Sign in to follow this  
Walter Kovacs

UCS Scale TIE Drone

indexed.gif

This is another in my series of UCS TIE alternates, this time the TIE Drone. I first saw this TIE as part of the TIE Collection set, and I found it's shape oddly appealing.

As far as the design timeline goes, this model lies somewhere between my TIE Avenger and Scimitar Bomber (real brick version coming soon) models. So you should see some improvement over the earliest designs (TIE Bomber), but not nearly as polished as my latest models (TIE Shadow). I will refrain from adding my own commentary this time, as it seems to have killed my previous topic :cry_sad:

TIE Drone:

adrone.jpg

The overall shape of the TIE Drone is very simple, relatively speaking. Pretty traditional cockpit ball, standard pylons. The angle of the wings is unique, as is the band across the front of the cockpit. The wings are also very squared off, as this side view shows.

drone_close.jpg

I wanted to give a good shot of the front of the model, minus the wings. Most of the detail is on the front, so I removed the wings to eliminate the shadowing that the wings tended to create.

drone_back.jpg

In case anyone had any doubts, the back of this model was very much inspired by Reto Geiger's excellent (awe inspiring, phenomenal, etc.) TIE Fighter model. I tried to emulate it as best as I could.

drone_cockpit.jpg

The interior of the cockpit is changed a litle bit from my original design. I made the drone itself much smaller (which you can barely see now), and added some hoses to enhance the mechanical feel. In my mind, the printed tiles on the sides of the cockpit are for maintenance purposes (though would the empire really waste time on maintenance?). The tiles on the drone's stand are to give it that WOPR feel (Shall..we..play..a..game?) :classic:

As always, Comments and Criticisms are most welcome. Sometime next week, I should have my Predator Starfighter built and photographed.

The gallery, with lots more pictures, can be found here.

Edited by KimT

Another great addition to the TIE family Walter, good work!

I first saw the TIE/D in 'Dark Empire' and I really like design and the concept behind them. They were mass produced and dispensed mid-battle by the titanic World Devastators with the plan to overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers. Course the Empire ultimately failed with that endeavour... :laugh:

The shape of the wing panels and the cockpit are very distinctive and you've matched them brilliantly. Your greebling is spot-on again and I like the rear of the craft - although it may be better to have a porthole in the centre like the standard TIEs. I think the droid compartment is a little messy with all the tubes all over the place... I would've built something more symmetrical, but that's creative license for you :wink:

ONCE again another AMAZING TIE :wub:

thats all I can say because its so Nice-Beautiful :wub: must have one...must :laugh: also I thinks its better then Lego's version :wink::sweet:

no offence Lego :cry_sad:

CommanderFox

P.S.

anyone noticing this is my second to last post being a Vassal :grin: Im on 99 posts YAY!!! wait do you become a Citizen after 100 posts?

Edited by CommanderFox

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The shape of the wing panels and the cockpit are very distinctive and you've matched them brilliantly. Your greebling is spot-on again and I like the rear of the craft - although it may be better to have a porthole in the centre like the standard TIEs. I think the droid compartment is a little messy with all the tubes all over the place... I would've built something more symmetrical, but that's creative license for you :wink:

The back of the cockpit wall is made out of panels, so it would be easy to change them to a trans-black instead of light grey color. But I went with grey because I tohought it more likely that the drone flies by sensors, and has no real need for visual confirmation. The windows would be superfluous, and a totally unnecessary expense (that is, if transsteel cost more than whatever the rest of the hull is made out of).

As for the cockpit interior, the original design was much more spartan, with a full sized droid. I changed it during the build, feeling the droid should be much smaller, and adding a little sci-fi, mechanical detailing. It took me all of one minute to come up with what I photographed. Given a little more time and thought, I could have made something more organized, but I was eager to finish the build *shrug* Sometimes messy works out OK, though I agree it could use a little less clutter.