Sign in to follow this  
plokoon 4 life!

HMS saigon rose

Hey all, i got the idea for this ship when reading 4 new MLCAD Ship WIPs by Eddy Redbeart. so i hope you like it :pir-classic:

More pics will come

Edited by plokoon 4 life!

Very nice start :) its always good to have an interior as well. i recommend youll make it a galleon because you dont have to make the streamlined rear of the hull typical for later ships. and galleons have stubby front and the railings on the bow extend forward over the bow and are relativly low so you dont have to worry to much about the shape of the front hull. not to mention galleons are beautifull and their high stern and forcasles allow alot of room for minifigs in the ship especialy in the stern. and theres a lot or room for decoration on the stern. rigging is relativly simple to allowing and parts are not so tiny and fragile looking so you can put in more details.

and not to forget they were historicly very importat in the age of pirates.

whatever you do with your ship, im looking forward to see it progress. the beginning looks very prommising :)

i recommend youll make it a galleon because you dont have to make the streamlined rear of the hull typical for later ships.

thanks eddy:), but how do you make the rear more streamlined? and also, do you think that the first row of cannons should go a deck up or should i just put it in between the galley and the officers quarters(at the stern)on the bottom deck

I do like it already, although MLCAD and LDD are not my kind of expertise. I would recommend though to increase the hull. Perhaps a brick built one is a good way to create the hull of the ship. If you are going for a late 17th century battle ship of the line I would certainly make the hull wider. If you are planning to make a galleon I would increase the hull's length since galleons were long thin ships.

Can you also please resize the pictures to a maximum of 800x600? That would be great for people with a slow internet connection. :pir-wink:

i recommend youll make it a galleon because you dont have to make the streamlined rear of the hull typical for later ships.

thanks eddy:), but how do you make the rear more streamlined? and also, do you think that the first row of cannons should go a deck up or should i just put it in between the galley and the officers quarters(at the stern)on the bottom deck

if you make a galleon you wont have to make the rear of the hull more streamlined. actually the shape of the rear hull of your ship looks very good already. i cant give you much tips on how to built brickbuit hulls though. i only did this for very small boats.i might try it at some point but for now im happy with the prefab hulls.

i like the prefab hulls alot. i had a sculls eyes shooner and an imperial flagship set when i was a kid. and the prefab hulls give the ships the sturdiness a toyship needs. im just a bit said lego never made some more realistic looking prefab rigging. even the long prefab rigging parts look out of place when built on ships with more than 4 midsections imho. im also a bit there arent prefab hulls wider than 16 studs.

especialy on larger ships with more than one gundeck the ships look a bit high when seen from the frontside.

eddy :)

hey all, time for an update. (sorry this is so late, i was bogged down with work :S)

i have done work on the lower gundeck and i have a pretty good idea what rate ship she is: 5th rate frigate with 40 guns :)

more updates to follow :)