Walter Kovacs

[WIP] UCS TIE Variants (All of Them)

I've been away for a little while (again), but I've been busily working on some designs for my UCS TIE project.

First up is a model I had been avoiding for a long while, the iconic standard TIE Fighter.

fighter.png

Overall I really like this design, but the cockpit ball could use some work. It's decidedly more curved than any other TIE I've done, but is a bit too cylindrical, as opposed to spherical like it should be. I really don't like the sloped method used by TLG in the official TIE Interceptor and TIE Advanced, and this curved method allows for a SNOTed pylon, which I really like a lot.

Once the venerable TIE Fighter was done, it opened up a lot of variations on the theme. Like the TIE Experimental M1.

m1.png

And the TIE Experimental M2.

m2.png

And once I had started doing TIE Experimentals, I just had to do all of them.

TIE Experimental M3

m3.png

TIE Experimental M4

m4.png

TIE Experimental M5

m5.png

And then I realized that the M3 was the perfect starting point for the Emporer's Royal Guard Interceptor

royal_guard_interceptor.png

Next came one of my favorite TIE variants, the Lancet Aerial Bombardment.

lancet_2.png

Needing a break from the starfighters, I next moved on to the TIE AP-1, also known as the TIE Mauler.

ap-1.png

And that led into the Century Tank, or TIE Crawler.

crawler.png

I did a few of the odd-ball shaped TIEs next, the TIE Lambda

lambda.png

and the TIE Raptor.

raptor.png

At this point I returned to the standard TIE variants, starting with the TIE Fire Control.

fire.png

Followed by the TIE Reconnaissance,

recon.png

and the TIE Ground Targeting.

ground.png

Next up is one of the more unique shaped TIEs, the TIE Scout.

scout.png

Then for something completely different, the TIE Neutralizer.

neutralizer.png

It was finally time to tackle the Bomber variants, starting with the TIE Electronic Warfare.

elec.png

Then came the TIE Heavy Bomber

heavy.png

the TIE Interdictor

interdictor.png

the TIE Hammer

hammer.png

and finally the TIE Lander

lander.png

The Lander needed two renders, just to shhow off the landing skids I had designed.

lander_skids.png

The TIE Shadow Squadron was next on my radar.

shadow_squad.png

After that came the TIE Sentinel

sentinel.png

Then I finished up the Standard TIE variants with the TIE Vanguard

vanguard.png

and 'completed' the TIE project with the Nsiss Chiss-Class Clawcraft.

nsiss-class_chiss_clawcraft.png

I say 'completed' because, even though I've created a model for every variant I intend to, there is always room to improve them.

So I looked at the older models I had made, and realized that they didn't age well next to the new methods I was using now. So I set about re-designing them.

First was the TIE Bomber

bomber.png

the TIE Boarding Craft

boarding.png

and the TIE Shuttle.

shuttle.png

The TIE Predator got a cockpit update, but I couldn't find a combination of slopes that I liked for the wings, so the old design has to do.

predator.png

The trio of the TIE Clutch

clutch.png

TIE Phantom

phantom.png

and TIE Shadow

shadow.png

received updates, though the main hulls remained from the old versions.

The last five all received complete make-overs, starting with the TIE Hunter.

hunter.png

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a mechanism to make the wings open and close.

Then came the TIE Avenger

avenger.png

TIE Aggressor

aggressor.png

TIE Oppressor

oppressor.png

and last but not least, the TIE Torpedo Bomber

torpedo.png

The only two original models that have not gotten a facelift are the Scimitar Bomber

scimitar.png

and the TIE Droid

droid.png

The Droid's wing angle makes it very difficult to brick-build the wings while keeping the pylons from looking like crap warmed over. The Scimitar's complex wing design doesn't lend itself readily to a brick-built design, and the hull I am extremely happy with.

None of these new designs have been built yet. I believe I have ordered all of the parts for my interpretation of the TIE Defender. Stay tuned, as soon as the parts arrive I will begin construction.

If you have questions or comments, or want different views from some of the models, feel free to ask.

What no TIE Advance or standard TIE Interceptor, rubbish I refuse to look at any more...

:grin:

At the moment I'm lost for words :wub_drool:.

Wow, that sure is an impressive collection you've got there.. I've been working on a TIE Bomber for the last couple of weeks and can't really get it the way I want. Yours looks amazing though. Really nice work (on all the models). :)

Walter! :wub: Great to see you back and building. :thumbup:

I'm not the biggest TIE fan in the world, but these look superb - I'm looking forward to seeing one in real brick. I admire your patience building all these digitally! Which software do you use?

Dude, these are AWESOME! My favs have to be the Royal Guard Interceptor, TIE Raptor and the Chiss Clawcraft. Perfectly executed. :thumbup:

This is pretty unique. I've seldom seen such an extended series of high quality builds. You succeeded in giving each TIE its own look and feel,while still keeping it a TIE. It's great to see you didn't take a lot of shortcuts and made every iteration like it was your first one. I highly applaud this.

The result is quite stunning. All of these models are beautifully shaped, and there are some really nice details. Here are still a few details that bother me however. Like the fact the regular TIE (and all models based on it) lacks a top hatch with the distinctive patern on it. The greebles on the wings seem to prominent to me, and the pylons do not seem very accurate. Also, the top of the tubes of models like the TIE bomber seem quite bland. Isn't there supposed to be any detailing on those? Also, I think you're right about your cockpits not being round enough. But I've been working on a UCS TIE fighter myself, and have experienced how hard it is to get it right.

That's why I appreciate these models even more. I congratulate you on all of them. Also, I'm very curious about what you will tackle next. I don't suppose there are any TIE's left?

I knew that there are plenty of TIE variants but this big variety is just making manly tears :wub: . i really like all of them and they look very accurate, also the Chiss Clawcraft is the most beautiful spaceship in (and outside of) the whole SW universe. Congratilations, it's clearly noticeable thath you had plenty of job designing these!

Edited by Csacsa234

I started scrolling down, went huh these are cool I've never heard of most of these, and they are done so well!

And then I kept going, and going, and going. These must have taken an incredible amount of work! Sure, they're all TIEs but they all seem to have their own style and design each seeming to have in it many of hours of thought and work! Brilliant!

I started off with the TIE Fighter, which is awesomely built, and goes on to the many other crafts, each of which has its own beauty.

Favorites: Neutralizer, Sentinel, Chiss, Oppressor and Scimitar

What no TIE Advance or standard TIE Interceptor, rubbish I refuse to look at any more...

:grin:

At the moment I'm lost for words :wub_drool:.

I made a decision very early when I started doing the TIEs that I wouldn't remake anything TLG had already made. Despite that, I do have an Interceptor, albeit in a red color scheme. MAybe I'll take a stab at the TIE Advanced in the future.

Walter! :wub: Great to see you back and building. :thumbup:

I'm not the biggest TIE fan in the world, but these look superb - I'm looking forward to seeing one in real brick. I admire your patience building all these digitally! Which software do you use?

I use MLCad for the design and POV-Ray for the rendering.

Real brick versions are coming. I promise. They're just coming... slowly.

And I was beginning to wonder whether you've stopped your UCS TIE projects.

Welcome back!

AC

These all look great!

I do recognise some of EAW, like that Lancet bomber.

Did you just make many of those designs up, or are they all based on an "actual" Tie?

You missed one. TIE Defender

tiedefender.jpg

LOL, I had to post it.

Very well done on your variants.

The%20Complete%20collection%20of%20TIES.jpg

P.S. Tie Star Cruiser.

Edited by Rexworth

These all look great!

I do recognise some of EAW, like that Lancet bomber.

Did you just make many of those designs up, or are they all based on an "actual" Tie?

I found all of them online. All but the TIE Torpedo Bomber and TIE Lambda can be found in Wookiepedia. The other two can be found at Galactic Voyage. There are a few other TIE variants, but they are all fan created, and tend to have descriptions like ".... is faster than a TIE Defender, but has heavier shields and more weapons...." I didn't really feel like building models based on some teenager stroking his ego.

Wookiepedia does list some additional variants, but none of them have any pictures to go off of, so I skipped those as well.

You missed one. TIE Defender

tiedefender.jpg

LOL, I had to post it.

Very well done on your variants.

You mean this one? :wink:

I am waiting on three more BL orders, and then I shall start on the TIE Defender. I'll be sure to post real brick photos when it's finished.

You mean this one? :wink:

I am waiting on three more BL orders, and then I shall start on the TIE Defender. I'll be sure to post real brick photos when it's finished.

Yep!

Another nice build, so far.

I found all of them online. All but the TIE Torpedo Bomber and TIE Lambda can be found in Wookiepedia. The other two can be found at Galactic Voyage. There are a few other TIE variants, but they are all fan created, and tend to have descriptions like ".... is faster than a TIE Defender, but has heavier shields and more weapons...." I didn't really feel like building models based on some teenager stroking his ego.

Wookiepedia does list some additional variants, but none of them have any pictures to go off of, so I skipped those as well.

That's what I thought about most of them, thanks!

I guess it is now safe to say that most of the designs look stupid and uninspirational, some just don't make sense.

Why just not upgrading the standard tie without exterior changes?

Those are awesome! But jeez, are they all canon? I'm so far out of the loop these days with Star Wars- haven't really been into it since Episode 3 came out. Mind-boggling.

HI, new kid here. I have at least 76, maybe 77 questions 4 u, but will start with one. Please tell me what element/s you are using as the windscreen/canopy on most of these Tie craft, part #s would be VERY appreciated! I have been throwing lots of time, $ (bricklink holds the mortgage to my soul at this point) and effort at designing a quality tie cockpit module for a few diff Tie models. Thanks in advance!