Rufus

Contest Turtle Contest - Entry Thread

gallery_6705_159_126620.jpg

Welcome to the LEGO® and Eurobricks Turtle Competition Entry Thread

To celebrate the coming release of the LEGO® Ideas Exo Suit by Peter Reid, The LEGO Group is teaming up with Eurobricks and we’re going turtle crazy! We invite you to build the coolest tiny turtle you can and submit it to our Turtle Competition! You can win a signed copy of the Exo Suit, a very cool Exo Suit T-shirt or maybe your turtle will be on an exclusive turtle poster that will be given only to those whose turtles are included or who attend the fan event at Skærbæk in September.

Contest Rules

• The contest is open to all users 18 years and older holding a Eurobricks account.
  • To submit an entry: Entrants must design and build a turtle (the creature). The turtle may be generic or based on any non-licensed LEGO theme. Additionally, it must fit onto an 8x8 stud square with no overhang.
  • Your turtle must be photographed on plain white background. (please do not photograph the turtle on the base, the 8x8 base is just a size guideline).
  • Multiple entries are allowed.
  • Post each entry in a single post in this thread. Only one picture is allowed per entry, but you may link to other pictures (eg. on flickr). Text background to accompany your entry is allowed.
  • Only official, unmodified LEGO® parts may be used: no clone brands or customs please. No decals are allowed, official or custom.
  • No digital entries please.
  • The contest begins July 15, 2014 at 15:00 Central European Time. The competition is open for submissions until August 10, 2014 at 15:00 CET. Entries submitted to Eurobricks after this date and time will not be accepted into the contest.
  • Eurobricks members who joined on or before July 14, 2014 23:59 CET will be eligible to vote for their favourite entries between August 11 and August 24 2014.
  • The top vote-getters will form a shortlist to be judged by The LEGO Group's jury between August 25-September 1. TLG reserve the right to include any turtles of our choosing in the final round.
  • Winners will be announced September 5.
  • This is a collaboration between The LEGO Group and Eurobricks. Both parties reserve the right to adjust these rules as necessary.

gallery_6705_159_10550.jpg

Prizes

1st prize - Signed Exo Suit set and exclusive T shirt

2nd prize - Signed Exo Suit set

3rd prize - Exclusive t-shirt

Runners-up (the number yet to be decided) will be included on a poster. The poster will be sent to all of those whose turtle makes the poster and will also be distributed as an exclusive gift at the Skærbæk Fan Event in Denmark in September.

All entries will be entered in a raffle for a signed Exo Suit set (excluding the winners who receive a set).

We ask that you please keep the set built in case further photography is required.

The Jury will consist of:

• Peter Reid, creator of the Exo Suit
  • Mark Stafford, the LEGO Designer who created the final model
  • Karen Frost Sørensen, Project Manager, LEGO Ideas.

Please read the rules in full here.

If you have any questions, please ask in the Discussion Thread.

Happy building!

Hello, I keep meaning to enter contests but leave it until the last minute and then fail to complete my entry. This time I'm the opposite and rode a surge of enthusiasm and determination to enter right at the start!

Here is the Neon Clockwork Chelonian. Her colours were informed mainly by parts availability, but I quickly warmed to the fluorescence. Her core is made of two parabolic rings but the upper, to which is attached the legs, is rotated by 22.5 degrees on a single stud. She's surprisingly sturdy however. I tried giving her minifig fins as flippers but that took her outside the mandated 8 x 8 stud square so I've used slightly more tortoise-like legs instead. I also experimented with adding tools to her shell but felt they detracted from the organic form. So I moved away from specific robotic function in favour of something more whimsical with the addition of the clockwork key.

14473595878_a5b4c10b2b_c.jpg

For my first entry, I wanted to try and stray away from the typical "turtles have to be round" mantra, so here's something a little different: the Chemical Lab Assistant Turtle

14638179756_4fb0090046_z.jpg

LEGO MOC - Chemical Lab Assistant Turtle 1 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

The Chemical Lab Assistant Turtle is an unusual robotic turtle that can be equipped with a variety of external tools. Here, it's equipped with some grabber arms. It's primary function is to assist researchers in space in analysing rocks and chemicals collected during expeditions, but it is also called out often to help with sample collecting in locations where space researchers can't go, such as maybe an area of cave 10 miles below a planet's surface.

Here's another photo that shows the arms detached from the turtle, but the main image (the one in this post) is with arms.

Presenting the member of Conservation Turtle Corps

14638679476_0be65b4c04_b_d.jpg

It has been a long time since I am able to participate in a building contest and I am very glad to come up with my first entry.

It is called the Conservation Turtle. As you notice that this turtle has a rather big shell made of wood instead of hi-tech armour. It aim to protect itself through traditional wood material to remind others to conserve natural resources.

This turtle is an official member of the Conservation Turtle Corps. Their sole mission is to preserve the environmental surroundings in Earth and Deep Space. The light beam ray serve to rectify any known damages and restore to the original state. Not meant to be as a combat weapon. I hope you enjoy viewing this simplistic entry of mine.

More images can be found in my Flickr Album

My entry is the 'TM-1' or Turtle Mechanic 1. It can move around quickly on the wheels mounted below its belly and is equipped with a rotating headlight for search mission in dark places although its glow in the dark eyes can function well on their own. The siren on its head screams out to slow moving peers when it's rushing to a mission. Equipped with a mallet and a spanner, it is all ready to provide a quick fix to any turtle mecha in distress. :)

8073ed24-937e-4cf9-8b36-f674787a0529.jpg

Heres my Lil Guy, ready for action! Spiffy is a mechanical turtle who spends his time exploring and discovering new things in the galaxy :classic: ! Spiffy is mainly made up of gears and technic pieces and his head, legs, and tiny tail all have articulation. Nothings stopping this robotic turtle from blasting off into space! :laugh::wink:

post-103240-0-12950700-1405448599_thumb.jpeg

The stalwart Shell Bot Squad protects the city of Cape Minuscuul from more than just your average space baddies and beasties. Sometimes that means defeating... bad calories!

bad_calories.jpg

The TR-3L shielded recon droid may look like it has 4 legs, but actually they are anti-grav thrusters which allow it to float gently over rough terrain. To protect the droid from hostile environments (and life-forms) it has on-board shield generators which give its 'shell' and 'head' a glowing orange look. The 'head' contains 4 cameras, each sensitive to a different part of the EM-spectrum and the 'tail' is a high bandwidth short range data-link antenna. Due to the high power demands of the sheild system and anti-grav thrusters the TR-3L is powered by a fusion battery which makes it rather heavy and slow, but no droid fares better when scouting out hostile environments.

DSCF2492_zpsdaa7389c.jpg

More photos here: http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/mrwoof3/library/Lego/Turtles

Edited by woofmcmoose

Yeah, I already see that I have no chance at winning.

Also had trouble staying inside the size limits, so his face kinda just stops.

Still, here's Tile-Face.

A giant mecha used as a portable base by space colonists and scientists when exploring aquatic planets.

The strong outer shell allows it to endure any unfavorable weather, and the four legs grant it steady (though not speedy) mobility through the swamps and bogs.

It can also transform into flight-mode for quicker transport, as well as for travel between planets.

14664807055_993ece3590.jpg

"Tile-face" The Terrific Turtle Titan by SteampunkDoc, on Flickr

Evolutionary Response Turtle

Since the start of the motoring era Turtles have always been on the losing end of any accidents as they tried to cross the road, but recently Scientists have discovered an extraordinary evolutionary response. Behold the Double yellow line Turtle! This gene mutation allows it to rest hidden from traffic in the middle of the road and enables it to catch its breath before it dashes to the other side. Nature is Awesome!

14482510390_d98de0db1e_z.jpg

There's an additional image on Flickr of the underside https://flic.kr/p/ojeAny and the two eyes are held in place via technic axles wedged into a 1 x 2 Technic Brick with 2 holes (p/n #32000). Also I can confirm that fits exactly within an 8 x 8.

Edit: I change the temporary image with one with a white background and tidied up some of the text.

Edited by eurotrash

Introducing the Hammer Class Personal Defense TURTL or more commonly known as the HURTL.

This Personal unit is armed to the teeth or in this case shell with armament to protect whomever it calls a friend. Yes Friend, not only do you need to drop 500,000 studs for this little baby, you also have to earn its trust before it will activate weapons systems for you. This was a feature added to prevent the HURTL from falling into the wrong hands. a must have for explorers and salvage teams everywhere!

DSC_0062.jpg

Here may be my first entry to a Eurobricks contest. I feel as if this build really speaks to the amount of time I have in my schedule for building :sad: . This turtle is what I'd like to call minifig scale. It also appears to be highly poisonous judging by the color scheme. I sincerely hope I did not steal anyone's turtle building technique with this build, if I have I apologize and will retract my entry if this is proven to be true.

14684703873_3068e1a5ed_o.jpgEntry to the Eurobricks turtle contest! by firstofminifigs, on Flickr

Here's to completing a more 'substantial' entry in the near future... :blush:

The Golden Turtle

14666237395_676b0ee369_c.jpg

Click on the pic for more detailed shots...

Here's my 1st entry: Purtle (Purple + Turtle)

Purtle has 4 "orange" exhaust floating mechanism at the bottom and maneuver with the help from the orange exhaust tail. The 4 sweeping legs help to glid better during flight mode.

14663878731_a582404fed_c.jpg

Edited by Gene

My second entry (I really should get back to work but Lego creations inspired by nature compel me!) is this ancient, deepwater traveller.

His shell is an abundance of life, home not just for himself but to barnacles, crustaceans and vegetation trailing in the current.

A fish is nibbling on a tasty patch at the rear but he pays it no attention, gliding ever onwards, eyes only for a nutritious morsel of soft coral or succulent seaweed.

14665395271_86dd3fa149_c.jpg

Edited by MECHALEX

This baby is a 7x8 high class turtle used by the miners in LEGO City. This puppy has a computer, crystal holder, rope holder, and for when mines are collapsing this baby can lift up the mine you are in. He also features multiple lights and has a very nice sense of humor. :grin: Introducinnnng, BURT!

More views and features shown here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94823306@N03/sets/72157645725779594/

bLfvk3C.jpg

Edited by NuffSaid1996

LEGO City uses a lot of robots. These robots are designed to help some of the everyday jobs of humans. While not replacing them, they are helpful companions. This model FIR-07, is specifically made for Fire Department needs. featuring tools, a water cannon, and a phone on the back. You are able to have this little guy help a squad of 4 fire-fighters and shave off 15 minutes of work. He also includes white lensed goggles which help the screens on his eyes to not be clouded. He can spot the source of the fire and deplete the risks.

Z9Mj4lQ.jpg