Jim

[TC10] Technic Pneumatic Contest - Information Topic

28695698780_2321c138d9_c.jpg

TECHNIC PNEUMATIC CONTEST

By popular demand the next Eurobricks Technic Contest is all about Pneumatics. The new Volvo EW160E has been released recently, so it seems like a logical moment to focus on Pneumatics. In the past we've had several great Pneumatic models and recently we kind of lacked a nice manually operated model. TLG stepped up and released the Volvo. They even created a new hand pump for this model. So Pneumatics V2 is very much alive!

DESCRIPTION

Design a pneumatic model operated by one or more hand pumps and/or one or more (PF) motors powering one or more pneumatic pumps. So you can use motors as long as they are used to drive a pneumatic pump. They can't be used for other functions (not even to operate a pneumatic switch). There's no limit on the number of hand or motorized pumps and you can use. Third party hosing, strings and rubber bands are allowed. No other 3rd party parts. LEDs (and other LEGO lights) are permitted when you are using one or more motorized pumps.

Since this contest is all about Technic and Pneumatic, Model Team entries are NOT allowed. A studded model is okay (like the excavator in the picture) but don't turn it into a Model Team entry.

DEADLINE

Deadline date is Monday 31st of October, 2016. Contest will be closed on Tuesday 1st of November, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS

The following section describes the contest specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Model Team entries are NOT permitted. Studded is okay, but no model team.
  • One or more PF motors ARE permitted as long as they operate pneumatic pump(s).
  • You CAN combine hand pumps and motorized pumps.
  • Umbilical cords for hand pumps, switches or other operations ARE permitted.
  • You can use ANY type of motor, as long as it's operating a pump.
  • PF or other motorization is NOT permitted for non pump functions (not even operating a pneumatic switch).
  • LEDs (and other LEGO lights) ARE permitted ONLY in combination with a motorized pump.
  • There is NO limit on the number of pumps or pneumatic cylinders.
  • 3rd party strings, hoses and rubber bands ARE permitted.
  • Other 3rd party parts are NOT permitted.
  • Linear actuators are NOT permitted.
  • Electronics (PF elements used for non pump functions, SBricks and Mindstorms) are NOT permitted.
  • Pullback motors are NOT permitted.
  • There is NO size limit.

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are Jim is not eligible for winning prizes.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?

All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC10].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should NOT be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST

The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • Short summary of the functions.
  • One or more pictures
  • Embedded video (mandatory)
  • Link to the discussion topic

PRIZES

Prizes will be sponsored by the guys from Vengit (SBrick), for which I am of course very thankful. Keep up the good work guys.

WINNERS

The Top-3 contestants will receive a copy of the new Volvo EW160E! And of course they will be rewarded with a medal tag.

$_1.JPG

CONTESTANTS

Each contestant will be rewarded a pneumatic tag as well.

technic_pneumatic.png

Oh look a pneumatic contest. :laugh:

What a surprise! :tongue:

Who'd have thought ... A pneumatic contest!

I need to work out what kit I actually have!

Looking forward to this, want to come up with something slightly left field !

Looking forward to this, want to come up with something slightly left field !

Most of your moc's are left field already. :tongue:

Great!!!

I have a question regarding pneumatic hoses:

Is it worth cutting it to size to fit the exact needs of your model? Or better just design the model to fit the hose as it is?

Since my only pneumatic I have is old and faithful 8040 from early mid-80s, I better come up with some really bonkers idea to overcome lack of pneumatic elements. :classic:

Is it worth cutting it to size to fit the exact needs of your model? Or better just design the model to fit the hose as it is?

Since 3rd party hoses are allowed, I would say yes, it is better to design model to work properly and to look nice, and then cut Lego hoses or 3rd party hoses to fit.

Since my only pneumatic I have is old and faithful 8040 from early mid-80s, I better come up with some really bonkers idea to overcome lack of pneumatic elements. :classic:

Smart use of parts and inventive entries have always been highly appreciated by the voters!.

Edited by Milan

Lack of pneumatics is when you have only the ones from 42008 :D

Oh pneumatic contest,bur I don't have pneumatick... so I think I'll buy Volvo EW160E to get some :D

I feel for you....

IMG_20160816_1145311_zps91hjluus.jpg

Lack of pneumatics is when you have only the ones from 42008 :D

My sets that contain pneumatic is just 42008 too.

Smart use of parts and inventive entries have always been highly appreciated by the voters!.

That is my strategy, that is my plan, "necessity is mother of invention" my motto. :classic:

As usual Milan will also be around to answer your questions.

• One or more PF motors ARE permitted as long as they operate pneumatic pump(s).

• You can use ANY type of motor, as long as it's operating a pump.

Can I use 5292 motor? It is not PF at all.

A quick question - what is the definition of "model"? Does it have to be a scale-model or can it be a generic MOC (of course with pneumatics)?

Can I use 5292 motor? It is not PF at all.

Yes you can.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

A quick question - what is the definition of "model"? Does it have to be a scale-model or can it be a generic MOC (of course with pneumatics)?

It can be any "moc" you like, as long as it has pneumatics.

So for example it could be a two post car lift.

XPR-9D-Two-Post-Lift-BendPak-UK.png

I'm a sucker for badges, so count me in :tongue:

I think "standard" users only can have four badges. :look:

I will change PF motors to motors.

I'm a sucker for badges, so count me in :tongue:

:laugh: Looking forward to see what your magical building hands will do with pneumatic!