Darkdragon

Scooby Doo Mafia: All Fired Up - Day 1

20239670713_3fdd8eceb1_o.png

Sign-Up | Confirmation | Day 1

22255033182_49ab198cfa_b.jpg

22267881745_e9566bf15b_b.jpg

Welcome to Day 1, campers! Today there will be no lynch vote. Instead, you will be voting on the Town PRs. As with a lynch vote, there is no voting in the first 24 hours. The two PR roles with the highest vote counts will be assigned to two random Town players at the end of Day 1. In the case of a tie, a PR will be chosen randomly. There will be no announcement of the PRs if they are assigned randomly. You are each required to vote for at least one PR, but you may vote for two.

You must choose from this list of Power Roles:

• Cop: At night, you may learn the alignment of a player you select.
  • Tracker: At night, you may select a player. You will learn the name of the player that person targeted with an ability (if any).
  • Watcher: At night, you may select a player. You will learn the name(s) of the player(s) who targeted that person with an ability (if any).
  • Roleblocker: At night, you may disable all the active abilities of a player of your choice.
  • Doctor: At night, you may choose a player to protect from the Mafia's night kill. They are guaranteed to live through the night unless a Mafia Strongman submitted the kill on them.

Rules

1. Each player will be given a character to play, who will be aligned with either the Town or the Mafia. To win the game, the Town must kill off all the Mafia, while the Mafia needs to outnumber the Town. Third-Party (neutral) characters have their own win conditions as outlined in their roles.
  2. Each day you will be able to vote to lynch a player. Voting should be done in the following format; Vote: Character (Player). Similarly, unvoting is to be done in the format; Unvote: Character (Player). No other format will be accepted. A majority vote is required to lynch a player.
  3. A game day will last a maximum of 72 hours. You may not vote in the first 24 hours. After the day has concluded, a night stage will commence, which will last a maximum of 48 hours. Night actions must be sent to the host in the first 24 hours of the night stage.
  4. The alignment of lynched players, as well as those that died during the night, will be revealed at the beginning of the following day.
  5. You may not quote or pretend to quote anything sent to or from you in PM with the game host. This includes all the details of your character and role, as well as any night action results. Role claims and reporting of night action results are acceptable, but in your own words only. Do not attempt to use the structure of your role PM to your advantage.
  6. Do not play the game outside the thread. Similarly, do not post out of character inside the thread; you must always play the role given to you. Game tactics and roles may only be discussed in the game thread.
  7. If you are dead, you may not post in thread or discuss the game with any of the players. Any information you had becomes void, and may not be passed on.
  8. You may not edit your posts.
  9. You must post in every day thread.
  10. If you encounter a problem or have a question, please contact the host via PM.
  11. No player is allowed to privately contact any other player in this game about/playing the game. This includes but is not limited to PM, chat (such as IRC), IM (such as Skype and Steam), phone, and playing in person. All game discussion must take place in the appropriate day thread. The scum team will have a writeboard to use during the night phase only.
  12. Violation of the above rules will result in a vote penalty of half the required majority against you on your first offence, and the death of your character on your second offence. Violation of rule 7 will have a heavier penalty, including suspension, made at the discretion of the Games Moderator.

The Gang (NPC) [/td]
21505978874_563b6d0eb1_q.jpg 21941898079_da5d65ce27_q.jpg 22128825525_316bcfa129_q.jpg 22116262302_89cb0d7d14_q.jpg 21505969464_bb738863b6_q.jpg
Scooby-Doo Shaggy Fred Daphne Velma

Players

21507724153_c36ba0926a_q.jpg Alec McKenzie (Bob)

22138946691_a772868a01_q.jpg Carla Riddle (Dragonator)

22116259992_179faf7bd0_q.jpg Derrick Bird (Dragonfire)

22138939681_645ae617e3_q.jpg Desiree Walters (mediumsnowman)

22128823265_8303a0d623_q.jpg Lynn Benton (TrumpetKing)

21940937118_42e5def469_q.jpg Matthew Huff (def)

22102624896_2ef9bc67c0_q.jpg Patti Best (Piratedave84)

21507696193_0922ff3d30_q.jpg Trenton Collins (JackJonespaw)

22128811445_99c6acbdd3_q.jpg Theodore Dunn (Scubacarrot)

Hey everyone! Looks like nobody's gonna die today, so let's just relax and have some fun :cry_happy: :cry_happy:

Voting on town power roles, never seen that one done before :wacko: We obviously need a Cop, I'd say that's a no-brainer, but as for the second PR, I'm not sure which would be the most useful in this situation...

Doctor: At night, you may choose a player to protect from the Mafia's night kill. They are guaranteed to live through the night unless a Mafia Strongman submitted the kill on them.

Mafia Strongman? We have a Mafia Strongman in this game? *runs to mafiascum.net to check the role description*

Strongman is a role modifier that signifies that any kills performed by this player cannot be blocked by any means - neither by Bulletproof, nor by Doctor or other protective roles, nor by Roleblocks. It is, however, trumped by roles that prevent the victim from being targeted at all, namely Commuter and Hider.

Strongman is usually X-Shot. It is usually scum-aligned, but has been seen on Town Vigilantes as well (where the overall role is called Juggernaut).

Normal Guidelines

A Mafia or Serial Killer aligned Strongman is considered Normal on mafiascum.net. A Strongman cannot be stopped from performing a kill, unless their target hascommuted. A Bodyguard would essentially be stopped from protecting against a kill and would not die.

So we have a role which can kill people without the Doctor or Roleblocker being able to intervene. Isn't that a bit unfair?

If that is the case, then there is no point in choosing either of those (Doctor and Blocker) roles, but that may just have been a red herring. Or perhaps there is a random element in the scum's roles, too. Not much point in discussing that, because there's no way to know. I agree with you, that a cop seems the most useful, as for the second role, I believe a tracker could probably tell us as much as a cop with the limited amount of people that are here. The random PRs will do their thing, the rest of the townies will be doing nothing, and the scum will be doing evil things.

So, Private Bird, why is your speech so... odd?

Oh, I just reread what the tracker in this case does, only gives you a name. In my day, trackers were much more useful, I can tell you that!

If that is the case, then there is no point in choosing either of those (Doctor and Blocker) roles, but that may just have been a red herring. Or perhaps there is a random element in the scum's roles, too. Not much point in discussing that, because there's no way to know. I agree with you, that a cop seems the most useful, as for the second role, I believe a tracker could probably tell us as much as a cop with the limited amount of people that are here. The random PRs will do their thing, the rest of the townies will be doing nothing, and the scum will be doing evil things.

So you'd advocate choosing tracker and cop? If there really is a strongman, then I agree that would be our best bet.

So, Private Bird, why is your speech so... odd?

I'm quite offended that you think this. I prefer to call it a little idiosyncrasy of mine :wink::tongue:

(Oh, and I left the army three years ago, no need to refer to me by my former occupation. You can call me Derrick :sweet: )

So you'd advocate choosing tracker and cop? If there really is a strongman, then I agree that would be our best bet.

Tracker and watcher are nearly interchangeable at this early stage...but yea, tracker would seem just a bit better. I'm not entirely sure how the whole system works: if a watcher targets someone who dies that night, do they still get to see who kills them? If so, watcher could conceivably be more useful.

Also, having a strongman is a bit of a new one...would it, therefore, replace the regular scum killer? Judging by just how little people are here, there can't be more than two or three scum total.

Tracker and watcher are nearly interchangeable at this early stage...but yea, tracker would seem just a bit better. I'm not entirely sure how the whole system works: if a watcher targets someone who dies that night, do they still get to see who kills them? If so, watcher could conceivably be more useful.

Also, having a strongman is a bit of a new one...would it, therefore, replace the regular scum killer? Judging by just how little people are here, there can't be more than two or three scum total.

Watcher gets to see who targets the player, tracker gets to see who the player targets. So trackers would target a scumread of theirs, and watchers would target a townread.

Also, if a scum is tracked targeting a player who dies, they could conceivably just claim cop or whatever other PR we choose. But scum who are caught by the watcher have no such alibi because only they could have killed the player.

How would strongman replace the killer? Surely strongman is more of a modifier to the kill to remove the possibility of the kill failing. Scum not having a kill would defeat the whole prospect of strongman.

I'm not going to WIFOM with you about the number of scum, but if I had to guess, I would guess two. Our esteemed host has most probably read the last mafia game and has realised that making a third of the players scum gives scum a huge advantage. So it doesn't make sense for there to be more than two. I do wonder if we have a neutral player though.

I'll concur that cop and tracker are probably put most useful roles for today.

It seems to me that the blocker role will be of little help if the strongman can kill anyways.

I'm quite offended that you think this. I prefer to call it a little idiosyncrasy of mine :wink::tongue:

But seriously, why are your posts in a different font?

I'll concur that cop and tracker are probably put most useful roles for today.

Why tracker and not watcher?

It seems to me that the blocker role will be of little help if the strongman can kill anyways.

Are we sure that the strongman isn't a red herring, as Theodore suggested? It seems to be a bit redundant for the host to mention a scum role which nullifies two town roles, when the whole point is to choose town roles. IMO (if there is a strongman) the host should have either left out the strongman bit or just not included the doctor and blocker roles in the list of choices.

But seriously, why are your posts in a different font?

:laugh: Only my first post was in a different font - when I was quoting the mafiascum page it autocorrected my font and I ended up writing the whole post in the same font as the page. So then I tried to fix it and get it back to normal - but I messed up :tongue: I normally use standard font though.

Why tracker and not Watcher?

With the tracker, you need to target a person you suspect. To use the watcher, you need to watch a potential target. At this point we have reason to suspect others but not real reason to think anyone In particular would be targeted by the scum. So tracker is the best option.

Are we sure that the strongman isn't a red herring, as Theodore suggested? It seems to be a bit redundant for the host to mention a scum role which nullifies two town roles, when the whole point is to choose town roles. IMO (if there is a strongman) the host should have either left out the strongman bit or just not included the doctor and blocker roles in the list of choices.

Are you willing to gamble it's not the case? I'd rather keep this on the table. We have to assume there is a strongman.

:laugh: Only my first post was in a different font - when I was quoting the mafiascum page it autocorrected my font and I ended up writing the whole post in the same font as the page. So then I tried to fix it and get it back to normal - but I messed up :tongue: I normally use standard font though.

This seems to happen to you a lot ... Just saying!

Hey guys! Desiree here!

I agree cop is our best bet for the first PR.

As for the second one, I'd say we pick Doctor. In a game this small, I really doubt there would be a strongman role modifier. With only 9 of us, having a chance to prevent the scum kill could be huge. :look:

Are you willing to gamble it's not the case? I'd rather keep this on the table. We have to assume there is a strongman.

This. I, personally, don't think a strongman would be pointed out unless there was one. I mean, half of us didn't know what a strongman was before this started.

As for the second one, I'd say we pick Doctor. In a game this small, I really doubt there would be a strongman role modifier.

It just feels too weird to not acknowledge it. I know it seems too "red herring", but why else would it be mentioned if it didn't exist?

Has anyone considered role blocker? It could potentially give us more info than tracker/watcher could, if we play it right.

It just feels too weird to not acknowledge it. I know it seems too "red herring", but why else would it be mentioned if it didn't exist?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the role was being quoted verbatim. It's highly unlikely that it would be revealed to us that there is a mafia strongman role. That's not information that is passed on to the town. At the same time, it is viable that such a role would have been given to them in such a game with a small amount of scum.

With that being said, I'd go with the investigator and perhaps the watcher. The protector is a role that to me doesn't seem all that useful. If I'm honest, it just seems to be the type of role that wouldn't be as useful. It's a logical assumption that the scum can kill, since we're given the doctor role and since the premise of the investigation is that there's a killer out there. So, the protector has, at present, eight other people they would be able to protect from a potential scum kill. The odds aren't too good there. I'm under the belief we should go for the more offensive town roles instead of the defensive ones.

The doctor is rarely useful, so I don't vote for that. Cop is a no-brainer. After that, tracker seems best to me, since we can target suspicious people and also verify vanilla claims with it. Watcher is useful, but requires knowing who scum will target, rather than just who looks scummy.

Hey guys! Desiree here!

As for the second one, I'd say we pick Doctor. In a game this small, I really doubt there would be a strongman role modifier. With only 9 of us, having a chance to prevent the scum kill could be huge. :look:

Why doctor?

Who would you protect when we a) can't talk to each other in PM so there's literally no one to trust b) we don't know who the PR will be and c) there's a chance the doctor will not even be able to protect anyone (if the strong arm mention had credence).

With the tracker, you need to target a person you suspect. To use the watcher, you need to watch a potential target. At this point we have reason to suspect others but not real reason to think anyone In particular would be targeted by the scum. So tracker is the best option.

Good point :thumbup:

No, I'm not willing to wager it. I'm just acknowledging that it could be a red herring.

This seems to happen to you a lot ... Just saying!

Am I missing something here? When has this ever happened to me before!?

Hey guys! Desiree here!

Ping.

As Patty said, if there is a strongman then doctor would be useless. Your rush to refute the notion that there is a strongman makes me think that there is one and it's you (or your partner) and you want us to choose a role that will be effectively useless. Th scum will want to choose the power roles that benefit them the most and doctor benefits the scum if there's a strongman.

Has anyone considered role blocker? It could potentially give us more info than tracker/watcher could, if we play it right.

Roleblockers are useless against a strongman. Read the mafiascum role description.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the role was being quoted verbatim. It's highly unlikely that it would be revealed to us that there is a mafia strongman role. That's not information that is passed on to the town. At the same time, it is viable that such a role would have been given to them in such a game with a small amount of scum.

To WIFOM the host, since she's basically told the scum what power roles the town have, wouldn't it be fair to hint to the town what roles the scum have (assuming that strongman is the scum's only role besides the kill). This kind of setup has never been done before, after all.

After that, tracker seems best to me, since we can target suspicious people and also verify vanilla claims with it.

That wouldn't really work as the two PR's are distributed randomly among the town players. Someone could claim vanilla and they are actually vanilla, but then the next night they get an action in the lottery. They're caught using it via tracker and are lynched for it, since they claimed vanilla. :sceptic: Does that make sense?

Why doctor?

Who would you protect when we a) can't talk to each other in PM so there's literally no one to trust b) we don't know who the PR will be and c) there's a chance the doctor will not even be able to protect anyone (if the strong arm mention had credence).

You could put yourself in the scums position and think "Who would I kill if I were scum?" and then protect that person. I still think strongarm role is a red herring. There's no way DD would straight out tell us about one of the scums role modifiers. Seeing some of the arguements against Doctor (such as Bob's offensive vs. defensive roles) are making me reconsider my standpoint. I think Watcher would be the next best bet, if no one else wants to elect Doctor.

That wouldn't really work as the two PR's are distributed randomly among the town players. Someone could claim vanilla and they are actually vanilla, but then the next night they get an action in the lottery. They're caught using it via tracker and are lynched for it, since they claimed vanilla. :sceptic: Does that make sense?

That would apply only to Day One. Today, we're all vanillas (except for the scum) so nobody's gonna claim vanilla. So no, it doesn't really make sense.

You could put yourself in the scums position and think "Who would I kill if I were scum?" and then protect that person. I still think strongarm role is a red herring. There's no way DD would straight out tell us about one of the scums role modifiers. Seeing some of the arguements against Doctor (such as Bob's offensive vs. defensive roles) are making me reconsider my standpoint. I think Watcher would be the next best bet, if no one else wants to elect Doctor.

But surely an informative role is better than one which just essentially plays WIFOM with the scum?

But surely an informative role is better than one which just essentially plays WIFOM with the scum?

Reading through everything again, I suppose you are right. Doctor would be more important in the later stages of the game, but for Day 1 an informative role like tracker/watcher would probably be better.

Reading through everything again, I suppose you are right. Doctor would be more important in the later stages of the game, but for Day 1 an informative role like tracker/watcher would probably be better.

With nine players, how long d'you think this game is gonna last? Three, four days is my guess. 'Later stages of the game' is for elaborate 11-day games a la Ragnarok 3.

Interesting how you quickly change your mind after you get some heat for your decision.

Wouldn't it work as following: two PRs are decided, they are now the town PRs for the rest of the game? Nothing tells me there would be a lottery every day.

Doctor would be useful in the scenario where the Cop finds scum and calls them out, after which they are out in the open, I guess, but it has 1 day at least where it's basically a useless role. (or a 1/7(probably) protect from the scum kill, if you'd like)

Wouldn't it work as following: two PRs are decided, they are now the town PRs for the rest of the game? Nothing tells me there would be a lottery every day.

You think this could be a cosplay Mafia type situation? Interesting, and if so, that'll definitely give us a lot of room to play around with different roles based on suspicion. For today, obviously it's best just to play it safe.

You think this could be a cosplay Mafia type situation? Interesting, and if so, that'll definitely give us a lot of room to play around with different roles based on suspicion. For today, obviously it's best just to play it safe.

I think it could be the opposite. I think we get 1 lottery.

Doctor would be useful in the scenario where the Cop finds scum and calls them out, after which they are out in the open, I guess, but it has 1 day at least where it's basically a useless role. (or a 1/7(probably) protect from the scum kill, if you'd like)

Unless there's a strongman.

Nah, if it were that then the host would surely have clarified?

Ah, this is interesting for a first day. Let's not let this get in the way of thinking we should relax, though. The roles we choose are going to be very important given what's to come.

The strongman is certainly a concern. I'm not sure how big of a concern it should be, though. It could just be mentioned to cause some paranoia (with so little of us this is a very plausible scenario), but at the same time, why would the Gods give a warning of such a thing if it weren't in existence?

Regardless, I would say it's a given that we choose the cop for one of our roles. As for a second role, I'm left unsure. The tracker, as I see it, is more advantageous than the watcher, but then we are left with two information-based roles, which could be very risky given the fact that we'd be without a potential resistance role in a doctor or blocker. I lean towards the doctor right now, because the possibility of a strongman, as we've discussed, is only a possibility. For all we know, there might not even be one.

Also, has anyone else noticed the lack of a vigilante? It seems odd that there wouldn't be one. Is that just because of the low number of us, or could there be a vigilante roaming the camp already?

Hmm. I was thinking we would vote 2 PR's each day and random townies would receive a one-shot of that action that night.

I read up on 9 player setups on the MafiaScum wiki and I doubt there would be a SK or vig. If we figure one is killed each night and one is lynched each day (except for today, of course) the game should last at least to Night 5. If a killer is blocked/target protected/no-lynch happens, we could potentially be looking at 6-7 days. In these later stages Doctor could become a very important role.