya might get wacked for saying such a thing. 8-|

P

Edited by phred

Can I build an entry based off a Capcom video game? It's a surprise which one(I haven't decided yet:-P )

Edited by AgentRick57

Another fun contest. *sweet*

I'll enter, although I don't know what to built right now. |-/

As many mentioned before, indeed interesting. 8-|

But I still don't get what "theme" we are talking about here. Is it the capcom game "Strider" which it seems to be based on? Or is it Capcom games in general? Or is it just whatever our mind makes us believe this theme is?

About the name of the theme: Has anybody tried to translate the asian stuff on there yet? It might give us a clue.

Btw, is "Block Block" an actually existing brand? I, for one, highly doubt it...

Hey, Hinckley, are you even reading these posts? There were some great questions like the ones below that haven't been answered yet!

Customs?

Are we supposed to design it like an official set would be - action features, <insert that tiresome argument> parts e.t.c? Or as a MOC?

I would like to add one: Should we make our entry pic(s) look like box art? With theme logo, age range, and every thing? If yes, what brand logo should we use; Lego or... Block Block?

If you could answer these, SlyOwl & me would be very happy!

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Hey, Hinckley, are you even reading these posts? There were some great questions like the ones below that haven't been answered yet!

This is not a good idea. Don't pester me. I'm very fragile after learning this set is just a drawing and not real. I'll never have it and I don't know how to cope with that. No questions now. Maybe some other time. I just can't bear it. My publicist will call you...I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now :'-(

This is not a good idea. Don't pester me. I'm very fragile after learning this set is just a drawing and not real. I'll never have it and I don't know how to cope with that. No questions now. Maybe some other time. I just can't bear it. My publicist will call you...I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now :'-(

:'-( , the magic is lost forever........

The contest is still on though I presume? Good. Because my idea is so great it doesn't even make sense and really hasn't been fully formulated yet! Which is perfect! Because a proper idea is too logical, I need an idea that is unlogical! dislogical! illogical! biological!

Imagine if TLC actually made a line like this, it would be, like, the best line ever! X-D

Only on EB would you find a contest like this...

Batbrick is Back! >:-)

[*]Q: Do I have to include a killer girl band?

A: No. You can base your set on any aspect of the theme hinted at in the picture above. Littering girls bands, evil shrouded penguins, crazy orange-globe-headed-jet-pack-riding villians or introduce new characters, settings, conflicts, vehicles as long as you explain how it fits into the overall theme.

If they want my vote, they'd better find a way to include the littering girl band. *wub*

Aww, you made porr little hickley crie, you should know he dosnt work well under pressure ;-)

:'-( , the magic is lost forever........

Gee, I didn't want to hurt anyone! :-| I was just trying to understand this - er - extraordinary contest and get the questions of some fellow EB members and future contest enterers answered.

And if I may kindly suggest somethig to you, Hinckley:

GET OVER IT, YOU CRYBABY!

GET A LIFE!

Er, I mean: PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER, MAN!

We all have crushed dreams, but sometimes you just gotta take it like a man - and there is always hope, as I use to say! ;-) Who knows if Exo Force wont evolve into something like this! *sweet* So, in the words of one of the greatest stoners ever to live: Don't worry, be happy mon! :-D

With that said, I hope that you feel better now (and that you can't read my first 2 scraped "suggestions" X-D )

Sooo... How about some answers now? *sweet*

No?

How about now? X-D

PS: Honestly, I had no doubt that this set is totally fake the moment I saw it and feel bad for not telling you so, saving you from all this misery! |-/

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

This sounds like a fun contest Hinckley! *y* I'll most likely enter, that is, if I can make something good enough. :-/

*sweet*

Didn't you read the FAQ? Shut your face!

Ok.

Customs?

Customs-yes.

You can design it as either a MOC or a set but even the MOC should be presented as a design team pitch. Does that make sense?

Minifigs are five pieces not including whatever accessories they are holding...

Ah, Kermit *wub*

Kermit? When did he tell Mark Hamill that "Size Matters Not?" I must've missed that episode...

What on earth kind of contest is this!?!?!? *wacko*

Block Block...

I luv it! *wub*

Yay!! X-D

Weird but fun contest.

One question: are digital entries allowed? Seeing that the set itself looks pretty digitally made... *wacko*

Thanks,

Dr. Brick

Yes sir! Digital entries are allowed. You're welcome!

Great idea Hinckley! Can I use crappy Jun-lung fake bricks to replicate the shoddy quality of the block-block set?

Jun-lung? Isn't that a disease? No, no imitation blocks allowed. This contest, although based on a cgi image of a fake LEGO clone brand, only supports use of LEGO elements...and AFOL customs...

So we build something to fit that theme, like a UFO or something? We don't try to build that set?

Are custom decals allowed?

I thought I covered this with the "build anything you want" and the "does every entry have to contain a littering girl band?" Well, third time's the charm...You can either re-build the set in the picture or whatever you want that would fit in that theme. And the them is up to your interpretation. You can add to it whatever you like as long as you tell us the story in your pitch.

Custom decals are allowed and, in fact, encouraged! This is a new theme. New torsos may be cool!

Careful P, ya might get wacked for saying such a thing. 8-|

Whacked is spelled with an "h" for Hinckley.

Can I build an entry based off a Capcom video game? It's a surprise which one(I haven't decided yet:-P )

You can build anything you want.

Gee, I didn't want to hurt anyone! :-| I was just trying to understand this - er - extraordinary contest and get the questions of some fellow EB members and future contest enterers answered.

...blah blah blah...

PS: Honestly, I had no doubt that this set is totally fake the moment I saw it and feel bad for not telling you so, saving you from all this misery! |-/

You again? I haven't used this one in a while..."Hey kid! Get off my lawn!!!" You persistent little such and such. Your questions never end! I was annoyed with you, especially after warning you about pestering people about questions twice in a week, and you're still on thin ice, but then you had to go and use humor and now I kind of like you. I answered your questions in the FAQ in the first post of this thread...