Hello Everyone,

I am wondering why, in your opinion, there has never been an Africa based theme (If we exclude Pharao’s Quest).

As far as I can see, over the years, there have been theme covering Latin America (Amazon), North America (Wild West), Asia (Orient Expedition, Ninja, Prince of Persia), Europe (Do I need to specify?), and we even had an arctic theme.

However, Africa seems to be forgotten. I could understand that over time, the yellow minifigs may have been contrasting with such theme, however, now that Lego started making Black minifigures, there could be room for a theme covering this continent.

Furthermore, when looking at the minifigure collections that have been released over the past few years, this continent seems to have been forgotten once again.

Do you think that there would not be sufficient demand for such theme to be created? Or, have we been too used to the yellow minifigs? I am curious to hear about your opinions.

I personally think that there is definitely some room for some diversity. On top of that, an Africa-based theme could help us gather many new animals :wink: .

I think a desert does not offer much playability..... For most people, Africa is not more that a desert with a few wild animals here and there.. so, it wouldn't stimulate our imagination a lot, i guess..

So it doesn't suprise me that there are hardly any sets based on this part of the world....

Greetz, LegoSjaak

I am wondering why, in your opinion, there has never been an Africa based theme (If we exclude Pharao’s Quest).

I'm not sure how you can include the Amazon Adventurers sets as evidence of the inclusion of all of South America, but exclude Pharaoh's Quest. At the same time, you've excluded the original Adventurers Egyptian sets as well as a number of sets in the Indiana Jones series.

I realise that your point is a desire to see a different part of Africa than these sets represented, but at least from a traditional view, a more jungle based theme would almost surely end up centered around hunting, something TLG isn't likely to want to do.

Perhaps you could describe the specific types of sets you think should be made and what they would include, then we'd have a better idea of what it is you are hoping for and whether or not it's reasonably possible?

I think this might be better discussed in the Action Themes Forum rather than Town, so I'll move it. :classic:

I think a desert does not offer much playability..... For most people, Africa is not more that a desert with a few wild animals here and there.. so, it wouldn't stimulate our imagination a lot, i guess.

How about animals, rangers, adventurers, tourists & their paraphenalia, desert camps, Paris-Dakar rally, etc, etc.

I don't think that the problem is necessarily lack of playability but a (perceived) political correctness around the colour of minifigs - Brown minifgs have been limited to licensed themes alongside fleshies.

I wonder also if it is related to the fact that LEGO's target markets are essentially western/first world markets. Asipring second world markets are also a potential source of sales but will generally want to play with products that are based on the first world that they asipre to. The third world isn't a LEGO target market. This means that there is a much smaller indiginous market for African LEGO than others. Those areas of Africa which are potential markets are also going to be pretty westernised and looking for first world themes. This is of course purely speculative without seeing any LEGO market research or detailed sales figures....

I personally would love an African theme!

I think this might be better discussed in the Action Themes Forum rather than Town, so I'll move it. :classic:

I read and replied to this based on it being a Town/City based African theme....

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Hello Everyone,

As far as I can see, over the years, there have been theme covering Latin America (Amazon), North America (Wild West), Asia (Orient Expedition, Ninja, Prince of Persia), Europe (Do I need to specify?), and we even had an arctic theme.

However, Africa seems to be forgotten. I could understand that over time, the yellow minifigs may have been contrasting with such theme, however, now that Lego started making Black minifigures, there could be room for a theme covering this continent.

Furthermore, when looking at the minifigure collections that have been released over the past few years, this continent seems to have been forgotten once again.

Do you think that there would not be sufficient demand for such theme to be created? Or, have we been too used to the yellow minifigs? I am curious to hear about your opinions.

I personally think that there is definitely some room for some diversity. On top of that, an Africa-based theme could help us gather many new animals :wink: .

I think you'd need a more concrete concept before I could see this as a theme. Lego themes need building and a story, not just culture. What would you build in a sub-Saharan Africa-based theme? Traditional cultures there rarely had impressive vehicles or structures, and modern African cities are pretty indistinguishable from those elsewhere in the world. Also, there would need to be a story, which could be problematic since historically Africa has been subjected to less-than-child-friendly treatment by other cultures, so a historical story is out. Perhaps you could create a fantasy or mythological story for the theme, but my knowledge of African mythologies is limited, and I'm not aware of any which would allow for a great deal of construction.

As for skin tones, the non-yellow-skinned minifigures are exclusive to licensed themes, and I'd like them to stay that way. I'm sure a yellow-skinned Zulu warrior could be recognizable as such, although in the absence of a theme for them to fit into they might be best suited to the Collectible Minifigures. If you wanted a theme with realistic skintones even if it were licensed, you would need a license which both captured kids' imaginations and featured a fair treatment of African culture; these are regrettably a rarity, but that issue is less with Lego and more with Hollywood and associated peddlers of pop-culture.

I think a desert does not offer much playability..... For most people, Africa is not more that a desert with a few wild animals here and there.. so, it wouldn't stimulate our imagination a lot, i guess..

Saying that Africa is not more than a desert is plain wrong :angry: . It would be like saying that Netherlands is a flat country with only windmills.

Perhaps you could describe the specific types of sets you think should be made and what they would include, then we'd have a better idea of what it is you are hoping for and whether or not it's reasonably possible?

There would be much more to offer than a hunting theme. TLG could offer a wildlife theme with Safari. Alternatively or to complete the previous theme, they could offer a tribal theme (Or at least a minifig around that). I also really like the idea of Rriggs to bring such potential theme around the Paris-Dakar.

I actually thought this was the right forum as the subtitle of this forum is: “The world we live in” :laugh:

I don't think that the problem is necessarily lack of playability but a (perceived) political correctness around the colour of minifigs - Brown minifgs have been limited to licensed themes alongside fleshies.

Riggs, I actually agree with you that this might be the biggest challenge for TLG as it could enhance stereotypes. As a matter of fact, besides licensed themes, minifigs kept their standard yellow color.

That being said, I believe there are plenty of possibilities. I also think that a theme about Africa could go global and thus not be directed to a niche market.

It's kind of debatable whether or not this is action, as there are "action" possibilities and "calm" possibilities.

"It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you, There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do. I bless the rains down in Africa, Gonna take some time to do the things we never have" :p

But seriously, I could see a Safari theme working. Would it be all that different from the Outback sets of my youth? Heck, they didn't even have any animals for that theme, aside from the alligator. A Safari theme would be a great opportunity to introduce new animal molds.

In the most recent Dino, Lego introduced the tranq gun. A safari theme would allow the use of that for zoologists on nature preserve parks. There is a CMF Zoologist. It would not take much to create a good theme along those lines. If it goes that way, Lego wouldn't even be restricted to Africa. You could get Jane Goodall types, nature photographers, park rangers and vacationing civillians. If there needs to be a bad guy, Lego could have poachers, but that could be problematic.

Without a baddy to fight, a Nature Preserves theme could be a continuing part of World City. This would be a boon to those who want more System animals. Duplo actually has a zoo, so why can't System have nature preserves? Big cats are one of the areas that Lego has never really explored in System.

I wrote a long post detailing why an African theme would be great but In all honesty though, I think the only way Africa will be represented is in licensed themes. Stuff like Indiana Jones. Which is sad but as we know, in-house themes all have yellow skinned minifigures as standard. So unless Lego pick up a license which is set in Africa with native Africans as lead characters we're not going to see black minifigures anytime soon.

I like the concept, but not sure how it would be fleshed out (excuse the minifigure license-unlicensed skin pun). Would it be modern? If so, as said before, sub-Saharan Africa has very little buildings, etc. If you went for the jungle, like the Congo area, it would be very close to the old Adventurer sets and such.

Also, think of the backlash LEGO could get. Depending on what the theme revolves around, LEGO could get some serious criticism for making this theme, especially if people see it as promoting imperialism, colonialism, etc. So while AFOLs and a few others would recognize what the theme is, people may misunderstand it and misconstrue it, hurting LEGO's reputation.

There are certainly some Africa based sets. Mainly targeted younger than most of the general system line. There was a Safari based set out last year. There are a number of Duplo sets along similar lines.

The biggest problem is not so much color of the figs, as it is what sort of story would you be telling for a theme? Safari stuff, aside from the one offs, involves a ton of large mode animals, and gets into grey areas of hunting and poaching.(when you can explore the same play with Dino's without the guilt or controversy and no one throws red paint at you.) similarly you can't really do the age of exploration or imperial Europe. That gets messy. How about Pirates? Modern Pirates! Oh right... Yech! What can they possibly do as a theme? A Zulu type Army builder facing off against the Imperial Redcoats? Or the ever classic action theme, "team of white guys adventuring to steal treasure, precious artifacts or diamonds from nasty African tribes"? None of Hesse seem like particularly good approaches?

I think the only way Africa will be represented is in licensed themes.

But they had the NBA players in dark brown and if I remember correctly they were not licensed.

BTW, Playmobil has some sort of Safari vehicle (my kids own it) with a black adventurer aboard. So if Playmobil keeps on copying from LEGO, why couldn't TLG do it the other way around?

4839SS.gif

Edited by kabel

I agree with a few others here. I think a lot of it is in what context can you make an African theme work. I'd love to see more animal molds, but if they are involving a tranq gun for any reason, people will be up in arms about hunting animals (even though that is exactly the opposite of what they may be doing in the sets). It really isn't a win-win situation for TLG mainly due to non-AFOL's limited knowledge on LEGO. Everyone says how expensive it is, but if they were one of us, they would realize how it isn't necessarily that expensive. People were up in arms about Friends too and that ended up being a win for TLG, so good deal there. But I'm not sure on how they'd make a theme work without "action" since children seem to need that to make a theme sell. Yes, DUPLO has a lot of great sets that aren't in System. They have multi-national figures with no worries of gender or race being an issue, yet in System it is a huge issue. I don't understand that. I guess toddlers are more accepting of those things than the target audience in System.

But with that said, if done right and with no backlash, I'd love an African type theme.

But they had the NBA players in dark brown and if I remember correctly they were not licensed.

How could they not be licensed? They were representations of actual players and used the NBA official logo. Some serious money parted company with The Lego Group's bank account for that one.

Sadly, these days I don't think we'd see a Safari theme in System, or even a Zoo theme, both of which would be pretty desired by AFOL's (I know I'd be very glad to see a Lego Zoo in my lifetime).

I think the early 90's was definitely a broader time in terms of themes: Outback as mentioned above, Paradisa, and even variety in Town sets with Cafes, etc.

Nowadays System and City's themes are usually action orientated, and I think TLG would feel that 'kids these days' would not be interested in playing with a Safari or Zoo theme (except younger children, in Duplo).

LEGO could do a sub-sarahan African theme that predated European Imperialism, like say about 1000 AD or even earlier than that. They could do a make-believe, good, tribe that is in war with another, bad, make-believe tribe, that are not directly based on real world current or historical African tribes. In this way, there could be enough action for children, and it would not be necessary about hunting animals for food and/or clothing, which it seems that LEGO is unwilling to do outside of DUPLO.

This was one of last years sets

http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=4637-1

Sadly I am not sure if there is much more there to build a theme around?

There's been this too: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6672-1

I think there is at least 1 wave in this. You could have a 'bad guy' element in the form of poachers hideout (although animal death not explicitly shown. Maybe some of those Lone Ranger cow skulls around). There could be a park ranger with a truck. Civilians on photo safari with a guide. Ostrich and Elephant moulds already exist.

I think a theme of conservationist good guys vs poacher bad guys could work. The poachers wouldnt even have to be trying to kill the animals, just capture them for a private collector (think Sam Sinister / Baron von Barron) or a circus.

Even so, the minifigs would probably be all yellow with all the positives and negatives of that. Another criticism might be that Africa would be depicted as nothing more than an animal reservation. And while there are monuments to African civilizations (Timbuktu, Great Zimbabwe, the Nubian Pyramids and Ethiopian churches, etc), these dont have the pop-culture recognition necessary to push an instantly recognizable kid-oriented theme - another reason why we havent seen an African theme, apart from the minifig skin color and the small African market.

Edited by Ardelon

It is such a convuluted issue that anyone in their right mind wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole in all honesty. Egypt has been in two themes now and "South America" was in one theme and a minifigure. So all in all it's pretty much unequal already.

I have always wanted a Safari Theme ever since set 6672 was released in 1990 (the jeep with the film crew and monkey). I'd like to see this remade and perhaps use moulds like the ostrich and camel from Prince of Persia in City sets.

It would be good to have a Nature subtheme (not necessarily all in one wave or particularly large sets) with some new animal moulds, as this is an area in which Lego has really ever fully explored. Some sort of 'Animal Rescue' or Wildlife Documentary' theme would be appropriate (with a focus on conservation) without having the need to have guns, etc. This would appeal to both boys and girls and I am sure smaller more affordable sets would sell well.

The views from each one regarding a Sub-Sahara based theme is interesting, and without a doubt, sparked a remarkable debate.

On one hand, some of us believe that some additional diversity could be great and we would be happy to see more variety. Especially concerning potential animals (Imagine having elephants, rhinos, cheetahs, lions, zebras, etc.).

On the other hand, some think that unfortunately, there is not enough added-value having the African continent more represented into our Lego collection. Some reasons brought were that there is not enough to talk about Africa both on a historic and cultural point of view or that such theme could prove to be such a sensitive topic mostly due to potential violence.

Whilst the points are to a certain extend justified, I would not entirely agree as, for instance, the exploration of Africa could already prove to be an excellent theme on an action and historic point of view. Also, architecturally speaking, there are some fascinating buildings. Finally, one of the biggest and exclusive attractions in Africa remains the Safaris.

After some thoughts, the theme I could see incorporating a Safari feature would be the friends theme. The reason being that this theme has enhanced Lego’s cultural diversity and does not require as many action features like the other Lego lines.

Alternatively, I could see a theme entitled “world discovery” including sets dedicated to the exploration of Africa.

Lastly, we really need a Zulu or Maasai minifigure in the next minifig collection :grin: .

^^ I like your World Discovery name for a City sub-theme idea. A theme centered around exposing children to not only the diversity of animal life, but to the wealth of human history and cultures in those areas. This would be a great educational theme targeted to middle grade school (by the American system) aged children who are beginning to be taught Social Studies. Educational play has long been a Lego ideal. This would entail groups of Lego City characters going on nature vacations. This would be a theme that could be played out in waves for years, targeting different regions of the world in succession. The diversity in the various regions of Africa could give this potential theme 2 1/2 to 3 years of sets. These could also be fazed in and out over time like the existing City sub-themes.

For an action theme, a group called something like Nature Shield would be tasked with protecting endangered animals. It could be a multi-national group that would have conservationists/scientists/veterinarians as well as a police-like enforcement group. They could be be up against a poacher/smuggler type group or groups. Stop the illegal animal trade. Maybe partner with an orgization like Greenpeace for this. Like a conservationist version of the Alpha Team vs Ogel dynamic. Ecology vs Profiteering would make a good morality for this.

If either of these ideas were to be picked up, we could not only see new animals and print variations of existing animals, but also more plant-life pieces and variations. Maybe even incorporating some of the many plant designs made by AFOLs here and elsewhere on the internet.