13679296694_d79f9c9b1a_z.jpg

It's official - my character is Lord Collis Greenplate, protector of the small Avalonian territory of Iremons along the Mitgardian border.

13678861295_7742bcef8b_z.jpg

"Linda, set patrols through the basements and the tunnels, and Dale, contact the carpenter's guildhall and see what the local chapter would require to hoard our castle. With the those sneaky wretches retaking so much of our country, we must be prepared for their forces to run upon us next."

"Shall I double the guard as well, father?"

13678870255_335642f8b2_z.jpg

Collis glanced at Linda. Although Collis treated her and Dale as his own son and daughter, he and his late wife had never been close... and the people of Iremons had noticed a certain resemblance between the twins and the castle's former steward.

"Gods, no. The garrison already works long enough hours - two weary defenders are easier to take by surprise than one well-rested one. Instead, tell the guards to stay in pairs at all times and equip each one with a horn."

13678937265_01bdc72c75_z.jpg

"Do you think that, with enough preparation, we can make our castle impregnable?" Dale asked. After a moment of thought, the lord answered his steward as he continued the circuit of the curtain wall.

"Son, the purpose of a castle is not to stop an enemy. This is a lesson that all those of noble birth should learn: Whatever its size, garrison or provisions, any fortress can fall to a host with enough power and determination."

~~~

More pics - I took them with a general idea that I could fit some plot to them, but now I don't want to force it.

13679279264_ecc6d8177d_z.jpg

Dale was up to his task - after some haggling, the carpenters set to work on hoardings of Mitgardian lumber along the perimeter of Castle Iremons... all one-and-a-half miles of it. To make it easy for them, I included the notches in the masonry where they can insert the posts (based loosely on a real castle feature... although I have a strange mix of machicolations and traditional battlements here).

13678952933_228f8ff5a2_z.jpg

13679264934_b03535ac52_z.jpg

The perimeter walls of Lord Greenplate's castle are built in a like manner to common retaining walls, rising dozens of feet from steep mountain sides and encircling the more gently-sloped area at the top. I came up with this feature because I realized that I didn't have the parts to build a wall of respectable height from base to battlements, so I decided to throw some landscaping up on top... which was not my smartest move, I'm afraid.

13678924655_86a158db3b_z.jpg

13678937265_01bdc72c75_z.jpg

13679290264_415d44e13b_z.jpg

13679301824_e96fe48ac1_z.jpg

13682466383_0599486f88_z.jpg

In case you were wondering, that's how that tricky curve works.

Finally, I would like to claim UoP credit for the following:

Architecture -

+ Wall Technique - SNOTed tile stonework

+ Round Walls and Towers

+ Advanced SNOT (believe me, it was a pain to get it right)

Military Science -

+ Fortifications

Edited by Gilbert Despathens

That's a gorgeous curve there! I really like how the plates look like bricks in the wall.

Very nice wall technique, I'm still struggling to understand how those sections of the outer layer of the wall are attached :classic:

UoP +1 for all four claims.

Regarding the photography, I think you should have included one picture showing the whole build without cropping any parts of the build. I also think some more light would not have hurt.

Great work and great story here! Specially like the notches for the outer wooden structure.

+1 for DoH on all claims

+1 All claims and I would give +2 for that wonderwall if I could! What is holding the vertical blue bricks in place? You wait for months for a plate and tile wall, and then 2 come on the same day! Great build, very good story, and really nice photography Gilbert, what a way to start! You seem to have enough tan bricks to emigrate to Kaliphlin, you know....

Very nice wall technique, I'm still struggling to understand how those sections of the outer layer of the wall are attached :classic:

UoP +1 for all four claims.

Regarding the photography, I think you should have included one picture showing the whole build without cropping any parts of the build. I also think some more light would not have hurt.

Thank you! I'll definitely adjust my lighting rig, and I'll try and get some better technical pictures when I take the MOC apart.

+1 All claims and I would give +2 for that wonderwall if I could! What is holding the vertical blue bricks in place? You wait for months for a plate and tile wall, and then 2 come on the same day! Great build, very good story, and really nice photography Gilbert, what a way to start! You seem to have enough tan bricks to emigrate to Kaliphlin, you know....

Ha ha, I did consider joining Kaliphlin for the tan, but Valyrio would be my best overall fit and Avalonia has some great national colors. Thanks for the credits and the positive feedback. Now I'll have to go find that other SNOT curve...

Definetely a great way to start you GoH experience. Nice tower and story!

Amazing approach to a tower design! Cool way to build the scaffolding as well. Simply stunning work. :wub::thumbup:

Well, that's a nice first GoH build from you. :thumbup:

The wall technique is fabulous, I'll have to try it myself some day.

Wow, that wall is fantastic! Great job incorporating those windows too! I'd give you a plus one but you've already got enough!

Great build Gilbert! That wall looks really great :thumbup:. How long did it take to make that curved wall?

With the blue 1x2 bricks standing on end and not connected to anything, are those sections able to be pulled out of the structure? Do you know what I mean? Can't wait to check out your index!

Cracking first GoH build Gilbert, so much to enjoy and pore over. That wall technique is quite ingenious, although i can certainly believe it would be a pain to build. :wink: I like the post holes on the battlements too, and enjoyed seeing the transition from bare to covered. So this is your outer perimeter wall for the castle, right? I'd love to see a microscale rendition of the whole castle complex, just to see what it all looks like! :sweet:

Sweet wall shape/texture :wub: Those windows are very clever as well :thumbup: I've thought about leaving holes for hoarding supports in some of my castles, but never actually did it. Your version looks great :classic:

Really nice SNOT work here. I love the concept of the re-enforcmening of the tower with beams and a walkway, very cool. :thumbup: