Mariann Asanuma

Review: 7594 Woody's Round Up

Despite the rainy weather here, I happened to go to LEGOLAND California today. Much to my happy surprise I saw that they were putting out 5 Toy Story Sets. I couldn't afford to get them all, but one that I did get was Woody's Round Up. And, as I have yet to see a review on it, I decided to do one of my own.

Cover of Box

4180253963_cb57ec70d4.jpg

Back of Box

4180254589_a631fae2a4.jpg

Close Up of Figures

4181017662_b9780ecd85.jpg

All the parts bagged up

4180255789_dd77759dc1.jpg

Close Up of Actual Figures -- Although they come preassembled you can take them apart except for the hats on their heads. The arms and legs (3 studs long) are longer, but the torso is standard size. I like them, but when you put Woody next to Buzz, he seems really tall.

4180256453_a3cc2b839b.jpg

Much to my annoyance -- Sticker Sheet

4180257107_7515f2f26e.jpg

Figures Assembled -- One thing I forgot to take pictures of was the back of Woody and Stinky Pete. They both have printed on backs.

4181020046_7111bb28ba.jpg

I was happy to see that Bullseye can actually move his legs :thumbup: His saddle, which I like the cactus design on the side, doesn't come off though.

4181021276_74e7dfeb1a_m.jpg

Random Instruction page

4181022374_822cc52c2c.jpg

The complete set, sorry I don't put stickers on

4181022904_ab6c513692.jpg

Stinky Pete's Mine -- sorry for such a dark picture

4181023384_1b4758d597.jpg

Built Cactus with Stinky Pete

4180262441_b90e8b45ed.jpg

Front of Jail -- just pretend I put the stickers on the 2x4 grey tiles :laugh:

4180263013_c89cdcceaf.jpg

Sheriff's Office (sorry about the dark picture)

4180263529_b7b9299007.jpg

Side of Sheriff's Office -- I really like the Med. Blue Windows in this set

4181026888_00c1c20c98.jpg

Back of Sheriff's Office -- Not much to it, but it does have a safe with 3 money tiles

4181027378_a77819ae66.jpg

Back of the Jail -- It has a lever on the side so the wall "breaks" out

4180266275_ae120a6470.jpg

Side of Jail -- You can see the turn mechanism for the lever

4180266655_92accbff7e.jpg

Price of set: $49.99

Pros:

Great new figures -- I like the way they did Woody, Stinky Pete, and Bullseye. Jessie is okay, but it isn't as good looking as the other 3.

Great amounts of parts -- I knew I wanted this set, what I didn't count on was all the great parts that come in it. There are medium blue windows, lots of dk. brown tiles, 4 of the new 2x4 tiles, 4 of the 1x2 cheese wedges, nice amounts of tan plates, and the large dark tan plates are a nice bonus.

Cons:

Stickers instead of printed elements. I picked up Buzz and Woody to the Rescue today too and I was happy to see that the RC car and rocket elements were printed on so I expected that this one would have printed elements too.

Playability: 10 out of 10 -- For kids this would be a great set. At $50 the price isn't too high, you get 4 figures (3 of them only in this set so far) and you actually have a play set for the figures to play in (something that some of the newer LEGO sets have been lacking).

I would highly recommend this set as a must have, even if you are not a Toy Story fan just so that you could get all the great parts. :thumbup:

You can see close ups of all the pictures on my Flickr Photostream.

Edited by Mariann Asanuma

Thanks 'Mariann Asanuma' for this review of this AWESOME - FANTASTIC - EXCELENT SET ! :wub:

This one was already on the shopping list, I will be putting stickers on it (personal choice I guess).

Bullseye can move his front and back pairs of legs - SWEET ! :wub:

Great western style buildings, they might take some AFOL's back 15 years ago to the old western themed Lego.

Once again thank you for a great review. :sweet:

Thanks for the review Mariann! It's great to see the set close up!

there are some great new pieces in the set but the set doesnt really interest me that much. The minifigs are alright, they arent the most iconic toy story characters. The mine, office and jail look alright but dont change my opinion on the set. I will probably skip picking this one up.

Great review!

can Woddy bend his legs like any other minifigure?

can you take of his legs torso and head?

Thanks for the review Mariann!

Great to finally see some good pictures of the entire set and figs.

Personally not a set I will get, because I dont like those figs. Think they are to 4+ for me.

But sure a great set for the younger, or Western guys out there.

Thanks, Mariann.

Nice review.

Strange that the figures come ready assembled. Someone noted this about another of the Toy Story sets they'd bought. Is this a reflection of the anticipated younger audience for these sets or something else I wonder ?

I'm still not convinced by this theme overall, although I confess that I'd love a Buzz minifig !

Cheers,

Dr. D.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it me or are the arms of Woody and Jessie really a bit longer compared to a normal minifig? The Stinky Pete torso is a normal one with standard sized arms, right?

2. Is it possible to disassemble the pre-assembled figs or are they glued together one-offs?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered elsewhere.

Thanks for the great review!

I'm not into the TS figs, but the part selection in this set looks really good! Lot's of usable bricks in nice colors and those light-blue window frames are really neat. Thanks for the early review.

Wow!What a great set!I must buy it(other toy story are good too,i think).

Hi does bulleyes saddle come off? I would be dissapointed by that factor but looking at him it looks like its molded on.

and it looks like a really nice set. I would wait till they come out more I defiantly want to get some of woodys legs.

I need some tall people in my mini fig collection.

Thanks for the GREAT review. I'll definitely get this set. Even though there's no Buzz in it (which is reasonable since it's a set of cow boy elements), with Woody and Bullseye, it's already a classic. Plus, I love the background the the box. It's light blue and the beautiful clouds. I love the wallpaper. Andy must be a really happy kid. :classic:

It looks like LEGO is reverting back to older days with poorly constructed sets that lack any sense of unity. The jail, mine and Sheriff's office seem haphazardly placed, as if they asked a child to build something and accepted it as a final product. And these minifigs seem to stray too far from traditional design, especially Bullseye.

Just take a step back and look at this set objectively. Better yet, imagine this was a moc. Pretty mediocre by today's higher standard in LEGO.

Edited by Uncle

Thanks so much for the review Mariann! :classic:

Compared to other $50 sets these days, this is great! You get some very detailed minifigures and Bullseye and some useful new or recolored parts (the first 1 x 2 light bley cheese slopes [!], 2 x 4 tiles in brown and light bley, etc)!

I don't like how plain the interiors are though. I would have liked to at least get a bed or toilet in the jail, and a desk in the sheriff's office. :sceptic:

But overall it looks like a splendid set and I just might have to buy it if I have any extra spending money leftover or if it goes on sale!

can Woddy bend his legs like any other minifigure?

can you take of his legs torso and head?

You can bend his legs and arms and the head is removable, but the hats are stuck on to the heads (not sure if the hat is a separate piece or a one piece mold with the head).
Strange that the figures come ready assembled. Someone noted this about another of the Toy Story sets they'd bought. Is this a reflection of the anticipated younger audience for these sets or something else I wonder ?
Unfortunately they are preassembled and bagged because the minifigures are made in China, because of all that detailed printing they have to do on the legs, heads, etc. They have a lower quality plastic, judging from Pugsly's review of Woody and Buzz to the Rescue. :sceptic:
I have 2 questions:

1. Is it me or are the arms of Woody and Jessie really a bit longer compared to a normal minifig? The Stinky Pete torso is a normal one with standard sized arms, right?

2. Is it possible to disassemble the pre-assembled figs or are they glued together one-offs?

1. Yes, they are - they come with longer legs and arms. :wink:

2. I think that they can be disassembled, but the hats are stuck onto the head.

Edited by ILikePi

1. Yes, they are - they come with longer legs and arms. :wink:

2. I think that they can be disassembled, but the hats are stuck onto the head.

Yes, you can take the figures apart just like regular minifigs. The hats are stuck to the head unfortunately and Bullseye's (the horse) saddle is also stuck on.

Wow this set is a disappointment!

- Stickers!

- Two shades of brown

- Big pieces

- Low quality figs

- Hats don't come off

- No interior

The reason to buy this set to me would be the cute little horsey!

Great review! I like the horse, but the other figs are just okay. The set itself looks very fun to play with, as you said :thumbup:

Thanks for the early review Mariann A. I really applaud LEGO for creating a licensed Western set. At the same time, I do wish that the minifigs were more along the standard height, especially the horse. The jail doors will certainly be nice for a saloon. I like the medium blue windows as well. Some interesting aspects, although it's definately not Wild West (at least not in the classic LEGO form).

Your review is very nice, but I don't like the set very much. It reminds me a lot of the 4+ sets (although there's obviously more smaller pieces here, but the minifigs are very Jack Stone-like). It's almost like 4+ version of Wild West theme, just like we had those terrible 4+ Pirates once. I loved the Toy Story movies but the idea of Toy Story Lego doesn't appeal to me that much.

Edited by Dreamweb