Sign in to follow this  
DLuders

Two New TECHNIC Connectors (with 9468 Set)

As reported by Fernando Correia on this TechnicBRICKS article, there are two new Lego Technic Connectors (just released with the new 9468 Vampyre Castle set).

Bricklink 10197 "Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Hub with 2 Axles" -- Lego Element ID 6005755 (for now available in Dark Bluish Gray only):

10197.jpg

Bricklink 10288 "Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Triple" -- Lego Element ID 6005331 (for now available in Dark Brown only):

10288.jpg

If you ordered these from "Lego Direct" (Lego Customer Service), using the Lego Element IDs above, what would you do with them?

I have some ideas:

1) The 10288 Connector could be used for a "bicycle wheel" or "Ferris Wheel"-type setup, where stacks of the 10288 Connectors could be rotated SLIGHTLY to allow numerous spokes to go outwards from a common center:

10288.jpg10288.jpgStarts-with-a-bicycle-wheel.jpg

2) The 10288 Connector could be used to form GEODESIC DOMES, with Technic Axles connecting them together in pentagons and hexagons:

10288.jpg_dome_dome00.jpg

3) Four 10197 Connectors could be used with four 32034 Technic Connectors (center picture below), to form a 5x5 SQUARE version of the 64179 "Technic, Liftarm 5 x 7 Open Center Thick" part (right picture below):

10197.jpg32034.gif64179.gif

What are your ideas?

Edited by DLuders

The problem with the 5x5 square is that you'll still need some sturdy bracing so it won't fall apart under stress. But we'll see how it's used soon enough.

@mahjqa

you could brace the box version using the holes at all four ends of the box if you were to use the new part.

tim

One could form a hexagonal grid with 10288 parts and 2L Technic Axles, to simulate Carbon Fiber or reptile scales:

10288.jpg129483817543.jpg

So many times new lego TECHNIC elements fall under the radar because they aren't included in any actual Technic sets... :laugh:

I have no idear what ill use them for but im going to order 25 of each

I have no idea what I would use them for either. I would get 26 or 24 though.. I typically stay away from "odd" orders because I always run into a situation where I need just one more of a piece to complete a set-symmetry requires two of the same piece etc

I have no idea what I would use them for either. I would get 26 or 24 though.. I typically stay away from "odd" orders because I always run into a situation where I need just one more of a piece to complete a set-symmetry requires two of the same piece etc

Exactly! :classic:

What are your ideas?

i have no idea yet how i'll use them, but i'll be ordering them as soon as they become available. gotta have some of everything in the inventory, because you never know.

KEvron

Edited by KEvron

Maybe the Y-shaped 10288 Technic Connector could be used to make a more-sturdy Lego Planetary Gear (epicyclic wheel) setup (using the Power Miners wheel described in this TechnicBRICKS topic) -- thanks to Mark Bellis:

10288.jpgpower_miners_wheel_inserts.jpgpower_miners_wheel_insert_12_24_12.jpg

I just got off the telephone with Lego Customer Service ("Lego Direct") in Enfield, Connecticut USA at 1-800-838-9647, ext. 1. The Bricklink 10288 (Lego Element ID 6005755) part is not available for sale until July 2012; no price was given. However, the 10197 part (Lego Element ID 6005331, pictured below) is available now for USD $0.18 each. I'm going to make some 3-dimensional frames with them:

10197.jpg

THe Customer Service person said I could have ordered 10 different Lego parts (in whatever quantities I wanted for each part), as long as I had the Lego Element IDs and a credit card. Months ago, they used to say I could order 15 different line items.

The new 90 deg. connector bits seem like they'll work quite well with those 3-length pins that are part friction pin and part "knobby axle-joiner"... the ones that can be removed quite easily by hand.