Sign in to follow this  
Plaid Beard

MOC: The Tumble-Home Tavern

Happy finally to be able to present to you my latest MOC, The Tumble-Home Tavern (pun intended). As a wise Jedi once said, "Never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

So here goes.....

I wanted to try something different with the look of the building, so I did a beat-up stone facade.

20150917_091931.jpg

I really like the way the weathervane turned out.

20150917_091941.jpg

"Move along, nothing to see here."

20150917_092010.jpg

No cows were harmed in the shooting of this scene.

20150917_093550.jpg

The tomb of the notorious pirate, Deadbeard.

20150917_092017.jpg

Back shot of the tomb of Deadbeard.

fix_this.jpg

And there's the man, himself!

20150917_092033.jpg

"Mine?! Mine?!"

20150917_092042.jpg

It doesn't appear the 12 Steps are working. Sigh.... why is the rum always gone?

20150917_092116.jpg

Well now, this is awkward.... Also note the Redcoat spy in the barrel.

20150917_092154.jpg

I can't tell if they're checking the menu for names they know or trying to worship the metal chicken on top.

20150917_092222.jpg

Here's a closer view of the stone work on the facade. I still need to finish the sign.

20150917_092255.jpg

Frankly I'm a little surprised - I thought pigs had some standards.

20150917_092322.jpg

Definitely not the Swedish Chef. The fireplaces are lit from below using small LED tea light candles.

20150917_092342.jpg

Another shot of the chef hard at work. How do you like your giant bug's head cooked?

fix_this_2.jpg

The back view.

20150917_092433.jpg

Some of the nastiest pirates around are meeting upstairs - Dread Pirate Roberts, Blackbeard, Sponge-Beard Square-Rig, and nearly every pirate captain TLG has released since 1989 - Metal Beard is absent because I'm still working on him.

20150917_092441.jpg

The upstairs lifts out for easier access.

20150917_092549.jpg

Overview shot of the downstairs.

20150917_092604.jpg

My tribute to Isaac, the bartender on "The Love Boat".

Note the baseball bat behind the bar. Originally this was a musket, but the baseball bat was funnier to me.

20150917_092632.jpg

"The fish is dead! Long live the fish!" I don't think kitty really wants to eat that three-eyed mutant fish.

20150917_092651.jpg

May I just brag a little about this corner? Part of why I wanted to do this project was because I wanted to do these sorts of windows. I'm really quite happy with the way they turned out, and this particular photo is one of my favorites because this is the exact effect for which I was going.

20150917_092720.jpg

The answer is yes, you can bring outside food into the tavern, but they make you cook it, yourself.

20150917_092727.jpg

I think he can do better. When I originally built this Minifigure he was marrying a cow.

20150917_092735.jpg

"Avast there, matey! I'm a pirate! Come sit on me!" I had to do this. I just had to. I'm sure you understand.

20150917_092743.jpg

Lobster or giant scorpion? I reckon we'll find out when he whacks it with that hammer.

fix.jpg

More of the action downstairs.... And I love that you can see the face of a Bluecoat soldier through the window.

overview.jpg

A shot down the pier...

fix_this_3.jpg

Proudly owned and operated by a guy with more money than brains and a guy with more fake parts than real.

plaid_beard_and_friend.jpg

Thanks for looking!

This is absolutely stunning... Every detail is fantastic and I love the collection of Captains upstairs, such a cool way of organising them, of course they would need a meeting every now and again.

Argh, there is so much detail going on here I almost don't want to comment on one thing in fear of over shadowing the rest!

But here goes anyway,

The weather vain is inspired, Lego building need more weather vains (or is that just a British thing??) but it was the first thing I noticed and it awesome.

Then the chickens worshipping the menu chicken, I love it!

The whole outside exterior of the building, with the tomb... Very cool

The building- I really like your windows they work really well!

I love all the animal scenes going on, poor cat.

And the guy eating the scorpion... Lobster (Does Lego make a lobster, they should)?

And the roast parrot, why not!

And the characters in your place are just cool, I could just keep looking at the scene for hours (but I really should do some work today)

Edited by BrickOn

Oooo I just had another look again and noticed the wolf and Minotaur minifigure heads in the wall! So cool, I may steal that idea at some point :-)

You've got so many great scenes in this build. The roasted parrot is pretty amusing. Dread Pirate Roberts is a cool addition to the Captain collection. It's hilarious to see Isaac the bartender.

Wow, I am impressed.

At first I was going to comment on the fine building and the excellent weathervane - but then your post was not finished and there was more and more and more and more...

All these excellent details: Monkeys in the kitchen, egyptian drawings on the wall, the redcoat hiding in the barrel, the windows, pouring the wine, ... .. amazing.

More of that, please!

To close with wise men's words was a clever move too pir_laugh2.gif

Love it! So much detail everywhere! The posing is great throughout, and there are so many little touches that I really like... hmm... let's see... I especially like the guy hiding in the barrel, the parts usage on all the "liquid pouring out of a bottle" scenes, and the way you did the lift-out second floor. Just great all-around! pirate_laugh2.gif

Everything is awesome! I was going to write the same comment as Cpt. Braunsfeld, but he already wrote it :( I love Deadbeard's tomb! I heard he once sailed together with the notorious Captain Neckbeard. But these may just be rumours...

Love the window shot, so cosy! And the redcoat in the barrel! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words! pirate_laugh_new.gif This was a fun project. My first tavern design did not have an upstairs, but I thought that it would be neat - as several of you noted - to be able to put my pirate captains on display. I'd been trying to design a brethren court scene for them all, but failed in that.

Fantastic work! I especially liked the bribery scene, the look on the pirates face as he falls off the cow is perfect and had me laughing from the beginning. Bravo!

This is a fantastic build. I love the idea of a tavern where the pirates can gather to drink their ale. There's lots of attention to detail here, something happening in every square inch of this place. I really like the way the walls were done, nice stuff.

Good job!

What a build Plaid Beard! Its packed full of so many details and small stories. The weather vane and chickens where my favorite parts.

Bon appetit to the sea-gulls!!!

How long have you been creating LEGO sets to become such a skillful master builder?!!! Such an unspeakable piece of art with unusual building techniques. I wish I learn from you. It looks very realistic.

An excellent collection of pirate captains.

What an awesome creation! So many fine details. The weathervane is brilliant. The interiors are really detailed and they look good. I really like the use of lightbrick in the fireplace.

If I can give you a small critique, I think the roof is a bit too even. It might look better if it was a bit crooked IMO.

But overall it is a fantastic MOC. Well done!

If I can give you a small critique, I think the roof is a bit too even. It might look better if it was a bit crooked IMO.

I struggled with the roof. I had an idea in mind that would have fit beter with the beat up look of the facade, but I did not have enough pieces to make it. In the end I went with the roof I used because of a time crunch, but I really would love to change the roof and give it something with more character.

This is a fantastic tavern, and the name is great - although I must confess it took me a moment to get the pun, at which point I had a good laugh. The wall textures are excellent and I don't think I've ever seen that particular style of rockwork before. I like the roof as it is. Sometimes builders just get carried away trying to create crumbling, delapidated, sagging roofs - but considering why it's there, I prefer mine to look solid and well-maintained, and this one certainly looks the part. The amount of detail, the number and variety of minifigs, and the level of activity are all impressive and your humor is fine too. There's so much to observe - the weathervane, the windows, the kitchen, the 2 highwaymen holding each other up, the pirates upstairs, the upended fellow out front, the spy, the various liquids being poured. Considering their importance it's somewhat surprising we don't see more good taverns. Excellent work.

So much detail -- incredible! Very inspiring! And you did a great job with the general structure itself. I like your weathered/aged stone effect.