[MOD] Cafe corner revisited

18 replies to this topic

#1 dede_la_fee

dede_la_fee

Member: 14683

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Posted Image B-OM-20A

I had recreated a Cafe Corner close to the original one last winter, thanks to a few orders to Bricklink, but I wasn't happy with the interior, so I spruced it up and added a 16x32 baseplate upon which I built a true hotel lobby, but I tried to keep it true to the rest of the CC.

I also printed stickers and cut out an apron for my waitress in a useless Harry Potter cape.

All of it can be seen there; but I'm posting a few pictures here as well to give you a sample of what it looks like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Purists might grimace at all the liberties I took, But I hope others will like it.

Edited by Phred, 01 June 2012 - 03:22 PM.

"normality is overrated"
My Flickr Albums

#2 wooootles

wooootles

Member: 7798

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Pretty good CC version.  This building really deserves that extra 16x32, and it looks very good that way.
My Flickr page--->check it!

BARNES & NOBLE / STARBUCKS STORE - Please support my Cuusoo Project!  Reading (and coffee) is fundamental for minifigs!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Legocrazy81

Legocrazy81

Member: 12542

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

I looked through a few of the photos. You did a great job, really. The additional 16x32 is a nice touch, both inside and out. The interior bits look great, I like the hobby a lot. The outside entrance you put with the red awning and your take on the seating arrangement is good. I like the original red roof better than your grey. I get the switch and the grey is appealing.
Clone Army-120 & counting...

GS Red Squad Relief Fund- Donate today!

#4 dede_la_fee

dede_la_fee

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostLegocrazy81, on 26 May 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

I looked through a few of the photos. You did a great job, really. The additional 16x32 is a nice touch, both inside and out. The interior bits look great, I like the hobby a lot. The outside entrance you put with the red awning and your take on the seating arrangement is good. I like the original red roof better than your grey. I get the switch and the grey is appealing.
I actually decided on the dark grey roof tiles because the dark red would have clashed with the bright red awning, and black tiles are already on quite a lot of my modular buildings.

Edited by dede_la_fee, 27 May 2012 - 04:22 PM.

"normality is overrated"
My Flickr Albums

#5 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa

Member: 14331

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

Looks great. I love all the little details you put into every room of the build. Great idea to add an extra 16x32, it really gave you the room you needed to make it feel like a hotel.

My only suggestion is to put more photos in your first post :grin: At least one overview of each level.

#6 Solscud007

Solscud007

Member: 12637

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Nice. Can we see more pics?

#7 dede_la_fee

dede_la_fee

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

As requested, I'm posting a few more pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
"normality is overrated"
My Flickr Albums

#8 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Wonderfully detailed modified Cafe Corner 'dede_la_fee' and there's nothing wrong with customising minifigs....I do the same. :wink:
I like the tiled floor, a classic art deco pattern. :thumbup:
Excellent job designing the interior and Brick On 'dede_la_fee' ! :classic:

#9 purpleparadox

purpleparadox

Member: 26763

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Is there any way you could post a close-up of the apron you made for the waitress?

Posted Image

#10 slovakiasteph

slovakiasteph

Member: 19109

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postpurpleparadox, on 26 May 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Is there any way you could post a close-up of the apron you made for the waitress?

Click on dede's link to get to the flickr set-- there's a picture there.

Nice work!  I've been adding an interior to my CC as well, but the extension works well here.  I think the dark bley roof works well.

Edited by slovakiasteph, 26 May 2012 - 11:13 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Legogal

Legogal

Member: 23979

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

DeDe,
You are so correct that the ground floor room is too small to do much; I ended up buying two CC's and combining them so there would be room for a larger restaurant, etc.
These are gorgeous buildings, and all of the modulars are wonderful in my book. Congratulations on a fine build!

#12 L@go

L@go

• Awesome Sport!

Member: 9962

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

I prefer the original colours, with the white/yellow awnings and the dark red roof, but if you change the yellow to red it's a logical choice to change the roof as well. Apart from that personal choice on the colours I think you've done a pretty darn good job with this. Adding another 16x32 is a very good idea, and it's amazing to see how much more room you get inside from doing that. The bar and the reception area are my favourite parts of this, but some of your custom stickers are pretty neat too, especially the H with the stars just outside the hotel door. I think I'd maybe have tried not to cram so many rooms into the upper floors, as they end up quite cramped - but still: Great job!

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

flickr

#13 legotrainfan

legotrainfan

Member: 2562

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Great bigger version of Cafe Corner and great interior! I'm wondering why TLC decided to put nothing in there. The rooms look cozy and inviting.
[...]
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 laka

laka

Member: 16223

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

It's a wonderful MOD of the CC, dede la fee. I work in a hotel, so I always like to see how people make the details in Lego. And you have really nice details here. Though I must admit that I wonder how people should get to the second bed in the twin room on the second floor. Climb over the first bed?  :wink:

"Ole Kirk's Café"  :thumbup:
The stud is the heart of LEGO. Fantasy is the soul.
MOCs on Eurobricks: Department Store :: Winter Village Tram Stop

#15 Plauge

Plauge

Member: 28079

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I like the bar-counter you made, I´we been puzzling with something similar (not CC) but I never managed a good solution that did not take to much space.
Posted Image
So much lego.. so little time.

#16 gotoAndLego

gotoAndLego

Member: 8984

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

I like it a lot. I think there is too much dark-bley on top. Maybe make the bits on the flat roof, and the curved slopes above the dormer windows black.
-----
Please support my Lego Cuusoo projects:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

FLICKr

#17 dede_la_fee

dede_la_fee

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

View Postwooootles, on 26 May 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

Pretty good CC version.  This building really deserves that extra 16x32, and it looks very good that way.

View Postdarkdragon, on 26 May 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Looks great. I love all the little details you put into every room of the build. Great idea to add an extra 16x32, it really gave you the room you needed to make it feel like a hotel.
My only suggestion is to put more photos in your first post :grin: At least one overview of each level.

View Postlightningtiger, on 26 May 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

Wonderfully detailed modified Cafe Corner 'dede_la_fee' and there's nothing wrong with customising minifigs....I do the same. :wink:
I like the tiled floor, a classic art deco pattern. :thumbup:
Excellent job designing the interior and Brick On 'dede_la_fee' ! :classic:

View Postslovakiasteph, on 26 May 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Nice work!  I've been adding an interior to my CC as well, but the extension works well here.  I think the dark bley roof works well.

View PostL@go, on 27 May 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

I prefer the original colours, with the white/yellow awnings and the dark red roof, but if you change the yellow to red it's a logical choice to change the roof as well. Apart from that personal choice on the colours I think you've done a pretty darn good job with this. Adding another 16x32 is a very good idea, and it's amazing to see how much more room you get inside from doing that. The bar and the reception area are my favourite parts of this, but some of your custom stickers are pretty neat too, especially the H with the stars just outside the hotel door. I think I'd maybe have tried not to cram so many rooms into the upper floors, as they end up quite cramped - but still: Great job!

Coming from AFOLs so talented, it's very flattering! :blush:

View PostLegogal, on 27 May 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

DeDe,
You are so correct that the ground floor room is too small to do much; I ended up buying two CC's and combining them so there would be room for a larger restaurant, etc.
These are gorgeous buildings, and all of the modulars are wonderful in my book. Congratulations on a fine build!

View Postlegotrainfan, on 27 May 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Great bigger version of Cafe Corner and great interior! I'm wondering why TLC decided to put nothing in there. The rooms look cozy and inviting.

I assume they wanted to let the builders use their imagination...

View Postlaka, on 27 May 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

It's a wonderful MOD of the CC, dede la fee. I work in a hotel, so I always like to see how people make the details in Lego. And you have really nice details here. Though I must admit that I wonder how people should get to the second bed in the twin room on the second floor. Climb over the first bed?  :wink:

"Ole Kirk's Café"  :thumbup:

I actually named my Lego town "Christiansenburg" :wink:, As soon as my man and I are moving to a larger place, big enough so we can dedicate an entire room to our Lego town and trains, I'll also put numbers to the buildings and names to the streets.

We do have a dream: make a section on my website where we can show the "history" of the town, the minifigs building the town from scratch, starting with a small farm, then progressing towards a whole village, then a thriving town, with some of the older building falling into disrepair.... Listen to me, dreaming out loud, we're far from that right now!  

View PostPlauge, on 27 May 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

I like the bar-counter you made, I´we been puzzling with something similar (not CC) but I never managed a good solution that did not take to much space.

I hope mine inspires you to make your own now.

View PostgotoAndLego, on 27 May 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

I like it a lot. I think there is too much dark-bley on top. Maybe make the bits on the flat roof, and the curved slopes above the dormer windows black.

For the roof color, I tried black, but to me it looks sooooooooooooo much better in dark grey, and I'm planning other buildings with dark grey roof, so the MOD CC will blend in just right...

Thank you for your contribution, every one!
"normality is overrated"
My Flickr Albums

#18 laka

laka

Member: 16223

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

View Postdede_la_fee, on 27 May 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

I actually named my Lego town "Christiansenburg" :wink:, As soon as my man and I are moving to a larger place, big enough so we can dedicate an entire room to our Lego town and trains, I'll also put numbers to the buildings and names to the streets.

We do have a dream: make a section on my website where we can show the "history" of the town, the minifigs building the town from scratch, starting with a small farm, then progressing towards a whole village, then a thriving town, with some of the older building falling into disrepair.... Listen to me, dreaming out loud, we're far from that right now!  

Hehehe... "Christiansenburg". What a great tribute to the Lego-family.

I think it sounds really interesting, the project you and your husband have got. I really would like to follow that. I hope you can find a bigger place so soon  :wink:
The stud is the heart of LEGO. Fantasy is the soul.
MOCs on Eurobricks: Department Store :: Winter Village Tram Stop

#19 The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy

Member: 13286

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

What a lovely extension of CC Dede. The interior looks very nice. The grey roof doesn't look out of place. Great effort and very creative
You are never to old for Lego (and never to young to start with it)

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users