As I've stated in other topics earlier, I recenty got back into Technic, and I'm finally starting to get enough pieces to make my own creations!

I thought I'd make a thread where I can show off my stuff (hope that's okay), and hpefully get some feedback, critisism and tips on improvements from the EuroBricks Technic community.

As I'm just starting to get used to the whole studless construction techniques, I hope you're not expecting miracles just yet, but hopefully we'll get there in due time! :hmpf: (btw love the lego emoticons!)

So here it is; my very first MOC! (Still a very much work in progress)

2012-09-19_21.02.50.jpg

I'm not quite sure what kind of vehicle this would classify as, it's not a hot rod, and it's not a buggy, and definately not a tractor, but something inbetween!

The features I've managed to implement are:

-RC drive via two PF-M motors linked together via differential

-RC steering via one PF-M motor (with working steering wheel)

-Inpendent double wishbone front suspension

-Pendular suspension + shock absorber on the rear axle

-Opening hood

View of the steering. Found out I'd add the steering wheel after I had already installed the battery box, so I had to do a somewhat intricate bypass solution there :sceptic: It works allright though! No self centering though.. yet!

2012-09-19_21.03.51.jpg

A view of the rear suspension setup, as well as axle. I only have one differential yet (actually got it by accident when I bought the 8043 secondhand), but more are on the way!

I know the entire rear of the car/buggy/tractor/hotrod looks very empty, but as I said; a work in progress! :wink:

View of the front suspension and temporary grille. The shocks here defiantely have to be of the harder type. On the way!

The entire front can come off pretty easily to make modifications.

2012-09-19_21.04.45.jpg

Bottom view of the drivetrain, as well as the vertical placement of the motor for the steering.

Overall I'm happy with the result so far! :laugh: Things are working, and the structure seems solid enough!

I just spent a couple hundred Euros on bricklink ordering new pieces, among them new differentials, harder shocks, bigger wishbones and wheel hubs for the front, an XL-motor ++ lots of other things that'll come in handy in the future!

So what do you think?

Edited by D3K

Nice Wip Moc already.

At the first i thougt it must be a hotrod, but when i look longer and see the back it's olso could be a Stockcar, only the roll cage is missing. Keep going your good work and let us now off your progess :thumbup:

Edit:

I find some video what i mean of the first looks at your WIP what came up at mine mind

Iceland offroad racing whit V8 stockcars

Edited by VFracingteam

Yeah, I remember seeing that episode of Top Gear, and you're right, there are definately some similarities! Maybe I'll use one of those Icelandic "formula offroad" cars!

And thanks for the positive feedback!:-)

Done some minor reorganizing on the vehicle:

2012-09-22_19.31.56.jpg

2012-09-22_19.34.09.jpg

As you can see I have relocated the battery box towards the rear, and added a differential to the rear axle.

I have also added a small V4 engine (don't have any more cylinders yet :tongue: )

2012-09-22_19.32.33.jpg

Also, I found a way to make the front shocks twice as hard while awaiting new, hard shock absorbers:

2012-09-22_19.32.18.jpg

And lastly I implemented a simple 1+N gearbox, just to let the fake engine run while the actual vehicle doewn't!

2012-09-22_19.33.27.jpg

Looking at the thing now, I realize it's extremely wrongly scaled :sceptic: . I think I will dismantle the entire thing, and start more or less from scratch, to make something similar, but smaller, hopefully in the scale of the Technic Minifigs which I found a couple of! :sweet:

Looking at the thing now, I realize it's extremely wrongly scaled :sceptic: . I think I will dismantle the entire thing, and start more or less from scratch, to make something similar, but smaller, hopefully in the scale of the Technic Minifigs which I found a couple of! :sweet:

It still looks awesome though :wink:

New MOC/WIP:

I can't remember to have seen a BV206 or Viking type tracked vehicle made in Lego, except for the B-model of the snow groomer, so I thought I'd try to make one, motorized, and with realistic drive/steering.

And this is my progress after a couple of hours intensive work this morning:

2012-09-27_11.03.36.jpg

As you can see, I need some more track links, and also a couple of more drive sprockets.

It features drive on all four (three) tracks by one PF-XL motor, and steering via a PF-M motor and to small linear actuators.

Haven't decided whether to have the battery box in the front or back yet, if it goes in the back, I'll probably reposition the XL motor to be able to implement seats and a more realistic driver's compartment.

A close up of the steering:

2012-09-27_11.05.02.jpg

The real thing is steered in a similar way, with hydraulic actuators.

I had to use a small turntable to get it to work properly, this function is also still a WIP, but at least it works as it is now!

View of the underside with drivetrain

Edited by D3K

maybe no heagglund, but one kaegglund was made by me

i think you dont need to drive both ends of the tracks on the front parts. the front end of the tracks is enough. or is this only an failure in my optical systems?

Edited by efferman

New MOC/WIP:

I can't remember to have seen a BV206 or Viking type tracked vehicle made in Lego, except for the B-model of the snow groomer, so I thought I'd try to make one, motorized, and with realistic drive/steering.

I don't know if you have seen this before, but Eurobricks member Mahjqa made several versions of that type of vehicle.

Might be interesting for you

mahjqa's photostream

Heh, I didn't really look for similar models, I just couldn't remember having seen them :sweet:

i think you dont need to drive both ends of the tracks on the front parts. the front end of the tracks is enough. or is this only an failure in my optical systems?

When I first looked at the driveline I too thought I mistakenly had put a drive on the rear sprockets of the front cab, but it's just coincidentally in line with them, as this is where the vertical axle from the motor comes down and onto the axle before it is split to go to the front and back.

Have put this project on hold for the moment, as I am working on a new buggy-rod-tractor. Have got a lot of new pieces from bricklink, so I can implement some functions I couldn't earier. Will post pics later! :hmpf:

Track links haven't arrived yet, so the tracked carrier is on hold for the time being..

Luckily, many other parts have indeed arrived, including new steering joints, fake engine cylinders, gears, connectors, liftarms and bricks, so I continued my quest towards vreating a better buggy-rod (I think that's what I'll refer to it as from now on).

Here it is, more or less complete and in working condition!

2012-10-03_04.34.55.jpg

A lot of improvements, most notably to the aestethics and overall scale of the thing, but also vastly improved steering due to new ball joints, and stiffer shocks

The only thing identical to the first version, is the actual hood, but here I've had to make a hole for the steering motor, which doubles as a fake supercharger of sorts... Also, a full V8 engine! Finally!

View from the front. Finally found a place to use my PF lights!

2012-10-03_04.33.55.jpg

View of the interior. Seats are more or less in scale with the rest og=f the vehicle this time around. Went for a racing bucket style type

Drivetrain and bottom

2012-10-03_04.37.54.jpg

Rear suspension and differential setup. Used bevel gears instead of universal joints this time to get through the turntabble. Not sure if it was necessary. THis is the main part that I think I'll have to redo, but it was getting late, and I needed to sleep! :ugh:

So what do you think?

Edited by D3K

Got some portal axle hubs from BrickLink yesterday, so had to try it out. THe geometry is maybe a bit weird, but it raises the ground clearance, which was needed due to the placement of the XL motor (see last post).

Also, put in a U-joint instead of the bevel gear setup, as it was slipping.

2012-10-11_18.05.49.jpg

And you are ofcourse right!

I am trying to recreate the 8868 Airtech Claw Rig in studless!

The three main goals I have for this project are

1. To keep the original functions as they were on the 8868

2. To make it look like a "new" set (in the same style as the sets coming out these days)

3. To still make it instantly recognizable as the legendary Airtech Claw RIg

Made some progress the last couple of hours:

2012-10-21_22.52.50.jpg

2012-10-21_22.53.05.jpg

On a roll now, probably won't get much sleep tonight :sweet:

On a roll now, probably won't get much sleep tonight :sweet:

The lack of sleep always improves one's building abilities :laugh: . Good luck, it looks great so far.

tim

The lack of sleep always improves one's building abilities :laugh: . Good luck, it looks great so far.

tim

Indeed, it does! But unfortunately I have to go and get educated early in the morning, so I think I'll call it the day now..

This is the current state of things:

2012-10-22_02.55.01.jpg

Been working some more on it today:

2012-10-22_22.00.04.jpg

Also, from the back:

2012-10-22_22.00.34.jpg

I know the original 8868 did not have mudguards (or whatever it's called) on the rear wheels, but I really liked the way these turned out, so I left them on.

Anyways, here's a picture without them:

2012-10-22_22.00.59.jpg

And lastly, I've been adding some seats and a steering wheel, as well as the steps to get up into the truck (under the valves), and also the white things on the sides of the hood and the white vertical exhaust pipes.

2012-10-22_22.02.37.jpg

FUN FACT:

All the white parts I've used (the exhaust pipes, fuel tank and hood thingies) are from the actual 8868 set I got about 20 years ago!!

Also, the reason I am doing this particular build now, is I found the instructions manual in the back of a closet here the other day! :laugh:

Edited by D3K

The project is finished

2012-10-23_12.44.53.jpg

2012-10-23_12.46.34.jpg

View from the front:

2012-10-23_12.45.12.jpg

Without the grille and fender. You can see the setup for the fake V6 is siilar to the original.

2012-10-23_12.49.50.jpg

Bottom view, drivetrain and pneumatic system

2012-10-23_12.47.36.jpg

Driver's cabin (with driver)

2012-10-23_12.48.24.jpg

Placement of the compressor system (under the cabin)

2012-10-23_12.52.05.jpg

Finally, a video of the truck:

I have the 8053 Mobile Crane, and love the chassis of that model, but the crane part seemed not so well thought out (except for the gearbox, which is brilliant).

I have drooled over the 8421 for some time, because of the great looking three stage crane, but I really don't like the chassis of the model!

Recently I had the chance to buy an 8421 reasonably cheap, but decided not to (I instead bought an 8455, even cheaper!!). But I always wanted to make at least the crane part of the huge model!

So I though; what if both cranes, 8421 and 8053 had a love child? Take the best parts of both parents, and make something great?

Well, here goes:

2012-11-02_11.28.55.jpg

2012-11-02_11.28.22.jpg

I don't have the pneumatic cylinder coupler brackets, so I instead used old, flat bottomed, cylinders. Also, just one pair seemed a little weak, so I put two in.

I also had to redesign the rear of the superstructure to better accomodate the PF battery box and XL motor, as I do not have a buggy motor or yellow battery box either.

2012-11-02_11.35.55.jpg

Anyways, I'm pretty pleased with the result!

The crane might look a little big, but I don't think it is TOO big! :sweet:

2012-11-02_11.31.33.jpg

2012-11-02_11.31.04.jpg

WOW, that is a beautiful "love child" 8421+8053 hybrid mobile crane! :thumbup: Do you plan on making a video of it in action?