Sign in to follow this  
Legoboy22

What train should I get next?

Hello everyone, a spot has just opened up on my layout for one more lego train. I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best, and i already have the 7939 yellow cargo train, 7938 red passenger train, horizon express, hogwarts express that is motorized with power functions, one extra set of power functions and 2 4.5 volt trains from the blue track era. I was thinking in the maersk or emerald night but they are both expensive so i can only really get 1 with my budget for lego trains. So please give your feedback and thank you in advance:)

Why not another steamer? The Constitution Train Chase looks very good when modified according to Zephyer1934's instructions...

See them at Railbricks instructions portal: http://railbricks.com/instructions/

Or maybe another UK steamer like this Scotnick model (revised and built IRL by me):

10838154446_464bba23cf_z.jpg

What do you think? (i'm not trying to blow my own whistle, i just thought you might like this model...)

Edited by Murdoch17

Wow that looks wonderful. I will consider this especially because I love the steamers like yours and the emerald night, but i want to hear everyone else's opinions first. Love the wheels and the sections of the boiler, great job!

If you have the budget for either one of the Maersk or Emerald Night then grab the Emerald Night. Especially if you like Steam trains. It's a great set and easily one of the best train sets Lego has produced. You can easily produce add on passenger cars as well with slightly different variations to avoid forking out for the expensive windows.

If you prefer a diesel loco then the Maersk is a good build and nice addition to the freight set that you already have.

Wow that looks wonderful. I will consider this especially because I love the steamers like yours and the emerald night, but i want to hear everyone else's opinions first. Love the wheels and the sections of the boiler, great job!

Thanks, but Scotnick designed this one.. I guess it's kinda like the artist (Scotnick) and his painting, that then that masterwork get's critiqued and reviewed by the art gallery (me) and the public (anyone else who builds it).

But that is like saying: "what laptop should I choose" or "what car should I buy"? Depending on a lot of different factors, people have their preferences and they might not be your preferences! I like steamers too! Or e.g. a custom US train. The Emerald Night is a very nice train but has drawbacks in how it drives. And apart from the locomotive, what do you want to pull, passengers, or goods, or even a mix?!

The maersk could look different due to the amount of detail it got in comparison with your other trains. The emerald night would look better in my opinion and ofcourse the maersk is not in an 'normal' livery so pulling different wagons could look strange. But The emerald night doesn't fit with your other trains (except for the hogwarts). So what do you want? A train that looks 'to old', or a train that doesn't easily fit in whit other wagons. I should say go for the emerald night!

What about Metroliner? It's one of the all time classic trains, and you can squeeze power functions. Parts are easy to obtain to make more coaches, or you could really blow the budget and get a club car for it.

But that is like saying: "what laptop should I choose" or "what car should I buy"? Depending on a lot of different factors, people have their preferences and they might not be your preferences! I like steamers too! Or e.g. a custom US train. The Emerald Night is a very nice train but has drawbacks in how it drives. And apart from the locomotive, what do you want to pull, passengers, or goods, or even a mix?!

Generally I do like passenger trains better than cargo trains so I will have a better look at the metroliner to to see if it is too my liking.

The maersk could look different due to the amount of detail it got in comparison with your other trains. The emerald night would look better in my opinion and ofcourse the maersk is not in an 'normal' livery so pulling different wagons could look strange. But The emerald night doesn't fit with your other trains (except for the hogwarts). So what do you want? A train that looks 'to old', or a train that doesn't easily fit in whit other wagons. I should say go for the emerald night!

i really love the emerald night but I just found out that the cheapest price on ebay is 500$ I still like the train though regardless of the price so it is still a good option. Edited by Legoboy22

I would also go with the metroliner, at 500$ the emerald night is way overpriced. I've owned one, and it was not worth the money IMHO. The set is just out off scale compared to the other LEGO trains.

Other possibilities:

BNSF loc with some TTX flat beds.

Santa Fe loc with some carriages.

Cheers

I would also go with the metroliner, at 500$ the emerald night is way overpriced. I've owned one, and it was not worth the money IMHO. The set is just out off scale compared to the other LEGO trains.

Other possibilities:

BNSF loc with some TTX flat beds.

Santa Fe loc with some carriages.

Cheers

Thanks but where would I find the santa fe loco?

500$ the emerald night is way overpriced. I've owned one, and it was not worth the money IMHO.

$500 :o

Ha ha ha ha ha. :classic: This is what my kids have done to the Emerald Night (the tender is from the Lone Ranger train).

The front bogie is missing. My 3 year old blu-tacked it to a wooden train we made, then painted it red. :grin:

16379042301_6ce1261a41_z.jpg

Edited by andythenorth

$500 :o

Ha ha ha ha ha. :classic: This is what my kids have done to the Emerald Night (the tender is from the Lone Ranger train).

The front bogie is missing. My 3 year old blu-tacked it to a wooden train we made, then painted it red. :grin:

where is the cab :laugh:

LEGO engineer and fire man don't need a cab. They're hardy figs. :laugh:

Since you prefer passenger train and your collection seems to more towards modern looking trains, how about 60051?

LEGO engineer and fire man don't need a cab. They're hardy figs. :laugh:

Since you prefer passenger train and your collection seems to more towards modern looking trains, how about 60051?

I have something against that horrible one piece nose and even smaller platform than the 7938. I would not eagerly buy that train but thank you for replying.

Personally I would go with the Metroliner too it honestly in my opinion is one of the best trains I have and you can usually get it from as cheap as it gets ($150) which it rock bottom to the highest I have seen for a used set to $250. I was able to score my 4558 at $200 in great condition with a battered box, sometimes eBay has a great deal if you search for it otherwise check bricklink. I am still trying to hunt for a club car but those things are half the price of the train for one carriage!

Good Luck on getting the right train for you!

-RailCo

Personally I would go with the Metroliner too it honestly in my opinion is one of the best trains I have and you can usually get it from as cheap as it gets ($150) which it rock bottom to the highest I have seen for a used set to $250. I was able to score my 4558 at $200 in great condition with a battered box, sometimes eBay has a great deal if you search for it otherwise check bricklink. I am still trying to hunt for a club car but those things are half the price of the train for one carriage!

Good Luck on getting the right train for you!

-RailCo

Thank you for telling me about bricklink and the metroliner, really appreciate it:)

my favorite trains are the metroliner, sante fe superchief, and the maersk. I don't mind the Emerald Night, I'm just not that into steamers.

The Metroliner and Club car are a good pairing and make a pretty good train to run.

The Superchief isn't too bad, but a bit long (and pricey) to run if you want to do it right. (To be authentic, you would have to have 4 engines and a bunch

of pullman cars)

The Maersk, one is definitely too small, so you might have to buy another one or slowly build your own container cars.

Again, with the Emerald Night. It isn't too bad of a train, but having only one carriage with the set is disappointing. It would have been sweet if Lego would have released a stand-alone set for the carriages. And it doesn't help that the train windows in tan are horribly expensive.

My top choices are the metroliner and the emerald night. I really like the santa fe super chief but to get a good sized train it could cost over 1000$ so thank you everyone for your advice.

My top choices are the metroliner and the emerald night. I really like the santa fe super chief but to get a good sized train it could cost over 1000$ so thank you everyone for your advice.

You could also make a different train based on e.g. the Santa Fe of course. I'm working on a Union Pacific train. Already have the Engine and the postal waggon but still need boxcars and e.g. cattle wagons. The costs will vary per car of course. The Engine is about 80€ I think.

The Superchief isn't too bad, but a bit long (and pricey) to run if you want to do it right. (To be authentic, you would have to have 4 engines and a bunch

of pullman cars)

i never saw pictures of 4 Santa Fe engines. I usually see two A units with a B unit between. But you definitely need a lot of pullmans, around 15, maybe?! To much tho. Edited by THERIZE