Sign in to follow this  
Commodore Hornbricker

The 1st Annual Redcoat vs. Bluecoat Tournament of Retribution

Now that Martinsuper is back and clamoring for more contests I figured we needed a way to channel his enthusiasm before he goes on another one man rampage so I put together this idea I have had for a Redcoats vs. Bluecoats Tournament with the help of Captain Green Hair and super.

The rules and details are below but this thread will serve as the sign up thread. We need Redcoat and Bluecoat team captains. For starters I will serve as a Redcoat team captain and martinsuper as a Bluecoat team captain but we can have multiple teams on each side depending on the level of participation.

What we need from you is your name, whether you would like to be on a Redcoat Team or a Bluecoat Team and if you'd be willing to be a team captain. We'll see how many people want to play and then we'll work on putting teams together here (let's keep the Redcoat vs. Bluecoat banter out for now so we can focus on getting this going as quick as we can).

Also if you are interested in serving as a judge you can sign up here.

So here is how the Tournament will work:

The First Annual Redcoats vs. Bluecoats Tournament of Retribution

General purpose: The primary purpose of the tournament is to have FUN at the expense of the opposing side (Redcoats vs. Bluecoats).

The Tournament objective: WIN by creating the funniest, most brutal, outlandish Vigs/Bigs representing your side causing the most humiliating, physical, emotional harm to the other side (as represented by their sides minifigures Red vs. Blue). Think like the old spy vs. spy comics. For the purpose of this game Redcoats and Bluecoats represent no national origin so pick which minifigure you like best.

How the tournament will work:

- It will be team based. We will have between 3 -5 members per team. This will depend on how many people sign up to participate so shoot for putting together teams of 5 but be prepared to have to downsize to 3 and spin off new teams depending. We must have an even number of teams on both sides so we will start with the goal of having four teams on each side.

- Each team will alternate posting a Vig (i.e. Redcoats one day Bluecoats the next) until each member of the team has posted two vigs. Individuals on a team must alternate their posting so they don't post for their team two times in a row.

- We can have multiple teams competing during each round if we have enough (except the final round of course).

- Each team must have a name which contains their side (Redcoat or Bluecoat) and at least one other unique identifying word. Team names can not be more than 4 words long.

- During each round a unique thread will be started in the Classic-Pirates MOC Forum by the Tournament Moderator (i.e. Tournament of Retribution - Redcoat Warriors vs. Bluecoat Soldiers - Round 1). The Tournament Moderator will be entrusted to flip a coin to determine which side goes first (Redcoat Teams will always be heads and Bluecoat teams will always be tails). Once determined the Tournament Moderator will inform the team captains of the order.

- Upon being informed the team selected to go first has 48 hours to post their first submission. Once the first submission is posted the second team has 24 hours from the time it was posted to respond and they continue on the back and forth until all team members have posted two submissions. Failure to post within 24 hours results in the team losing that turn in the rotation and judges as asked to make a significant reduction in that teams final score.

Tournament Moderator: We need someone (I have asked Admiral Zorro to serve in this capacity or help to identify someone appropriate) who is impartial on the subject of Redcoats vs. Bluecoats to serve as the Tournament’s Moderator. This person may not participate on a team. This person will be responsible for randomly selecting the opposing teams (if we have multiple teams on each side) that face each other in each round and randomly assigning which team goes first. The moderator will track the judges votes and declare the head to head winner and in accordance with the rules make preparations for the next round (if necessary). The moderator is entrusted to interpret the rules of the tournament and use his/her judgment on any issues not specifically addressed by the rules but must stay within the spirit of the tournament.

Tournament Judges: Judges need to be impartial on the subject of Redcoats & Bluecoats and should have a wicked sense of humor and a high tolerance for the absurd. Judges can not serve on a team. We can have up to eleven judges (but it must be an odd number). After each member of each team has posted two submissions in accordance with the rules the judges through PM or other means will determine the winning team based on the purpose and objective of the Tournament.

- Building techniques and quality should have no direct bearing on the voting but those types of factors may of course indirectly affect how well a judge feels the teams overall work meets the criteria of the tournament.

- No voting for your friends just because they are your friends - you're a judge for crying out loud (exceptions to this rule will be made if the judge can produce evidence that a bribe was paid that no reasonable person could turn down).

- The winning team will advance to the next round (if there is one) and the process will repeat itself until a winning side is identified.

- Because the Tournament is seeking to identify a winning side vs. a winning team it will be over when a side wins EXAMPLE: If in the first Round three Redcoat Teams win and only one Bluecoat team wins then the remaining Bluecoat team will face the top rated Redcoat Team (as determined by the judges from the 1st round. If the remaining Bluecoat team wins that second round then they will face the next highest rated Redcoat team from the 1st round (as determined by the judges) in round three and so on. Once there are no more teams from a side remaining the other side is declared the victor.

- Each individual judge may determine their own methodology for rendering their decision but must select a single winning side in each team faceoff.

- The judges may talk amongst themselves about entries and may or may not decide to have some uniform methodology for evaluation.

- Once the teams have submitted their required two entries per team member and the submissions have ended for that head to head completion the judges have 48 hours to post their individual decisions. Judges are encouraged to be as wickedly funny and brutal as possible in rendering their decision but need to specifically declare their vote for the winning team.

The Rules for the Teams & additional direction for Judges: There aren't many.

- Lego only with the exception of aftermarket products (Brickforge, etc.) which are allowed.

- It's not about building, it's about funny story telling through the use of Lego depicting senseless violence and other nonsensical behavior toward Redcoats or Bluecoats but build as much or as little as you need to.

- Each individual submission can have up to three sequences (3 images total per submission) like a little comic strip depicting a sequence of events.

- Each image must have text associated with it. The text can be dialog of the characters or a narrative description similar to what would be found in a comic strip or a combination. Judges may deduct points if they feel you provided too much or too little dialog but no value is to be assigned to how good the dialog boxes look.

- You may use avatars if you wish in your submissions but the judges are not to assign any additional value to the use of avatars on either side. The use of avatars is limited to the avatars of members who have entered the tournament as team members (not judges or the moderator). Participants on a team agree by joining the tournament to have their avatars abused in whatever way other teams see fit to abuse them.

- Participants can use any other Lego factions, themes, sets, etc. as they see fit as long as at least one Redcoat and one Bluecoat appears in each submission submission.

- Redcoats include both old and new redcoats with one exception. Because there are no new bluecoats the new governor will be playing for the Bluecoats in this game.

About Spectators: Spectators are asked to :

- Not post about the building techniques but rather about how funny, gross, outlandish the submission is.

- They are encouraged to discuss and expand on the story as it has been presented in funny and outlandish ways.

- They are asked to only post on the most recent submission in each head to head competition.

Prizes Bragging Rights

EDIT CGH: signing up can be done untill the 26th of July!

Username: Admiral M

Team: Redcoats

Team Cpt: No, thanks.

This is a great idea, hornbricker! I can't wait to see the gorey MOCs that we come up with!

Edited by Admiral M

Username: martinsuper

Team: Bluecoats

Team Cpt: I think we have some "elder" bluecoats that would do this job better that me.

Muahahahaha! :pir-devil: Er....

Username: Hound Knight

Team: Redcoats!

Team Cpt: I will step up to the plate if duty calls!

Username: Joey Lock

Team Captain: I wil have a bash at it if needed. But prefrably not.

You know the new Governer will be for the Bluecoats. What if I used the body but change it? Because Joey Lock is pratically the new governer but with Pearl Gold Shoulders and my head. :pir_laugh2:

Username: Captain Blue Hair

Side: Blue Coats

Team Captain: i think i am up for the task if Super doesn't want the job.

Username: Joey Lock

Team Captain: I wil have a bash at it if needed. But prefrably not.

You know the new Governer will be for the Bluecoats. What if I used the body but change it? Because Joey Lock is pratically the new governer but with Pearl Gold Shoulders and my head. pir_laugh2.gif

Give him some red pants perhaps? (Not unthinkable in that age)

And boy it sucks for you that your name turns up in Blue. :pir_laugh2:

Username: Captain Blue Hair

Side: Blue Coats

Give him some red pants perhaps? (Not unthinkable in that age)

And boy it sucks for you that your name turns up in Blue. :pir_laugh2:

What nobility is red?

Moderator?

If not, We should make a red nobility!

Also, Will we get small badges? Like the shipyard people. That would be awesome.

What nobility is red?

Moderator?

If not, We should make a red nobility!

Also, Will we get small badges? Like the shipyard people. That would be awesome.

Yes mods turn up red, so that's me :pir-hmpf_bad:

The tags, or ''small badges'' as you call 'm might be a cool idea, i will look into it. :pir-wink:

@Commodore:

Making 1 vig per week would be nice i think.

Then people would have some decent time to build and the spectators and moderator have some time to grade it.

I suggest voting is done by means of a poll, so that it is scientific.

I would like to add that team members would not be allowed to vote in the poll, which we can check.

Yes mods turn up red, so that's me :pir-hmpf_bad:

The tags, or ''small badges'' as you call 'm might be a cool idea, i will look into it. :pir-wink:

@Commodore:

Making 1 vig per week would be nice i think.

Then people would have some decent time to build and the spectators and moderator have some time to grade it.

I suggest voting is done by means of a poll, so that it is scientific.

I would like to add that team members would not be allowed to vote in the poll, which we can check.

I was thinking about that last night. I was hoping by having judges we could get some traditionally non-pirate folks more involved but that maybe after a winning side is identified we could have a poll for a single MVP from the both sides voted on by all members? If we do that I would be willing to donate a Soldiers Fort set as a prize to each MVP (total of 2).

I also would encourage some of our newer members to join as the building will be small scale and the primary purpose is to have fun. The team approach makes for less pressure and I am certainly open to expanding the building time. If we have a bunch of people we can keep it shorter because everyone will essentially have a week anyway before there's is due but if we have smaller teams we'll need to expand the time.

Edited by Commodore Hornbricker

I was thinking about that last night. I was hoping by having judges we could get some traditionally non-pirate folks more involved but that maybe after a winning side is identified we could have a poll for a single MVP from the both sides voted on by all members? If we do that I would be willing to donate a Soldiers Fort set as a prize to each MVP (total of 2).

I also would encourage some of our newer members to join as the building will be small scale and the primary purpose is to have fun. The team approach makes for less pressure and I am certainly open to expanding the building time. If we have a bunch of people we can keep it shorter because everyone will essentially have a week anyway before there's is due but if we have smaller teams we'll need to expand the time.

We will need Judges that cannot be easily bribed. I know how those Bluecoats vicious minds work... :pir_laugh2:

So this contest is not about the best creation, But the best situation?

Because some people may have less figures than others. (Like me for example)

I think you would be better suited to lead us. I am a soldier, a killer, a mauler, and a destroyer, so I am not much for leading. Unless I need to. Then only by example. :jollyroger:

Username: General Armendariz

Team : Bluecoats

Team cpt. no

Edited by General Armendariz

We will need Judges that cannot be easily bribed. I know how those Bluecoats vicious minds work... :pir_laugh2:

So this contest is not about the best creation, But the best situation?

Because some people may have less figures than others. (Like me for example)

My intention is simplicity like Spy vs. Spy so yes situation as oppossed to building skill and number of bricks.

spy_vs_spy_comic_3.gif

spy_vs_spy_comic_7.jpg

Ok, i will take up the task as Team Captain for the Bluecoats, if everybody is ok with that?

Let me know, so we can get this show on the road! :pir-grin:

That sounds great, when do we start?!

Ok, i will take up the task as Team Captain for the Bluecoats, if everybody is ok with that?

Let me know, so we can get this show on the road! :pir-grin:

Fine with me!

I have been following the pirate forum for some time now and done the occasional posting and hereby offer my services as a judge.

For references I would like to direct your attention to my signature banner. :pir-skull: