Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

LDD Design Challenge #6

OK, in rapid succession, here is challenge #6

This time it's about speed and putting the LDD GUI to the test. How fast can you build in LDD? We crave a champion!

The rules are simple:

1) Start LDD with a new blank workspace in LU-mode. No expanded brick categories, no pre-selected colors. Just plain start-up mode.

2) Build the below model as fast as you can. Stop the timer when you put the last brick in place (the time it takes to move you hand to the stop-watch or PC-timer should be included in the total time, to make it simple).

3) Post your time here.

DesignChallenge6-SpeedBuilding.jpg

PS1: For reference, the jpg-image, as well as the LXF-file is attached below.

PS2: I thought we'd have the same speed building contest with the 4.0 GUI once it's released, just to measure the difference.

SpeedBuilding.zip

Wow, the idea with a video is great.

The reason I came up with this challenge is that I was if the GUI of LDD could be improved for increased speed and ease use. Then I thought that speed building is one way of testing the efficiency of a GUI. I also thought it would interesting to see how different people use LDD, and your video is actually the ultimate way to see this.

I don't have the software to do a video, but I did time myself, and I got 4 minutes and 2 seconds.

OK folks, 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Canada has taken the lead. But for how long? :tongue:

EDIT: Error in the time keeping department: 4 and minutes and 2 seconds. :blush:

OK folks, 4 minutes and 20 seconds. Canada has taken the lead. But for how long? :tongue:

Not 20 seconds, 2 seconds :grin:

And BTW, if someone beats my time, can I do it again and post my new time? :tongue:

Edited by prateek

You know what would be a usefull function in GUI? When you press shape selection tool, that there could be an option to swap bricks, like swap all 1x1x1 bricks with a round 1x1.

Praatek good job, guess I am too slow :classic:

Edited by Zblj

You know what would be a usefull function in GUI? When you press shape selection tool, that there could be an option to swap bricks, like swap all 1x1x1 bricks with a round 1x1.

OK, sounds like a good idea. Anyone else got some ideas for GUI? (GUI = Graphical User Interface, i.e. layout of buttons etc in the software)