Port Adelphus is located just off the coast of Avalonia, just north of the Kaliphlin border. While the island itself is Avalonia territory, half of Port Adelphus is Kaliphlin's jurisdiction. This port serves as perhaps the largest point of trade between the two Guilds with extremely large transactions taking place there every day.

port_adelphus_lr.jpg

The harbor is always filled with ships, and the streets and docks are always bustling with activity

port_adelphus_street_length_lr.jpg

The Streets of the Port are traversed by denizens from across the Guilds, and represent a diverse section of Historica

port_adelphus_avalonian_cog_lr.jpg

You can usually find at least one ship in port from each of the four main Guilds, with an occasional Valyrian vessel as well. Avalonian vessels are among the most common sights.

port_adelphus_cog_dock_lr.jpg

A small ship out of unknown origin shares this dock with a large Avalonian Cog. Not all vessels fly the colors of the Guilds. Some are at home at sea, while other have less lawful intentions.

port_adelphus_elven_vessel_lr.jpg

Elven vessels are a much less frequent site in Port. The great white ships of the Avalonian Elves almost seem to float on top of the water.

port_adelphus_gabe_lr.jpg

The Elves of the Rustling Leaves Clan appear to have business with one of the Kaliphlin nobles in port. Notable Guild members are frequently seen in Port Adelphus, as is evident this day.

port_adelphus_kaliphlin_longship_lr.jpg

At another dock, a Kaliphlin Longship is docked with some smaller vessels. The Gorilla tribes of Kaliphlin are sighted at the Ports and Harbors throughout Historica more than they are within the Guild of Kaliphlin itself.

port_adelphus_longship_dock_lr.jpg

The docks of Port Adelphus are most often packed with ships as they are today. The daily visitors to the Port can usually make do with just a corner of dock to unload.

port_adelphus_fishing_sloop_lr.jpg

These local fisherman have taken advantage of the gap between ships to arrange for the sale of their early morning catch.

port_adelphus_inn_lr.jpg

The dockside inn caters to the many travelers that need lodging, and many important dealings take place both within and on the streets outside.

port_adelphus_masa_lr.jpg

Kaliphlin merchants excel at drawing in customers, and will often prevail on more wealthy passers by to sample their wares in hopes of making a sale, such as at this Wine pavilion.

port_adelphus_eagle_outpost_lr.jpg

The Eagle clans have a permanent presence in Port Adelphus. The co-ownership of the Port has prevented any of the skirmishes or wars that plauge the mainland from reaching it, and has made this a desirable location for the clans. They are also located above the Customs office, whose own officers inadvertently provide protection for the Eagles.

port_adelphus_ship_builders_lr.jpg

The island does not provide enough lumber to support a major shipyard, but these two brothers went into ship building, and have never wanted for work. There is always a need to build more small shipping vessels for the local fisherman.

port_adelphus_fish_monger_lr.jpg

This fish monger is located above a shipping warehouse, and the height allows him to spy the returning fisherman, and be first in line to purchase their wares.

harbor_-_performers_and_intersection.jpg

Both the Kaliphlins and Avalonians have proved to more appreciative of the arts than the other Guilds, and so it is never hard to find street performers about.

port_adelphus_side_view_lr.jpg

The port is a thriving City, and is a major destination for Captains from across Historica.

So goes the old saying. "Find a Kaliphlin merchant and he'll find whatever you need. And two things you don't need."

This was my Brickworld build and I just finally got to posting it. Thanks to Gideon and Hinkley for providing the high rez pictures that are here for me. All higher resolution pictures can be found here:

https://www.flickr.c...s/29025875@N06/

I had built these ships with GNAR in mind, but decided to hold off on them for this build.

Comments and critiques are welcome!

Wow. That overview shot is amazing, as are so many of the little details within. The white ship sticks out and looks really great in the overview.

Very nice port, rogue, excellent job with the ships and the inclusion of the sigfigs :thumbup: (do I spot Cecil B. Prosperous there? :laugh:)

The buildings are also great, especially the inn and kaliphlin merchants shop :classic:

The white ship is great, especially like the shaping on the roof, :thumbup: The shipyard area is well done, as are the other buildings along the wall!

Very nice port, Rogue Angel!

The different types of ships make this seem more realistic, and each is very nice. The white elven ship stands out the most, but I also always love seeing medieval cogs. The port is great as well, with great techniques for the docks, stone walkway, and buildings' walls and roofs. I like that portcullis and the wall! It is always nice to see large, bustling layouts with so much minifigure life!

Outstanding scene here. So much going on that it totally fits the notion of a microcosm of Historia and Avalonia.

Fantastic build Rogue! The buildings, the ships, the minifig placement, the vivid look of the build are just awesome.

Well done!

Very nice build! I wish I had the parts and talent to make something as spectacular as this! :thumbup:

This is amazing, only one thing about the description bothers me;

Elven vessels are a much less frequent site in Port. The great white ships of the Avalonian Elves almost seem to float on top of the water.

All boats do that, it's kind of the point.

Aside from that, great work!

@ Lord Duvors

It seems to me he means that the bottom of the ship is nearly on the top of the water. All ships have a draft, or depth that the boat hull sinks beneath the surface (with the waterline still below the top of the edges of the hull) until the buoyant force from the water displaced is great enough to float the ship, so they do not float with the very bottom of the hull on the very top of the water.

Slegengr has it right. Typically you will have a decent draft or a very wide hull on a ship to keep it from tipping. The Elven ships appear to have almost no draft at all, which you would think would allow the ship to capsize in any decent swell. This does not seem to be the case though. The difference is something a mariner would pick up on, but not a drylander.

Slegengr has it right. Typically you will have a decent draft or a very wide hull on a ship to keep it from tipping. The Elven ships appear to have almost no draft at all, which you would think would allow the ship to capsize in any decent swell. This does not seem to be the case though. The difference is something a mariner would pick up on, but not a drylander.

Ah, I see, I presume that elven ships have boards sticking out from the underside to compensate? The Chinese used a similar technique in the construction of large ships.

Dang! This is massive! Love the elven ship! The cobblestone is great, and I love the way the port is angled from the base!

This build has a very lively feel to it, a busy port with alot of people working... You capured it perfectly! I love the elven boat!

Fantastic build!The ships are amazing, I love how they are all so diverse.Each one is unique and yet still well detailed. I also really the port, with all its many different shops and the hustle and bustle of a busy trading center :)

Ah, I see, I presume that elven ships have boards sticking out from the underside to compensate? The Chinese used a similar technique in the construction of large ships.

Ummmm Things that elves make are MAGIC.

Fantastic harbor scene Rogue! The ships are awesome, the buildings are great, all the little things going on are sweet details. The cobblestone effect with the combination of round tiles and exposed studs of the substrate is freaking my eyes out though. :wacko:

All boats do that, it's kind of the point.

Though I understood what Rogue was trying to get across, I had exactly the same thought. :laugh: I wouldn't put it past some of the dwarves to try to float a submarine under the surface though!

This looked even better in person! I'm glad you were finally able to post it!

Wow! This is great! The first picture really does a great job conveying how massive this is! Excellent job!