Sign in to follow this  
Jonas

MOC: Emperor's Tower

indexed.gif

Hi, EB fellows.

My new MOC is a model of a real look-out tower that once stood in Breslau (now Wroclaw in Poland). The tower's unique design was created by German architect Karl Klimm. The tower was built in 1902 and was named Emperor Wilhelm's Memorial Tower. It had 4 observation platforms at different heights and it measured 47 m. In my opinion, it was the most wonderful look-out tower worldwide. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during the WWII battle of Breslau in 1945 and it does not exist anymore.

When building the MOC I used a series of historic postcards from my collection and also a project sketches by K. Klimm. The MOC is 65 cm high and contains some 6000 Lego pieces.

Pictures:

Model and historic picture postcard

emperortower-03.jpgemperortower-01-real1910.jpg

Model from different views

emperortower-05.jpgemperortower-09.jpg

emperortower-17.jpgemperortower-14.jpg

emperortower-12.jpg

emperortower-20.jpg

Evening view from the tower

emperortower-view.jpg

More pictures:

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacvud/with/5439315032/

Brickshelf http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=461673

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Wow! Really amazing! :thumbup: You did a very good job capturing the looks and details of the original here.

Wow, well done on reimagining this Tower so well in LEGO form. It looks marvelous. The stain glass windows, the red stone work, the arches, it all works so well.

Very elegant creation Jonas! I simply love the SNOT finish of this tower, and of course the highly-accurate design, details, and color scheme. Great job too on the outside photography! :thumbup:

Okay, so I'll put this is the TOTALLY AWESOME area :grin: , such detail done given the limits Lego parts bring at times......I really like the windows - mega SNOT tech there ! :grin:

Great photography as well, is there any interior to this wonderful tower ?

Anyway, excellent work 'Jonas' and Brick On ! :grin:

Wow!

Stunning MOC! You were truly able to able to transform that image into an actual LEGO model!

You did a particularly good job with the balconies and the windows. And I love how you made sure to use rounded corners so it would more accurately match the postcard.

Excellent job! :thumbup:

Very accurate recreation, I must say. It really is a cry and shame that such a beautiful building was destroyed.

Fantastic! I wish the tower would still be there. Its truly a shame at such a wonderful tower was destroyed. But the MOC itself bring its somewhat back to life.

It looks fantastic, the details and the SNOT technique and the details are very nicely done. Great work whit this. I truly think at this MOC brings the tower back to life.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

What an amaizing creation! I can't gert over the details. You really made it look like the real thing :thumbup:.

Its a shame that such a beautiful and unique building was destroyed :sceptic:

Thank you all for the positive responses.

Well, it seems that not only me regret the sad fate of that beuatiful tower. Towers, particularly look-out towers, are my long-term hobby. I have visited hundreds of them and actually I have written several books about them.

The Emperor's Tower near Wroclaw (Breslau) is not the only one that was damaged during the WWII but it was definitely the most wonderful and most amazing one.

By the way, three years ago I built another nice look-out tower with a restaurant. It was before I joined EB. Here is its picture:

hradek-01m.jpghradek-02m.jpg

More pictures on BS: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=332473

Both your towers look really amazing and it's stunning how you managed to make them look almost exactly like their original counterparts. The second tower looks surprisingly familiar, so I wondered if this, by any chance, could be the renovated tower on top of the Hrádek near Varnsdorf?

The second tower looks surprisingly familiar, so I wondered if this, by any chance, could be the renovated tower on top of the Hrádek near Varnsdorf?

You got it! It is Hrádek near Varnsdorf. I made the model as a tribute to the successfully finished renovation. You must live nearby, mustn't you?

You got it! It is Hrádek near Varnsdorf. I made the model as a tribute to the successfully finished renovation. You must live nearby, mustn't you?

Yes, I'd only need to drive about 20km to the southeast to get to the tower. But despite living so close by, I've only seen it from afar until now and didn't actually visit it.

I saw that one MOC on Bricself once, and i dropped of my chair. Thats excactly the house wwere i would want to live at. Both of your MOC`s are fabolous :wub:

Captain Becker

Beautiful buildings. Too bad indeed that the tower was destroyed. Are there any ruins left that you can visit?

Anyway, your MOC is great, and with the real background it's almost like it's been rebuilt.

And the evening view is wonderful :wub:

Wow... beautiful buildings. :wub: I'm loving the angles on the yellow tower!

Again, impressive too. Natural talent for tower building... I must learn a lot :classic:

My first post... I registered just to post on this topic...

Being from Wroclaw (born and lived here all my life) I had no idea about that tower. It was even hard to find information about it AFTER I saw it here. (finally found: http://wroclaw.hydral.com.pl/test.php?obiekt=000102). How did you learn about it?

Amazing work, by the way. I hope I'll be able to build something as beautiful one day :)

By the way, there's another tower by the same architect in Wroclaw, and it survived the war intact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wroc%C5%82aw_water_tower

Anyone up to the challenge? :grin:

Edited by stelek