Sign in to follow this  
Slegengr

On the Path to Falkidalr - AoM: Wall Phase I

After the encounter with the Algus at the summer smithy, Frode and Stian ride speedily to warn Falkidalr of the approaching threat. Along the way, they pass two farmers with their pigs and alert them as well.

22480711803_51b819effa_c.jpg

23088170512_f90ed57bfd_z.jpg23088150532_3112bb1ea4_z.jpg

22480628103_fb9c31bc13_z.jpg22683476687_65b0df03ed_z.jpg

23075743546_2df4ca4647_z.jpg22709524089_b6aefae01b_z.jpg

22683360958_5dd90d80cc_z.jpg22709483809_8f4572a79f_z.jpg

22709461669_9a5034158f_c.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for viewing! C&C are much appreciated.

This build’s inspiring elements were the two techniques for trees, both for trunks and for foliage placement. They proved to be somewhat challenging, but I was pleased with the results. I will definitely be modifying or abandoning the slope-brick branches, as they are too jagged on the top, but I was quite satisfied with the SNOT plate branch. The deciduous and evergreen trees both are a satisfactory result for me, but they are too parts-intensive to replicate for an entire forest…

-Slegengr

P.S. Per numerous requests, I am adding a basic tutorial for the olive green small pine trees. The images show the individual components. The basic elements are the olive green foliage pieces and the black bar/clip combination piece in various arrangements.

The base is the octagonal bar around the 2x2 studs. Bar clips are attached by the clip and the foliage pieces are slipped over the bar end.

To alter the diameter, I simply replaced the octagonal bar with a chain of bar clips, using two rings with 6 bar clips each and three rings with 4 bar clips. By clipping a bar clip to the bar of each bar clip after making the bar clip chain (sorry if this is confusing), a bar end is left sticking out for the attachment of the foliage pieces.

The top is completed by sliding a 1x1 black cone (stud down) to secure the rings and a bar clip with foliage piece onto the top of the lance to fill out the top.

Due to the clip connection, the size of chain is unlimited and the angles for the foliage are unlimited (or nearly so). The foliage pieces can be rotated on the bar connection to add to the randomness of the organic shape. This technique and variants thereof are likely to show up in my future MOCs.

Pictures to clarify explanation:

23140470312_210d6f71f7_n.jpg

23103980426_f141ded084_m.jpg22735907497_5a6b014e46_m.jpg23165980921_01e798813a_m.jpg

23130045615_37a3847193_m.jpg22735990928_b5ed5c15d7_m.jpg

Edited by Slegengr

I like your shepherds crook solution, I haven't seen one that actually looked reasonable until this MOC. :thumbup:

I really like those olive trees! :wub: Are these (75937.jpg) involved in the lower section? Tutorial please! :grin:

Oh my goodness, those pines... NPU overload! *huh*

Amazing build, Slegengr! This colors are just awesome.

Edited by Graham Gidman

Great technique for the shepherd's staff! :thumbup: Love the olive trees/bushes too!

This one is top, the posing, the trees, colors and techniques makes it come to life.

Looking really great.

Some delicious tree techniques here.

And the colour scheme smells of spring honey and that tasty bread only dwarfs and hobbits can bake indeed ! :classic:

Very nice! The wall looks good, and the trees are very nice as well. Keep it up!

Thanks, Andrew!

I like your shepherds crook solution, I haven't seen one that actually looked reasonable until this MOC. :thumbup:

I really like those olive trees! :wub: Are these (75937.jpg) involved in the lower section? Tutorial please! :grin:

Thanks, mrcp6d! Yes, those pieces are the foundation piece for the foliage. A tutorial will be added to the original post.

Nice build! Great looking trues! :thumbup:

Thanks, Mike S!

The fence and the pines are very nice! How did you do the pines, exactly?

Thanks, Adair! Tutorial will be added to the original post.

Oh my goodness, those pines... NPU overload! *huh*

Amazing build, Slegengr! This colors are just awesome.

Thanks, Graham!

Lovely vegetation!

Thanks, TitusV!

Very convincing scene! I to would like a how to for those pine trees

Thanks, Hobbythom! Tutorial will be added to the original post.

Beautiful trees! Love the first pic.

Thanks, Jacob!

Great technique for the shepherd's staff! :thumbup: Love the olive trees/bushes too!

Thanks, Kai! I am not sure whether the shepherd's staff is truly purist, as it requires the cutting of 3mm flex hose, but I broke down and did it none the less. Third party pieces just are not an option for me.

The trees look fantastic so well worth the effort.

Thanks, frumpy!

This one is top, the posing, the trees, colors and techniques makes it come to life.

Thanks, Niku!

Great job on the trees.

Thanks, BrickCurve!

Lovely build!

Thanks, Lord Vladivus!

I love it. You can feel the autumn in it. Great trees. Does anyone know the technic for making those olive green bushes?

Thanks, dzidek1983! Tutorial will be added to the original post.

Looking really great.

Some delicious tree techniques here.

And the colour scheme smells of spring honey and that tasty bread only dwarfs and hobbits can bake indeed ! :classic:

Thanks, KlidsBrik! I actually intended an autumn scene (with the leaves on the ground), but spring works as well! If my MOC inspires smells as well, then I am accomplishing a more complete MOC than I first thought!

Superb tree designs :wub: I really like the tundra colors in the landscape as well, looks Mitgardian without by snowy and icy :thumbup:

Excellent fence too :classic:

The trees are beautifully created, the foliage between the path and the trees looks very good too

Another fabulous landscape, Slegengr! The trees, bushes and vegetation are all great, and the landscaping works really well.

I might copy that technique for the bushes! :classic:

Beautiful tree work. I really like the technique you used. The farm and fencing is nicely done, but I think it's missing an entrance.