• Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

7676: Republic Attack Gunship

Number of Pieces: 1034

Number of Minifigs: 5

Price: 119.99 USD

Brickset

Hey everyone, I just got the RGS yesterday at TRU after I came home from camp. I saw all of the topics that I missed, and noticed a mini-review and a review with one pic, so I thought I'd make a huge, shiny new review that has lots of pictures and all of the requirements of KimT's index. NOTE: I did not apply any stickers to it, as a personal liking.

So, lets start by looking at the box:

2711924943_5ef2c8f60f_o.jpg

A shiny, clean, and futuristic box, quite different from the other Star Wars box designs before this. There was so much Clone Wars merchandise with this font and design in the huge display at the front of my local Toys r Us store, and not just LEGO. It so beautiful, with the white and sky blue... anyways, for some reason, the boxes of the new Clone Wars sets seemed more shiny than usual. Maybe it's because they were just shipped, but once you pick up the boxes, they will feel really good in your hands, despite the fact that only about half of the space in the boxes are used...

The back of the box:

2712736776_27ab8f69f5_o.jpg

The back shows all of the main features of the set, plus pictures of the three other Clone Wars sets meant to be released alongside this one (although I did spot the Twilight and Homing Spider Droid, which were supposed to be released in September or October).

So, on to the Gunship:

2857566761_1896427db9_o.jpg

Built straight from the bags. It took me about 4 1/2 hours, with breaks. It has an overall great design, but somewhat fragile, especially when building it. The cockpits always fall apart when opened, as well as the bubbles on the wings (which I will get into more later). The color scheme is very well done. You can always find the piece you're looking for thanks to the color diversity: Red, Dark Red, Lime Green (ooh!), Blue, Black, Tan, Light Bley, Dark Grey, Yellow and White. Also, split down the middle vertically, the ship is almost all symmetrical.

Front:

2712737440_163b1f9ce0_o.jpg

Side:

2711926407_b457e1767e_o.jpg

Now, lets start with the many features that this set is hiding.

The front has lots of lime green, a rare color. But more importantly:

2711926805_20c9e4fdbf_o.jpg

...a rotating gun is found on each side. They rotate in a pretty wide range, although fragile.

Cockpits:

2711927225_e4b61079e0_o.jpg

There are two main cockpits, right next to each other. Not very detailed, and are the same. And for some reason, the whole cockpit element flips up to reveal:

2712738798_68b270c49c_o.jpg

...nothing. Just the skeleton of the ship.

Probe droid storage:

2711927775_5b5ee6c217_o.jpg

Above the cockpit lies a plate that can be flipped up to reveal a storage area that holds:

2712739244_717fb9e212_o.jpg

Two of these probe droids. At least, that's what I think they are.

Hull:

2712739502_0e35cb1455_o.jpg

In this pic, two features are hidden.

Mobile Command Center:

2711928395_44a6e8dd27_o.jpg

The first of the two is a Mobile Command Center, but essentially just a hover chair. It is found by flipping up the two panels on either side of the hull.

Bacta Tank:

2711928591_f6a739b289_o.jpg

The second is the bacta tank found by just sliding it out of the storage area behind the MCC. One half of the tank opens:

2711928829_d08e640b92_o.jpg

...so a minifigure can go inside and heal his/her wounds obtained in battle.

Cargo hold:

2712740520_dbd1bf038a_o.jpg

Now, this is probably the main feature for this set. The two sliding doors (two on each side) slide open thanks to a clever Technic mechanism. Not much in here, just a gun holder and a place where the passengers wait to be dropped off in battle.

Speeder Bike:

2712740794_cc150d5d78_o.jpg

I guess you guys saw it, the speeder bike. It is found by opening the rear flap. The bike is very cleverly designed by using a brown trike body. It's only a few centimeters shorter than the bike found in the Clone Battle Pack.

Rear gun:

2711929681_bd42938a2d_o.jpg

Just a gun similar to the front ones.

Engines:

2712741326_c4704ef05d_o.jpg

Huge engines (or are they cannons?) that are really fun to build. They really give that cartoon feel to this set.

Missiles:

2712741690_a1b2956279_o.jpg

In between the engines are two sets of four flick-fire missiles.

Bubble cockpits:

2711930597_1f1dfed5e4_o.jpg

There is one bubble cockpit on each wing that supposedly control the turrets at the front. Very fragile.

Storage containers:

2712742166_5148433a88_o.jpg

Two storage containers on each side hold the clone accessories. But, I wouldn't recommend putting them in there, because the antennae can fall out, or you might forget about them.

Sticker Sheet:

2711931179_11ff4a5ea6_o.jpg

The Dreaded Sticker Sheet (DSS) has all of the stickers you need for this set. Unfortunately, mine was crunched up. I don't like stickers much anyways, but I might still apply some. Note the Republic symbol stickers, why couldn't TLG just use that printed piece from a few years back? Also, you get to choose between a bird-rat thing or a sleeping Twi'elk as your hull decal. What they're for, I don't know, looks like the movie or show will explain it though.

Minifigs:

2712742736_ddef80a33b_o.jpg

Finally, the five minifigs of this set. They are all great figs, including:

Commander Cody: Amazing, especially with the gear. The orange is nice, but I thought he was yellow.

Clone Trooper: Again, amazing. The gear is great, and the new helmet and torso are great! All of the clones in the Clone Wars line have the same heads. Also, you can see the flesh beneath the helmet.

Asaaj Ventress: Not so happy about this one. The torso and dark blue legs are cool, but the dress is pretty ugly. The head is alright, but could do without the cartoon-y face (yeah I know, its from a cartoon). Also has purple markings on back of head.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Pretty cool, besides the face. Cool hair and torso, though.

Plo Koon: Beautiful! The true gem of this set, in my opinion. The head is the same material as Kit Fisto's. And the tosro is awesome, good for making a custom Ki-Adi Mundi.

Well, that's about it, here is the...

FINAL VERDICT:

Build: 8/10, very fun and easy, should take the seasoned builder about 4 hours. Somewhat fragile.

Playability: 9.5/10, Lots of fun features, although some can break easily.

Swooshability: 3/10, I wouldn't recommend flying it around much, as you can barely pick it up safely. But with two hands gripping the bottom firmly, it can be moved around, but not spun or swooshed, etc.

Minifigs: 8/10, all very great figs, especially Plo Koon, but could have included more clone troopers.

Design: 7.5/10, some excellent ideas included in here, although some spots are very fragile.

Price: 7/10: Should have been only 100 USD if not for the new molds. Plus, at TRU, it was 130 USD.

Overall score: 8.5/10, a great set to have for your star wars/ clone wars collection, with some flaws. Save up for this one.

So, how did you like my review? Your feedback is much appreciated! JimButcher, out.

Edited by JimButcher
indexed

Hey everyone, I just got the RGS yesterday at TRU after I came home from camp. I saw all of the topics that I missed, and noticed a mini-review and a review with one pic, so I thought I'd make a huge, shiny new review that has lots of pictures and all of the requirements of KimT's index. I'm about halfway through building it, so expect the full review tomorrow. Hoope you guys will like it!

Mabye you shouldnt reserve threads and actually wait till your done. The threads wont run off I assure you! :tongue:

Hey everyone, I just got the RGS yesterday at TRU after I came home from camp. I saw all of the topics that I missed, and noticed a mini-review and a review with one pic, so I thought I'd make a huge, shiny new review that has lots of pictures and all of the requirements of KimT's index. I'm about halfway through building it, so expect the full review tomorrow. Hoope you guys will like it!

Yes! :cry_happy: Please make one! We need a quality review of it! :thumbup: And don't forget to clear up the mystery of the rear hatch for us! :wink:

Okay, if this were the first review of the set, I'd understand your want to reserve a thread for your review, but seriously, there are already reviews out there. Couldn't you have just waited at least until you had actually built the thing, or even better, until the review was actually done?

Sorry if I'm being to harsh but I'm quite sick of these "Blablabla Set Review - Will be up soon...". It's getting quite annoying. :sadnew:

~Peace

Thank you Oky Wan, and apologies to the rest of you guys, I guess I was rushing a bit and didn't think this through, it was wrong of me to reserve a review, if someone does an in-depth review before me, someone please close this topic. Otherwise, I guess I will do it. Again, many apologies for opening this topic before I actually had a review, bad example from me, very sorry! :sadnew:

Thank you Oky Wan, and apologies to the rest of you guys, I guess I was rushing a bit and didn't think this through, it was wrong of me to reserve a review, if someone does an in-depth review before me, someone please close this topic. Otherwise, I guess I will do it. Again, many apologies for opening this topic before I actually had a review, bad example from me, very sorry! :sadnew:

Its ok, Just remember you dont have to reserve them! :thumbup:

the cockpit piece doesnt hold well when you try to "swing-it-open"

most of the time it just pops off

Hey guys, the full review is up, check it out! :sweet: I guess its a little late, but, WARNING: PICTURE HEAVY.

Good... but you said that you thought that Cody was orange, but he turned out to be orange?

Heh, I caught that too. :laugh:

On Topic: Nice review, JimButcher! Can't wait to get my hands on one!

DSR

Very good review! I just checked my Ep. II vehicle encyclopedia (YES, I'm a total SW geek) and TLG got it pretty accurately with the RGS. :thumbup:

I really like the new Gunship. Different enough from the old one to be better, but similar enough that they don't look totally weird together. Really like the new minifigs. Didn't think I would like the new Clone Troopers at all. The accessories are fine. I would never use them on the regular clones, but to each their own.

I really like the new Gunship. Different enough from the old one to be better, but similar enough that they don't look totally weird together. Really like the new minifigs. Didn't think I would like the new Clone Troopers at all. The accessories are fine. I would never use them on the regular clones, but to each their own.

everything is perfect except the rear of troop cabin .... seems so flimsy with only 2 2x1 white brick holding everything together ....

2712742736_ddef80a33b_o.2008729161524.jpg

What's this thing on the clone at right ?? :look:

thats the flashlight ....

watch the clone wars trailer and ull know ....

theres a scene where the clones enter a dark cave with a metal door like jabba's palace in the movies

Thanks for the review JimButcher :thumbup: . I really like this new gunship but I can´t own one until like two or three months and this is with all the clone wars sets :cry_sad::cry_sad: .

Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys! I meant yellow for cody's color. :laugh:

JimButcher, finally I had seen something that is worth reading and viewing. IMHO, this is your best Star Wars Review I had ever read. Most importantly, it is a complete review which has substance. You have my thanks! Keep up the good job :thumbup:

Back to the RGS, this is the next Star Wars set I will be getting. I can't wait to lay my hands on this set, and start building. Basically, how bad this set can be, it can't be worse. Republic Gunship is one of the all-time favourites, in Star Wars Prequel and OT. I can't find any faults, except being too expensive due to the licence cost. In addition, the mini-figs are the next big thing. Seriously, I am quite impressed with it. On the down side, my rating will go up if there is an additional Clone Trooper instead of one.

Nevertheless, this is a "MUST GET" set, no matter what! :wub:

JimButcher, finally I had seen something that is worth reading and viewing. IMHO, this is your best Star Wars Review I had ever read. Most importantly, it is a complete review which has substance. You have my thanks! Keep up the good job :thumbup:

Wow, that means a ton, WhiteFang! :blush: Thanks a bunch! And I agree, you should try to get this one ASAP, you won't regret it. I personally don't think it's overpriced, the new molds give it a higher price, considering 1 old mold ( :laugh:) is worth 10 cents. :classic:

Thanks for the review. i havent seen any other clone flashligh pics, so thanks for that one

"Starting tonight, people will die... I'm a man of my word."

jifel