I am thrilled to know that my entry to the Ani-Com & Games Hong Kong 2015 LEGO Competition was shortlisted! This year, the topic is "Ideal Home (Interior Design)" (weird title with the confusing brackets, I know!), and since I like building houses, I thought I might give it a try this year. The show ended two days ago and while my submission did not get into the top three, I still got 4th in the judge scoring and I am already happy to be on the stage this year with the other awesome builders!

My build is called "S Villa" (previously named Box iN during submission), which is my dream home in the brick city. The design is based on the concept of a garden. To me, home should be a place separated from the hustle and bustle of the city. Instead of being trapped inside another building, the occupants probably want to have their own personal outdoor space, meaning a garden. Therefore, the concept is a central garden with rooms arranged around it.

19746870880_9ae4f01871_c.jpg

19312255184_53612604f4_c.jpg

Above is the program of the house, with different rooms arranged around the garden. Here is the final look of it, showing its front facade:

19746874090_076336a78d_c.jpg

19312259554_023e21acb8_c.jpg

The center garden is here, with some pebbles forming a loop path:

19746874450_8e4947bdfc_c.jpg

The arrangement of rooms start from the living room, which is directly facing the garden. It is first place I enter when I arrive home, and I want this to be a relaxing place without TV to distract me.

19934892265_c036e5d0b1_c.jpg

19746875080_1bf7d68b7b_c.jpg

Further in is the kitchen and dining area, the latter which extends out to share the same garden view:

19908659206_3b08df1ac9_c.jpg

19927292002_fd6fde7946_c.jpg

The opposite side of dining room is the corridor leading to guest toilets and back door, where you can reach the garage. The staircase forms right above the main entrance, and I refuse to use a stacking type of staircase so that the staircase is like a room itself, creating a middle platform as a buffer to the upper private rooms.

19748212819_279b778967_c.jpg

The black box, which is my studio, is located at the first stop of the staircase. Inside there are my desk and personal theater. Now this is the place I enjoy TV shows and movies.

19908660486_93998e1ff6_c.jpg

19939999761_ee361b2fc0_c.jpg

Going further up is the bedroom and lavatory. If you see closely, you will see I put the rooms that require quiet space, ie dining room and bedroom, away from the street, using the staircase circulation as the buffer separation to kill any noise from outside.

19313914453_7706e5b183_c.jpg

19312257434_6f458efd3a_c.jpg

The bedroom is a simple one, with an extended balcony next to it. My concept of monochrome design comes from the idea that a building can be simple and neutral-colored so that people focus on its form and shapes. All the colors then come from the inside, where people live, because life is colorful. Without us, there can be no color. We, are the colors.

19312256754_e65174e057_c.jpg

19748212189_a94c81f975_c.jpg

The space underneath the black box is recessed in as a garage. I also made a little extention behind it to put the tools for the garage.

19934889905_5543423f87_c.jpg

S Villa is the house for me and my wife, and the name contains the first letters of our names. Originally it was named "Box iN" during the submission since the idea is about the inner garden. With this design, I hope to inspire people that a house can be simple in geometry, and also functional in use. Hope you enjoy this building and its architectural concepts!

More photos at:

Edited by niteangel

Another very nice modern design! I like it alot and feel kinda tempted to build a modern architecture modular now. :)

Just wow. Now I am looking at my current house build and thinking I need to start again. Brilliant, thanks for sharing it us.

Everything here is awesome. I'm looking forward to more builds of yours in the future.

i think the jury accidentally put yours on 4th instead of first. (No offence to the top 3 build designers.) it is definitely one of the best LEGO houses i have ever seen! very modern and i would love to see houses like this in real life (if they aren't build already). where did you get your inspiration from? i mean not the idea of your design but the output with the black garage? that hangs above the parking spot.

Love the modern exterior, but it's the interior that steals the show. I especially like the interior garden and the kitchen.

Thanks everyone for the support and love! It is amazing to see people being inspired by my work, whether they are interested in (modern) architecture or not.

i think the jury accidentally put yours on 4th instead of first. (No offence to the top 3 build designers.) it is definitely one of the best LEGO houses i have ever seen! very modern and i would love to see houses like this in real life (if they aren't build already). where did you get your inspiration from? i mean not the idea of your design but the output with the black garage? that hangs above the parking spot.

Thanks! Much of my inspiration comes from the modern houses done in Japan and Europe, and online sources like ArchDaily and Dezeen are good. For the black box and the garage underneath, it is more like an experiment during my design process. I recessed walls and spaces to re-create other spaces for different functions.

Love the modern exterior, but it's the interior that steals the show. I especially like the interior garden and the kitchen.

Thanks, that is exactly what the model is trying to say!