1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

It's been a few years since Jurassic Park hit the big screen, and these new Dino theme sets are not based on the movie, yet they have brought back some fond memories for me. Since I got back into LEGO last year, I've been slowly collecting the various dinosaurs from all the retired dino-related themes. Some of the dinosaurs in the past range varied from strange to downright ugly with a few gems, of course. Will the new theme live up to the hype and impress dinosaur fans around the world, or will it fall quickly to extinction? Read on to find out my answer.

Name: Raptor Chase

Set Number: 5884

Pieces: 255

Price: $29.99

Ages: 5-12

Minifigs: 2

Theme: Dino

Year of Release: 2012 (actual 2011)

Box Front

6348551893_500c81f32f_b.jpg

Here's a big scene for this small set. At least, that's the way I felt when I saw the front of the box. The box itself is a lot larger than I had expected for a $30 set. The background and graphics on the box, as well as the setup of the set, really make the set feel bigger than it actually is. This isn't a problem in my mind, just something I noticed. If I was a parent and purchasing this for a child, I'd really feel like I was getting a great deal buying this set.

Box Back

6349302630_49b3f68d77_b.jpg

Ok, now the set feels even bigger and more action-packed. The back of the box depicts the interactive features of the set. The best scene on the back is the one where they lasso the Raptor and getting ready to tranquilize him. That scene is so full of action it really makes me want to play with the set and make roaring sounds.

Box Sides

6348552005_6cd8ba817e_b.jpg

6348552135_6c82d90f29_b.jpg

6349302742_45dcf58b45_b.jpg

6348552185_4165fb762d_b.jpg

The sides are very typical of any LEGO set. They have used the new style of large but thin boxes so that more room is available for artwork on the front and back, less cardboard wasted on the sides.

Instructions Cover

6349321706_44e7ce3ef2_b.jpg

Very similar, nearly exactly the same artwork as the front of the box. However, the front of the instruction booklet does not have the same wow factor for me.

Instructions Open

6349303672_d2393c5337_b.jpg

The printing of the instructions is nice, as I've come to expect from LEGO sets. I have a bit of an issue with the booklet, and I'm not sure if this is simply the first time I've noticed or if it is something new. The issue is that the instructions are so long. For such a small set, I'd expect a much thinner book. This book, as you can see from the photo, has steps that only place one part. One?! I think even a child could follow more than one part per step. The problem is that it slows down building by forcing you to stop and turn pages so often, as well as using extra ink and paper.

Stickers

6349303302_078b581d2d_z.jpg

The stickers are nice. The printing is nice and I like the designs. I do feel that some of these could have easily been printed parts, which I really would have enjoyed having.

Bag 1 & Raptor

6349302936_36161cd1c7_b.jpg

The Raptor body parts are packaged in the "Chinese factory" plastic bag, just like many other large molded and glued parts from other sets (specialty minifigure heads, Toy Story characters, etc.). I've included the Raptor parts with Bag 1 because the build is shown at the start of the instructions, right after the minifigures.

Bag 2

6349303018_78bd1f796b_b.jpg

Here you can see the big tires, and probably guess most of the truck will be built using these parts.

Raptor Parts

6349303066_9960b5fd22_b.jpg

Outside the package now, it's plain to see the nice printing on our Raptor. The color scheme is just great and the use of standard Technic pin joints will make for many MOCs later. Even though the tail looks like it has a joint, it does not. I was disappointed by this, as I wanted to make a video of my Raptor wagging his tail. :laugh:

Bag 1: Dark Parts

6348552561_371dec7023_b.jpg

Bag 1: Light Parts

6349303464_d009862424_b.jpg

Bag 2: Dark Parts

6349303536_47ddbd4ddd_b.jpg

Bag 2: Light Parts

6349303616_64a0bf9908_b.jpg

Raptor Build

6348552403_30331de6db_b.jpg

Straight out of it's own personal bag, we can almost completely build this guy. Looks like we'll need to break open Bag 1 to get that last connection for his head (black Technic pin).

6348552601_1479954cc2_b.jpg

Our completed Raptor. I'm very pleased with the design of him overall. The paint detailing is great, the mouth opens and stays in the position I place it, and the arms and legs and head all swivel. The only two things that I would have liked to see are that the tail end section could use the ability to move that and it would have been neat if the head was on a ball joint instead of standard Technic pin joint (so that it could have more articulation like a Fabuland figure head).

Minifigures

6349569478_6369a5f1ef_z.jpg

What can I say but wow! I really like these new torso and leg prints. Not only are they great in the action theme, but I feel that the torso on the left will work in literally any current LEGO theme. The new leg print is very nice, I like the modification to the standard holder print and the addition of the compass. The bearded face is nice, but the real gem of the heads is the smug smiling scuffed-up face of the younger man. What a great face.

6348819407_808c614e82_z.jpg

Oh, and did I mention they are printed on the back too?! I'm not a big fan of that huge D logo, but the design of the clothing and other details on the back printing is great. Of course my favorite face from this set has a dual-sided head too. :wub:

6349569662_349055c7bc.jpg

There's been a lot of chatter about this gun. The design is very simplistic, but it looks very solid and feels very solid. I'm looking forward to some military MOCs with the syringe replaced by something more scope-like.

Outpost Complete

6349569354_7f39ec1cc7_b.jpg

The outpost is a simple build, I didn't bother with an in-progress photo because of it's simplicity. Most of it is built on one level right on the 6x6 plates. I do think that the designers did a good job creating a small addition to this set, it gives the set a bit more atmosphere and extra playability.

Vehicle Build

6348819261_7db991b285_b.jpg

Here is something I found a bit strange. In all the other sets I have built, Bag 1 started and finished Model 1 and Bag 2 started and finished Model 2, and so on. In this set, however, Bag 1 has the builder starting the truck, which is what I'd call Model 2. This photo shows what we have at the end of the instructions for Bag 1. It's a strange little rainbow-colored vehicle. :laugh:

Vehicle Complete

6348819753_bfc0b993c4_b.jpg

Ah, that's better! After finishing the instructions for Bag 2, we have a very strong truck with some great play features. The bright green missiles can be flick-launched at your brother Raptor, the turret can turn and the barrel of the noose/bait can be moved up and down. Of course it's a truck with some hefty tires, so you can drive it all over the place (hand-powered of course).

6349569914_1edc13e71d_b.jpg

6348819605_c038048bf5_b.jpg

Whole Set

6349570118_914cf6d929_b.jpg

Here is the whole set together, I've set it up similar to the photo on the front of the box. Looks like they are trying to capture the Raptor and he seems interested in the bait. I don't see how anything could go wrong here.

Conclusion

Overall, I found this set a great value. We get this super-cool new Raptor, two minifigures with great new prints, a tranquilizer gun, two lime green syringes, and a very play-with-it-rough truck. All for only $30! I really like the yellow/dark-red color scheme and the dark tan minifigure scheme. The various greens used on the dinosaur itself are perfect too; it looks very natural and pleasing to my eyes. I have to say that, based on this set anyway, this theme is a winner in my book.

Ratings

Playability: 9/10 - Everything in this set is very much built for play. It's plain to see the designers had playing in mind when creating this small set. The playability of the outpost portion of the set is a little bit more difficult for my giant adult hands.

Design: 9/10 - I really like the design of the truck itself. It is very sturdy and looks nice, so much so that I may keep it built. The design of the Raptor is wonderful, the minifigures are excellent, and even the little outpost looks nice. The only major fault I can see is that dinosaur tail not moving.

Price: 8/10 - The price is good, though I would have liked it down to $25 since it only has two minifigures and isn't a licensed theme.

Minifigures: 9/10 - I love these figures, the new prints are great and the new items too. I'd have scored it perfect if both minifigures had a tranquilizer gun (there are two darts, but only one gun).

Parts: 8/10 - Overall great parts.

Bonus Photo

6349570188_4dd34db965_b.jpg

Looks like they got a little too rough trying to capture this fella. No worries, the nurse is here to help.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Where'd you get this? I live in Wisconsin, so I might be able to get it where you did. :wub: This set is probably my second favorite in the line, right behind the HQ. Is the hat a new color, or is it like the CM Cowboy hat?

Where'd you get this? I live in Wisconsin, so I might be able to get it where you did. :wub: This set is probably my second favorite in the line, right behind the HQ. Is the hat a new color, or is it like the CM Cowboy hat?

Ordered from Shop@Home. I checked the local Toys R Us (still blows me away there is only one) last weekend and they did not have any of the new sets. I ordered from S@H last Thursday and the set arrived yesterday.

Great work Darkdragon! This set is on my list to get as I reall want that Green raptor. :wub: That and I need the dude with the hat. :tongue:

:hmpf_bad: I was hoping it was at TRU. Hopefully I'll get this and the HQ this weekend. :sweet:

Great work Darkdragon! This set is on my list to get as I reall want that Green raptor. :wub: That and I need the dude with the hat. :tongue:

Great minds think alike, I see. :laugh:

Edited by K-nut

This is such a fantastic review of a brand new series and set.

Your images are top and I mean top notch. I like how you present your content and you cover the set from a good AFOL angle.

Seeing these reviews pop up is making the dino series look very tempting.

Great review. Let's me know what to expect from this when it finally arrives. Unfortunately, it looks like just another in the long line of uninteresting big-tired trucks. Still, it will look nice among the other vehicles in the theme, or being pulled to pieces by a Tyrannosaur.

I think the other version of the Raptor looks a little better, but this one is still a nice looking beast, and that new head with the mustache/sideburn print is awesome. That'll make for some good American Civil War solder Minifigs.

Looks pretty nice. Could you please take a picture of the gun with a telescope piece as a the scope? :sweet:

A fantastic review, darkdragon. Amazing pictures and very informative. I have to admit that I like the colours of the raptor in the HQ set a bit better than the green one here, so this set isn't high on my purchase list but would certainly make a good purchase in a sale.

wait a min - raptor head fits on minifig neck?

Yes it does, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll get a photo when I get home tonight. :devil:

Excellent review of an excellent set! I had planned to pass on this one, but now it has shot up to the top of my list beside 5885.

Of course the raptor really steals the show here, one of TLC's best animal designs.

The truck has some good bits but seems rather odd as is, in my opinion it would look far better with smaller wheels. That can be easily fixed!

This is my favorite set out of the new Dino theme. I love the design of the jeep, and the great figs and awesome dino make this a big win. :thumbup:

Your review is fantastic, too! Very clear photos. Thanks so much for doing this!

This is my favorite set out of the new Dino theme. I love the design of the jeep, and the great figs and awesome dino make this a big win. :thumbup:

Your review is fantastic, too! Very clear photos. Thanks so much for doing this!

Whoops, forgot to type something^ :tongue:

Great review, lots of useful parts in these. :thumbup:

That is pretty epic!

At first I really didn't like the dinosaurs but I think I'm getting used to it!

Thank you for the review! And that above picture is great! :laugh:

Wow, lovely crystal-clear pictures. :wub: And a very good review overall, great job darkdragon! :thumbup: This is an nice medium-sized set, and is third on my DINO buylist behind the T-Rex Hunter and Triceratops sets. The Raptor is reason enough for me to get this, even if I'm not much of a fan of the jeep's design, though it could be a very useful parts source.

Thanks for the excellent review!

:thumbup:

I am looking forward to getting the raptor and vest torso minifig from this set. I can see this line selling really well for Lego.

Very nice review. Thank you darkdragon. :thumbup:

:wink:

The Jeep is very iconic and it kind of reminds me of the Jurrassic Park II scene where they are catching those running herbivorous dinosaurs. I will definitely pick this for sure.

Great first review(or second, idk :tongue:) of this series. The whole thing is great, the figs are awesome! I really like the hat fella. I echo everyone else about the raptor. I could definitely see this as a multiple buy. What team doesn't have more than one vehicle in the convoy? Especially when you're hunting/trapping animals.

Interesting point about non-articulating raptor tail. For some reason, that didn't occur to me at first, possibly because lizards and reptiles are not as tail-conscious as, say, the feline or rodent families. Would have been sweet, though, particularly for a raptor!

(Of course, if I had my way, the raptors would have feathers like chickens, their closest living relatives, but I'm a party-pooper like that :sadnew: )

Very nice review! Top notch pics!

I only saw some of these sets last week (I'm not so obsessive these days about "next year's line" anymore). Probably I don't like it nearly as much as Pharaoh's Quest, but it's still pretty interesting. The mini-figs have a lot of character, and the dinosaurs have benefited from the monster creation skills built up making tauntauns and whatnot in the Star Wars line. I'm sure I'll end up buying a few of the little sets of this series, and this might end up being one of the ones I pick up. Thanks again!

Boy, I had given up interest in the Dino theme, but this has brought it back. I really like the modular dino, the figures are cool, the gun is cool, the truck is a little meh, but is looks good for parts.

It still seems a little overpriced for me but, that's what sales are for.