BerndDasBrot

M:Tron - a theme review

Hi!

After my two M:Tron MOCs I decided to make a total theme review.

In contrast to my other reviews this one is not picture heavy. It's kind of text heavy.

But If you're younger than vintage 1985 (I hope I can say that) I really suggest you should read this

because IMHO the newer space themes like Life On Mars or Mars Mission will look pale in comparison with M:Tron and its friends. ;-)

Table of contents:

#1 overall information

#2 background information

#3 logo

#4 color scheme

#5 sets

#6 set and instruction pictures

#7 minifigs

#8 patterns

#9 catalogue panorama pictures

#10 brickshelf finds / MOCs using the MTron theme

#11 weblinks

#12 credits

#13 final thoughts

#1 overall information:

The M:Tron theme started in 1990 with five sets. Two special sets came in 1991.

I made a Lego Space Timeline for 1989 to 1992 showing the releases:

mtrontimeline.jpg

M:Tron disappeared in the catalogues in 1993.

#2 background information:

A very short definition, taken from an European catalogue:

"Who's who in LEGO space?

M:Trons have the galaxies best computers and magnetic equipment."

Another one, taken from a german catalogue:

"Alles dreht sich um uns!

Klar - wir sind doch die gro

Edited by BerndDasBrot

What a great blast from the past. Thanks for putting this together. I've enjoyed your MOCs and this gives some great background to the 'youngins'. :-) Hey you! Get off of my lawn *Waves cane!*

A couple of points, Particle Ionizer came in two versions. One with the 'helicopter blades' as shown on the box and then with the modified design. Nothing on the box indicates the change as far as I know (although I still have one of those boxes clanging around somewhere, I don't have two to compare).

There is a great official picture with a very large M:Tron tower. I believe it came from one of the UK catalogues. I wonder if I could dig that up.

Lastly, I it should be noted that M:Tron figures were available with glued Lego studs to their backs as part of a promotion. I'm fuzzy on the details but lots (I think they were being sold in lots of 400 figures!) of these ended up being sold via ebay with Futuron Red, Futuron Yellow, and BlackTron 1 figures. They were glued (even the visors).

-Tohst

This is an excellent overview of a great theme. The background section is interesting. I had seen the blurb about "transporting vital resources" but the German translated one is new to me. They do seem to be some sort of cargo shipping company.

I actually have a sizeable M:Tron poster that came with a Particle Ionizer set I got on ebay. The scene is similar to one of the catalog images you posted (the one with the monorail in the background), but larger.

Why do I think this is old school? Because I grow up with it. It makes me remember the "good old time".

Sitting in a pile of LEGO bricks and pseudoMOCing. Being enthuse about so many sets, I'll buy 15 years later.

I hope you can understand me!

Perfectly well. *y* I only had two of their small sets as a kid, but used to love the magnets and stared at the catalogs all the time. I got the entire line on ebay many years later.

M:Tron seemed to have an unusually large number of pieces with their M logo printed on them. I don't think any other theme had so many logo pieces, apart from classic space.

1992-2klein.jpg

I have this catalog and love this scene. "Surrender, or we'll beat the crap out of you with our wrenches!" :-D

Edited by CP5670

Wow, a mega effort here, a very good review of a pretty cool subtheme.

I never managed to buy an M-tron sets, although this review does kinda make me want to buy one or two of the sets. I never really fully liked the idea of using magnets, and the red and green colour scheme in my opinion does not look too good! Still, some of the designs of the ships are interesting and a Blacktron II 6989 Mobile Recovery Centre would be great! One of the sets I do like a lot in the red and green livery is the 6877 Search Craft, I really like the bi-plane design, I wish I had one.

M-Tron, oh how I love and miss thee!

Wonderful recap of all that is M-Tron. Thank you for bring us all back to 1990.

Thanks for the good overview of this fantastic space theme.

I have surprisingly many of these sets (all but the big ships and the smallest car), but my favorite set has to be the Mega Core Magnetizer - it has tons of playability.

Space Police II was a good substitute, but it didn't have a magnetizer :'-)

I wish M-Tron was still around...Oh well, with classic-style space returning, we may see a M-Tron II!

(P.s: i consider the new good guy space set Space police III.)

Thanks for the rereview. I liked M-Tron as a kid. *wub* Almost all my trans-neon pieces are coming from that line. :-D

Neat

I more or less started out with this theme.

And the ground vehicles with cool steering mechanisms have kinda stuck with me since.

I hadn't realized it till you photographed them all sitting together, but each Spaceship seems to have a Ground vehicle of nearly equivalent size.

I wonder when the magnets fad dissapeared... Wouldnt it be neat to see them come back?

What if magnets were combined with the new Power Functions stuff? an electromagnet that can turn on and off? That kinda added playability might be just the thing to refresh magnets...

The Mega Core Magnetizer is absolutely the best set in the M Tron line. I love the use of the quarter-dome as a windshield.

6989-1.jpg

This is one of the best space themes LEGO has ever produced, everything is well thought out and it has a brilliant color scheme.

thanks for your feedback! I'm glad to see that you liked it.

Space Police II was a good substitute, but it didn't have a magnetizer

But another very cool ground vehicle: 6957 Solar Snooper

I wish M-Tron was still around...Oh well, with classic-style space returning, we may see a M-Tron II!

(P.s: i consider the new good guy space set Space police III.)

IMHO TLG is on the best way to make good (space) sets again (compared to 1997-2004 IMHO). But I don't believe that they can make sets like in the 80/90s. Of course, their building style changed, new parts and so on. But as you said with SPIII it's time to go on and get along with the new things TLG will bring.

(While I make some reviews of the "good old" sets... >:-) :-D )

I wonder when the magnets fad dissapeared... Wouldnt it be neat to see them come back?

What if magnets were combined with the new Power Functions stuff? an electromagnet that can turn on and off? That kinda added playability might be just the thing to refresh magnets...

A PF electromagnet would be really great! :-)

Next to Unitron, this is my next absolute favourite :-$ It's sucha beautiful theme. I don't know why I love em so, I just do! :'-) Thank you for the time for the review, I read the whole thing. Even if I knew most of it already, if not all, I still enjoy reading it if it's about something I like, like watching a good TV program again. Good stuff. *sweet*

Gave me the idea, maybe I should create some unitron and M-tron mocs..

Edit: Psst.. will there be any other space theme reviews? :-$

Edited by Brickmaster

Edit: Psst.. will there be any other space theme reviews? :-$

*thinking* ...maybe Space Police II. But I have to get the 6957 Solar Snooper first.

M-Tron was the only Space theme, I (nearly) owned completely.

But if you want, I also could review sets I don't own. (but that could be kind of "dangerous", because you only see and understand the "power" if you own them.)

Or maybe I could show (off) my Classic space stuff. *sweet*

A most excellent review. M-tron took place during my dark years so a whole theme review was great to see!

*thinking* ...maybe Space Police II. But I have to get the 6957 Solar Snooper first.

Or maybe I could show (off) my Classic space stuff. *sweet*

Any reviews are great, and any collection pictures are always cool - I even love reading reviews of sets I already own :-$ Because odds are, I havent built them in years..

*sweet*

Thank you very much for that informative and well thought-out review with so many fine pictures and interesting links, BerndDasBrot. *y*

A fascinating theme with a clear color scheme and many well designed and very playable sets indeed. My favorite aspect of that line´s

clearly how TLC managed to make attractive sets for kids (and AFOLs X-D ) without shooting devices, crappy aliens, a boring storyline

or some oversized guns'n'dinosaurs.... :-P

A clever idea, a few magnets.... and a lot of play fun on! :'-)

This is absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for taking the time do create this review as it introduced me to a lot of new ideas and I found the inserts of what M-Tron are perceived to be very interesting. LEGO + magnets = ingenious! :laugh: I just wish TLC created another ground vehicle that was medium/large in size (~230 pieces).

Man, this review is amazing. It was a great blast from the past. Gave me a new appreciation of my old M-Tron sets. I might bust them out tonight.

amazing, and its just struck me as strange that lego don't seem to produce those huge, multi-set vistas anymore in their catalogues... such a pity as you can lose track of time getting lost in them...

amazing, and its just struck me as strange that lego don't seem to produce those huge, multi-set vistas anymore in their catalogues... such a pity as you can lose track of time getting lost in them...

Same here. I spent hours staring at those catalogs as a kid and dreaming about creating my own layouts like that some day. They don't have the mini catalogs in the sets at all anymore, only the bigger S@H ones that are distributed separately.

Same here. I spent hours staring at those catalogs as a kid and dreaming about creating my own layouts like that some day. They don't have the mini catalogs in the sets at all anymore, only the bigger S@H ones that are distributed separately.

Awww, I also miss the little picture catalogs from those days. I would be willing to pay the extra cost for them in a retail set, even if they were only included in the larger sets of over 500 pieces or something like that.

I've noticed in my years in the lego community that M-tron and Ice planet seem to also be space's crossover subthemes. They are my faviourite lines, and seem to appeal to a lot of non-space builders. I wonder why?

Thanks for a great review of a wonderful line. The MCM is one of the greatest sets of all time and many of these sets were great fun to build and play and rebuild with.

God Bless,

Nathan

When I translated the German trans mission, I got this.

"It's all about us!

Sure - we're the big inventor with the cool computers and the top magnet hardware!

Whatever happens in space - we can help and save with our strong Ausrstung.

We are in a really good mood - Gigabit it not this Blacktron types. They are always behind our Whips

here and tap into our computer. They make us hllischen of trouble! "