Ridge Montante

Poor Knights Fortress

This is my first MOC. So be gentle, but I do appreciate comments and criticism. Any help to get better right? This is a poor knights fortress, he didn't have the money to finish it all the way. Hence why he and his fellow knights are being attacked.

10734787083_d7ca078122_z.jpg

Poor Knights Fortress 1 by RidgeMontante, on Flickr

Without the minifigs.

10734796033_866ce33d1d_z.jpg

Poor Knights Fortress 3 by RidgeMontante, on Flickr

10734494875_b547bdaaef_z.jpg

Poor Knights Fortress 4 by RidgeMontante, on Flickr

10734597844_0ed8c51bca_z.jpg

Poor Knights Fortress 5 by RidgeMontante, on Flickr

10734804843_15eef5e186_z.jpg

Poor Knights Fortress 6 by RidgeMontante, on Flickr

10734600474_0372837fe0_z.jpg

Poor Knights Fortress 7 by RidgeMontante, on Flickr

10734601464_b54548a3d8_z.jpg

Poor Knights Fortress 8 by RidgeMontante, on Flickr

Hope you all enjoy.

Hey. I am totally digging this. It looks very playable for kids. I'm a dad, and even my most favorite builds...nay, indeed my most favorite builds - they get daughter-handled roughly. I can see her having fun with a set like this. Good use of features like stairs, ramps, and interior-exterior use. So check mark there.

And great use of environmentals - the hall with the water - very minecraft-esque and adds to the total life of the model.

Then - the poor knights. Sad friars without any helmets - I like them and the idea that this is a fortress that isn't done.

(Though really - shame on those black knights for not letting them finish!)

I assume the "brick with holes" represent parts in progress? I would spread those out, for a more natural texture... I would spread the building out more to really sell that this is under construction. Right now it seems like "mostly built, just need to fill in the details." Not - "oh my goodness, so much work left to do...just look at the west wing and soon-to-be-poor king's treasury!" unfinished. I think an unfinished, but fully delineated room or wall would really help out. Or maybe some simple scaffold or construction equipment working on piles of bricks. Maybe a half-started curved tower to match the great one that is built -

One thing that I think you are on to in creating an architecture unique to these poor knights - the Triple arches. I see them in at least two places. Maybe you can get three to "stack" horizontally at the front of the gate or elsewhere to mirror those spots...

Anyway - great start and thank you for sharing!

I love the comments WaysofSorting. Thank you. I was definitely going with the playability aspect with the open areas. I like your ideas of a more unfinished look, I'll keep that in mind for future MOCs.

Well it looks unfinished... but it also could be a ruined castle, and still it's really nice!

There are some nice techniques and architectures :thumbup:

The poor knight couldn't afford to buy helmets for his troops :wink:

This is looking pretty good! The play-ability of this build is pretty amazing. I think adding a giant gate and maybe a few defenses (such as a catapult) might add a couple of neat little features!