The German BR119 was developed in 1937 by AEG, Siemens Schuckertwerke. At that time it was the most powerful electric locomotive in it's time.

With the outbreak of world war 2 these engines couldn't be tested and developed further and speeds where then limited to 140km/h to keep them in use.

The engines were really reliable and have been used up to 1968. Many liveries of this engine excist, I choose the dark blue livery with red wheels which I think really stands out. I really love these old electric locomotives with their big wheels and huge pantographs.

First of a picture of the real engine;

28871187032_79cd2eac44_b.jpg

And my version (in the picture it somehow looks shorter then it really is);

28943711946_0cc6a184fa_b.jpg

Making the sloped front with the 3 windows was not that easy;

28359498153_5277c53596_b.jpg

I choose to add the wind shield wipers to make it less plain, if only there were dark blue levers;

28943711756_4d9309a934_b.jpg

Detail on the roof and pantographs;

28871186872_9208c18936_b.jpg

Apart from some rigid hose the model does not have cut or painted parts, for me this was really a must. I used some old 12V Lego stickers to add the logo's and numbers. Due to the complexity of the build it does not have an engine or lights (yet). I suppose our resident train experts would find this an easy task, but for me this is still challenging. The idea is to ad 3 coaches in the same livery, one of these will have two 9V motors.

So there you have it, I hope you like it!

What an excellent MOC! You've captured the looks of this old beauty really well. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And I agree that blue with red wheels is the most elegant of the different liveries.

I like your solution for the streamlined front ends - it's amazing! The pantographs and the electric equipment on the roof look very good, too.

Great MOC and excellent work on the ends capturing the curved detail. Always a challenge with Lego but you have succeeded here.

I agree with Tenderlok, the pantographs are quite nice! I haven't been 100% happy with the pantographs on my New Haven electrics, so I may borrow this design for at least my EP-3. The others will get them if I can find a large number of minifig hooks...

This is an amazing looking train, must say that electric locs with large drivers always have that bit extra :).

(I might have to make my own version of this based on yours for my own layout)

Really lovely train. I like the color and details on it. That older trains are beauties... :)

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

If I may add one thing: I was going trough pictures on google of these trains, and it seems to me that the color sheme you chose was only for the 118 series, and not the 119. To my understanding, the only difference between the two series was the motors used to have a higher top speed on the 119.

If I may add one thing: I was going trough pictures on google of these trains, and it seems to me that the color sheme you chose was only for the 118 series, and not the 119.

I think you're pointing to the red wheels...

It's often hard to tell from pictures whether the wheels are painted black, or simply dirty. But at least on one occasion, an exhibition in Munich celebrating 100 years of electric traction, one of the 119s actually had red wheels:

http://www.bundesbahnzeit.de/galerien/E19%20-%20Die%20Nuernberger%20Edelhirsche/jpg-Bilder/b35-E19%2012.jpg

Yes, there are so many variaties, it drove me nuts haha! Apart from the engines there are more differences between the E18 and E19; the roof, lights and arrangement of the ventilation rosters.

Only 4 of these locomotives were build AFAIK. I don't know if they ran regular service with this color combo... The 18 series sure did :).

Only 4 of these locomotives were build AFAIK. I don't know if they ran regular service with this color combo... The 18 series sure did :).

To be honest, all photos I could find showing blue 118s with red wheels were of museum locomotives or exhibitions, too... :wink:

But at least, it's not impossible that both classes ran in regular service with these colours. And hey, we're talking about a beautiful MOC - and I think that it's totally ok to build a model with a livery which is not 100% authenticated, but at least possible.

Not sure if my Hohenzollern 0-6-0T ever had a green livery, btw... :wink:

You could make it with Black wheels, I Just love these red ones. I did think up a few small mods to make it cooler, and I redid the wheel arrangement to negotiate standard Lego corners (I'm not 100% happy about how it runs yet). I see a version 2 coming soon.B-)

Suggestions are welcome and I'd like to hear your thoughts about making the vents 2 tiles high instead of 3 (3 is actual scale, but 2 might look slightly bdtter and I can lower the whole thing by 1 plate making the placement of the lights more accurate...).

Oh and thank you all for the compliments, I really appreciate it!

You could make it with Black wheels, I Just love these red ones.

So do I...

Suggestions are welcome and I'd like to hear your thoughts about making the vents 2 tiles high instead of 3 (3 is actual scale, but 2 might look slightly bdtter and I can lower the whole thing by 1 plate making the placement of the lights more accurate...).

I think the vents would look too small if you made them 2 tiles high. The loco's sides would look too smooth, either.

As for the postioning of the lights: Couldn't you place the white stripe 1 plate higher, at the same time making black what is now white (hope you know what I mean...)?

By doing so, there would be more black above the buffers, as in the prototype photo, and the lights would come closer to the white stripe.

I understand your concern. I thought it might work because the edge of the grille tile would still make a thin blue line between the stripe and the lowest vent opening.

Don't know if it would look good in reality, I admit.

Don't get me wrong, I think this one of the best renditions of german E locs I have seen thus far, loving it for every single brick ;).

It just struck me that I could not find a single blue/red 119 in regular service on google.

This is fantastically built. I was very impressed by the use of parts, particularly the use of the hook pieces along with those rod pieces and ski's those small details just make this moc phenomenal.