Sign in to follow this  
Walter Kovacs

UCS Scale TIE Shuttle

gallery_101_23_281.gif

In my never ending quest to create a UCS scale version of evry TIE alternate, I've had a few disappointing models. One of the worst, at least in my opinion, was my TIE Bomber. It was one of my first models, and I think it showed. So when I decided to do the TIE Shuttle, I knew I had to use a different approach than the old TIE Bomber used.

The TIE Shuttle was one of the few TIE Alternates to get screen time. It is seen in The Empire Strikes Back shuttling Captain Needa to his fateful end at the hands of Darth Vader. At least you see it's back end. Here is the link to the Wookiepedia page for more information.

3/4 View

1.jpg

And here she is. As you can see, aside from the top and bottom of the main cylinders, nearly everything else is SNOTed. In order to achieve this, I used a combination of rings of locking 1 x 2 dual hinge bricks and locking 1 x 4 dual hinge bricks and rings of Technic angle connector #4s with 4L and 2L axles. The result is a very strong tube, which can withstand the torque from the wing pylons and the center section.

Front View

img_3378.jpg

While good, these tubes are not perfect. There is some droop around the center section. I could probably eliminate it by extending the technic beams that form the core of the center section and pylons through the tubes, but then I lose all of the interior. I think I can live with a little droop.

I was originally going to take the printing off of that 10 x 10 dish on the passenger side. I bought it with that intention. But I thought the printing would work well in this situation. I don't think it detracts, but I'm willing to hear any criticisms.

Side View

img_3374.jpg

I spent a lot of time trying to add detail to the wings, which I typically ignore. They came out pretty well.

Back View

img_3373.jpg

On my original TIE Bomber, I had the Ion Engines in the wrong place. This model fixes that oversight.

Cockpit

img_3346.jpg

As always, I like to have detailed cockpits. The pilot's seat is one of the better ones I've come up with, mostly because I wasn't trying to shehorn it into a standard TIE cockpit ball. A little space makes all the difference in the world.

The front console has a few printed slopes, but not too many. This TIE is mainly used to go between capital ships, so there isn't too much it needs to do. I re-used the control stick from my TIE Hunter model, as it is the best I've come up with to date. I might never change it again. Bah, who am I kidding?

If you look behind the pilot's seat, you'll see some greebles. I intended these to be the engines. I was going to have three sets of these around the edges of this cylinder, but the 2 x 2 plate with pin to hold the greeb in place interfered with the sides of the cylinder. So only the ones on the floor remain. :hmpf_bad:

Console Front

img_3347.jpg

I always prefer to add a little front to the pilot's console controls. It helps fill that space with a little detail.

Passenger Compartment

img_3344.jpg

What would a shuttle be without a passenger compartment? Nothing, that's what. These two seats are exactly the same as the pilot's seat (well, the printed tiles are slightly different) and are pretty snug in there. There wasn't quite as much space as I had thought there was. Once completed, no one will ever know that they exist. So why add them in? Because I know they are there, and I felt it important that they exist.

Center Front

img_3348.jpg

The center section is pretty interesting, at least to me. The Technic bricks attach to the rest of the model with studs forward, so you are looking at the front right now. I originally greebled the entire hull of the ship, but scaled it back to just the center section. I'm glad I did. The fully greebled version looked far too busy.

Center Top

img_3349.jpg

The top uses some simple SNOT to get the studs the right way.

Center Bottom

img_3351.jpg

Same with the bottom. You can see the empty hole I created for the display stand. The center section was actually the first part of the model I finished designing, right after perfecting my ring design.

Center Back

img_3350.jpg

Getting the studs facing the right way for the back took a bit of doing. I used several 1 x 2 bricks with studs on sides to do the job. They are the black parts you can see on the side. The sides of the center section were left open, since they don't show on the finished model. Well, maybe they do, but you have to really work to see them.

Obviously, this design can be adapted to create any other TIE alternate that uses a TIE Bomber-like shape. I haven't designed the necessary accoutrements to turn this into a TIE Bomber yet, but it should be pretty easy. The TIE Hammer, TIE Interdictor or TIE Boarding Craft also share quite a bit in common with this design. Perhaps you'll see one of those TIEs from me very soon :wink:

As always, Comments and Constructive Criticism is very much appreciated.

Gallery, when moderated.

Another fabulous UCS TIE fighter Walter Kovacs. :thumbup:

Do you have a picture of all the tie fighters you have made so far.

LegoGalactus

In my never ending quest to create a UCS scale version of evry TIE alternate, I've had a few disappointing models. One of the worst, at least in my opinion, was my TIE Bomber. It was one of my first models, and I think it showed. So when I decided to do the TIE Shuttle, I knew I had to use a different approach than the old TIE Bomber used.

I actually loved your old one but when I compare it to this new masterpiece I have to admit that THIS IS AMAZING! :thumbup:

The bomber and even the cockpit is highly detailed - as always! I actually don't have time to take a look at all those details! :cry_happy:

The shape and the proportions are just perfect - GREAT job indeed! :oh3:

CAN'T WAIT to see more of your upcoming MOCs. :wub:

100% sure that THIS is going to be frontpaged!

Another fabulous UCS TIE fighter Walter Kovacs. :thumbup:

Do you have a picture of all the tie fighters you have made so far.

LegoGalactus

Alas, I am not made out of money. To build any of my designs, I have to cull parts from my system sets. So the models are together long enough to take the initial photos, and then to make sure none of the responders want any extra photos, perhaps an angle I hadn't thought of.

All of my photos can be seen in my Brickshelf folder, though. The link is in my signature.

I actually loved your old one but when I compare it to this new masterpiece I have to admit that THIS IS AMAZING! :thumbup:

The bomber and even the cockpit is highly detailed - as always! I actually don't have time to take a look at all those details! :cry_happy:

The shape and the proportions are just perfect - GREAT job indeed! :oh3:

CAN'T WAIT to see more of your upcoming MOCs. :wub:

100% sure that THIS is going to be frontpaged!

Well, I'm glad you like it, Darth Lion. While I would be honored if it were frontpaged, I never expect my designs to receive that honor. I've seen a lot of great MOCs here that don't get that honor.

I have one more TIE that I've already taken pictures of. I'll let this thread run it's course before starting another. After that, I have two more designs that are complete, one of which I know I have the parts to build. The other I have to check on yet.

One thing I forgot to ask everyone. Is there a specific TIE alternate you'd like to see me work on? I am leaning towards a standard TIE Fighter, since there are a LOT of alternates that use that one as a base. I'm having trouble getting the wing right, without breaking down and completely plagerizing someone else's work. And I can't envision a good way to connect the wing to a pylon, at least not right now. Any other suggestions?

Reason for Edit: Spelling mistake :blush:

yet another really great work...

I would have just one (minor) complain, though : there doesn't seem to be any access hatch or anything... how do the passengers get in?

And since you're taking order :blush:, how about a Chiss Clawcraft? although I'm not sure if it can be considered as an alternate TIE...

Edited by yellost

Wow. Very nice UCS.

I took a look at some of your other models and they are all brilliant.

Well Done

Another superb variant !

I'd vote for a standard TIE as your next project - I'm really looking forward to comparing it with Anio's beautiful creation which I was pleased to be able to recreate from Oxycrest's instructions and which still sits proudly on display in my house.

Cheers,

Dr. D.

AWESOME just simply AWESOME 'Walter Kovacs' !

Beautiful built, excellent cockpit, but this looks like a Tie boarding craft like what was used in A New Hope to board Leia's Blockade Runner ?

Fantastic design job and I'm a conformist! 'Walter Kovacs' really I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Quality improvements from the TIE Bomber and it shows. Another one done and how many more to go?

You probably ought to do some sort of diorama in the future for your UCS scale ships with miniland sized figures of TIE fighter pilots, stormtroopers or maybe even Vader himself. :wink: That would be incredibly awesome! :thumbup:

AC

Wonderful, simply wonderful Walter! I'd definitely heard of your TIE project, and looked over some of your designs, but I really never fully appreciated your work into I really looked into this one. I love a the incredible details, from the SNOT dripping all over the model, to the cool interior.

Keep up the awesome work! (I would love to see a UCS Tie Crawler, I'd fallen in love with the design long before Lego released one)

Wow thats an amazing TIE model. It radiates brilliance. Looking forward to your next project.

Well Done! :thumbup:

Thank you for all of your comments.

I would have just one (minor) complain, though : there doesn't seem to be any access hatch or anything... how do the passengers get in?

And since you're taking order :blush:, how about a Chiss Clawcraft? although I'm not sure if it can be considered as an alternate TIE...

I thought about a hatch, but there were two problems with that.

1) None of the source pictures show where the hatch is located, or what it looks like.

2) With the likely locations of a hatch, I can't think of a good way to install one without de-stabilizing the entire model.

Perhaps I'll add a hatch on a second revision. If you notice, the cockpit has no entrance for the pilot, either :sceptic:

The Clawcraft is certainly on my list of alternates to do. It was some difficult architecture, and would certainly present a challenge.

AWESOME just simply AWESOME 'Walter Kovacs' !

Beautiful built, excellent cockpit, but this looks like a Tie boarding craft like what was used in A New Hope to board Leia's Blockade Runner ?

Fantastic design job and I'm a conformist! 'Walter Kovacs' really I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

It's decidedly not the boarding craft. That one is coming a lot sooner than you know :wink:

Quality improvements from the TIE Bomber and it shows. Another one done and how many more to go?

You probably ought to do some sort of diorama in the future for your UCS scale ships with miniland sized figures of TIE fighter pilots, stormtroopers or maybe even Vader himself. :wink: That would be incredibly awesome! :thumbup:

AC

Thanks AC. Seeing how I can only build one UCS TIE at a time, doing a diorama with all of them at the same time will be...difficult at best. Unless you'd care to donate your brick collection to me? :tongue:

The best I can do is render the models and compose them into a scene. Sort of like this. Obviously I haven't updated that picture in a while.

Keep up the awesome work! (I would love to see a UCS Tie Crawler, I'd fallen in love with the design long before Lego released one)

I've thought about doing the two treaded TIEs soon. Both the Crawler and the Mauler are interesting models.

Wow thats an amazing TIE model. It radiates brilliance. Looking forward to your next project.

Well Done! :thumbup:

I should have another one up by the end of the week. The pics are up and the folder's been moderated. If there are no criticisms on that one, then I have two more that I can build. So that makes three more models within the next two or three weeks. Then you go into withdrawal :tongue::devil: