Sign in to follow this  
eDeevo

Guess what I got in the mail!!!

Yes, yes... it is your turn to guess what I did receive through the mail... a few clues...

1) It includes both LEGO Pirates & Castle items...

2) There are 4 'sets' in total (as well as other items...)...

3) I have wanted two of these sets for many, many years...

4) One set is often considered the "Holy Grail" of a certain theme...

and..... begin!

Life is good.

Now what could the holy grail of the Pirate theme be... Dang! There's so many to choose from...

I'll begin with the Skulls Eye Schooner!

Well, given the way you phrased it, I'm going to guess its one of the following:

1891: A four set Bonus pack containing 1887, 1888, 1889, and 1890.

Which, if memory serves me correctly, all those sets can only be found in that bonus pack. I could be way off, though...

Akkh

AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! I remember seeing that 4 pack promotinal pack MISB on eBay for around US$15 and I forgot to bid for it. I've never seen another since. I beat my head against the wall every time I'm reminded of it.

Well, given the way you phrased it, I'm going to guess its one of the following:

1891: A four set Bonus pack containing 1887, 1888, 1889, and 1890.

Which, if memory serves me correctly, all those sets can only be found in that bonus pack. I could be way off, though...

Akkh

Interesting guess, but incorrect... I never would have thought of that set as being that all rare (I have those four sets already... come to think of it, I have had three sets of those four since 1993, I believe) Also, I guess my wording was confusing.... I meant that I really had received four individual sets :$

& mister_phes- Recall a previous post pointing out that I have many pieces of the SES & I am trying to reassemble one (I am still trying to do that :-D )... Although, I would consider the SES the "Holy Grail" of the Pirate System Theme ;) *clue inserted* ;) ... So try again :-D

Life is Good.

I don't have time to search through previous posts right now... But lets see... What are the Holy Grails of the Pirate theme besides the Skulls Eye Schooner?

The Black Seas Barracuda was once upon a time, but since its re-released that status might have changed.

So Eldorado Fortress and Imperial Trading Post are the next two that spring to mind...

The clue was meant to put the set into the Castle Theme ;) Although, I also received Pirate items as well...

Life is Good.

The clue was meant to put the set into the Castle Theme ;) Although, I also received Pirate items as well...

Life is Good.

Well I'd have to put the 'holy grail' of the castle theme as 6086 or perhaps 6071...

God Bless,

Nathan

Well I'd have to put the 'holy grail' of the castle theme as 6086 or perhaps 6071...

God Bless,

Nathan

Ahh yes, correct on one account (but which one to be sure? ;) )... still not the one I refer to as the "Holy Grail" however... :-D

Life is Good.

The "Holy Grail" for castle is 375 MISB. Though many people feel that this set in any decent condition is valuable. Some other castle sets do sell for more but this one is more difficult to find in good condition as Lego sets were not nearly as much of a collectable thing as they are now. Most children played with there Yellow castles until the became worn and the fragile accessories busted or warped. :'(

My guess for the other castle set is the 6071. The forestman theme is beloved by almost everyone reguardless of theme preference. That and Ed loves the little green wearing fellows! ;)

Other than that I can't really think. I am leaving for Germany in less than 48 hours now and have more than enough going on in my mind.

Long live the Lego castle theme. Long live the castle Lego minifigures. Short live the other castle collectors. :^D :P ;)

Congrats on scoring some sweet caslte stuff either way Ed.

-SuvieD

Well SuvieD, you were correct on one account... & heres the proof:

375guys.jpg

It was not MISB, but it is certainly in great condition (as you can tell just from the minifigs in the pic ;) ) Now on to what else there is... and GO!

Life is Good.

I've never considered the yellow castle a 'holy grail' of the castle theme. I know I'm in the minority on this one ;) but personaly it is not 'castley' enough to be one of the great sets. For starters it's yellow. Secondly the figs (with the exception of 3 helms) are not great. Thirdly it isn't very compatible with the vast majority of the lego castle theme (excluding the jellybeans who are moving back in that direction). And lastly, and most importatly... I don't have it ;) .

God Bless,

Nathan

Life is Good.

Are any of the Pirate sets "holy grails" or does that only apply to the one Castle set?

Norro-

True, some do not consider it as the 'Holy Grail' of the Castle line, but after getting it and building it this weekend, I can say that I do :-D Oh, I also got these:

classicminifigs.jpg

& these...

processionminifigs.jpg

& Cpt. Blackbeard-

I trade with many people, from all around the world. I would be willing to trade with anyone that has LEGO Castle &/or Pirate sets or items that wants Star Wars LEGO sets... The items pictured above came from three different sources :-D

Life is Good.

Norro-

True, some do not consider it as the 'Holy Grail' of the Castle line, but after getting it and building it this weekend, I can say that I do :-D

I know I'm in the minority... But I still cant get past the yellow... perhaps if you sent me the castle and figs for Christmas I may be convinced :-D ;) ...

God Bless,

Nathan

I know I'm in the minority... But I still cant get past the yellow... perhaps if you sent me the castle and figs for Christmas I may be convinced :-D ;) ...

God Bless,

Nathan

Ahh, tis' a noble request, but will most assuredly be denied... nice try though...

& mister_phes, I consider the SES as the 'Holy Grail' of the pirate line, so that would be a 'no'... :-D But some may apply the same title to another Castle set I just received as well ;)

Life is Good.

& mister_phes, I consider the SES as the 'Holy Grail' of the pirate line, so that would be a 'no'... :-D But some may apply the same title to another Castle set I just received as well ;)

Technical details there is some consider the Pirate theme to have several Holy Grails. Is the Skulls Eye Schooner the ONLY one you see as a Holy Grail?

Technical details there is some consider the Pirate theme to have several Holy Grails. Is the Skulls Eye Schooner the ONLY one you see as a Holy Grail?

Yes, but mainly because it is so cool (& the fact that I don't have it ;) )

Life is Good.

Indeed I agree it is A Holy Grail of the Pirate theme, but not the only Holy Grail.

I've heard Eldorado Fortress, Imperial Trading Post, Caribbean Clipper, Imperial Flagship and Rock Island Refuge aslo mentioned as Holy Grails of the Pirate theme.

However, for me it was Pirates Perilious Pitfall. I think the main reason is because unlike the forementioned sets, this one was only on the market for one year wheras the others were for at least 3. Therefore it is rarer.

However, for me it was Pirates Perilious Pitfall.  I think the main reason is because unlike the forementioned sets, this one was only on the market for one year wheras the others were for at least 3.  Therefore it is rarer.

There you go with 'the rarer makes it better' again... You just can't compare pirates perilous pitfall with the imperial trading post, eldorado fortress, and especially the SES... maybe that is just me...

Mind you I don't have the ppp (yet ;) ) while I do have the other 3, so perhaps that clouds my judgement...

God Bless,

Nathan