Hi all,

I would like to present my WIP of my entry for the MINI contest. The model is an aircraft loosly based on the iconic Cessna 172.

It has two functions: working ailerons controlled by the stick and a one-cylinder fake engine.

Other nice features are the micro seat and a bunch of recent new parts.

2kq7u1.jpg

351waip.jpg

29xtgy.jpg

As said, it is a work in progress, I'm still working on the following points:

- Less dense structure without compromising the rigidity

- Reduce the part count (205 pieces at the moment)

- Find a nice colour scheme which can be build, might need to order some parts for this.

- Attempt at a less cramped cockpit

- Try to include the iconic wing supports of the real aircraft.

I'm very pleased with the results so far and it looks fantastic next to the 42025.

Even large lego aeroplanes sometimes don't include working ailerons, I like how you fit it in.

The structure is clever, everything fits so well

Time for an update on the build progress:

I have rebuild the main structure to increase the structural rigidity and create some space to make it easier to reach the control-stick.

At the same time, I reduced the part count, currently 164 pieces.

I added elevons which can be moved by hand.

I don't have pictures of the real thing yet, so here are some screen shots of the model in LDD:

zxpu1j.jpg

What do you think?

Next step is to search for feasible colorschemes

Time for an update on the build progress:

I have rebuild the main structure to increase the structural rigidity and create some space to make it easier to reach the control-stick.

At the same time, I reduced the part count, currently 164 pieces.

I added elevons which can be moved by hand.

I don't have pictures of the real thing yet, so here are some screen shots of the model in LDD:

zxpu1j.jpg

What do you think?

Next step is to search for feasible colorschemes

I think blue would look good, blue and white. Also I think you could put some panels in the back to pad it out a bit. imo

Thanks legomuppet9, that is a good suggestion, I was a bit too focussed on the part count to consider panels, but now there is plenty of room for them.

Polo-Freak, you're right that white and blue make a great combo. But I already have a similar model as you, I will not 'steal' your color scheme as well :wink: .

I was experimenting with colors in LDD (with an earlier version of the plane) and got excited:

Exhibit A:

2q9bfuq.jpg

But then I started checking Brickset which colors were actually available for the parts of this model and a long story short: the main colors for the body must be yellow, black or red.

Since the 3x11 panel is only available in white, there are not much options for the wings.

I must play around a bit, by replacing some color-critical parts there might be more options. To be continued....

Edited by Cumulonimbus

This is awesome, both functional AND cute. Great job, 'Cumulonimbus'! As far as the color scheme goes, I like the white/yellow/blue one the most

After seeing the quality of the MINIs of many other contestants, I decided to completely redesign my entry.

I'm currently focusing on adding functionality. My WIP now has elevators and ailerons controlled by the stick. I'm considering working flaps and rudder, but these mechanisms require space which isn't available. I'm thinking about changing the scale, but this might have big impact on the part count. Lots to do and the deadline is approaching.

To be continued....

Small update of the WIP (don't mind the colours):

wtg0ut.jpg

As mentioned before, it has a functional stick which controls the ailerons, and elevators. Another lever moves the flaps. A controlled rudder was not possible at this scale.

Th bad news is that the part count currently is 212 and some areas lack structural rigidity. A next iteration will tackle this.

Stay tuned...