Sign in to follow this  
snefroe

promising MOC!

That is a promising MOC. I want to see if they will use custom sails or brick/plate built sails. Fantastic start for sure.

Too big. There is a point when a MOC is so big, impressive though it may be, that it is not worth building.

Instead of spending all that money and time on one thing, that can barely be moved, and took so much effort (time and money) that you don't want to touch it ever again, you could build 10 other small cool ones that can be moved, modified, played with.

It's an example of your eyes being bigger than your stomach (or your wallet).

However, when he finally gives up..... I'll buy 5% of those browns off him.... at a "fair" price. :biggrin:

Well I really dont care if it is too big, it is absolutley fantasticly wondefully beatiful. Most amazing ship I have ever seen by far! And it looks so realistic, I think though it may be a tad bit too big. But man o man is it amazing!

Too big. There is a point when a MOC is so big, impressive though it may be, that it is not worth building.

Instead of spending all that money and time on one thing, that can barely be moved, and took so much effort (time and money) that you don't want to touch it ever again, you could build 10 other small cool ones that can be moved, modified, played with.

It's an example of your eyes being bigger than your stomach (or your wallet).

However, when he finally gives up..... I'll buy 5% of those browns off him.... at a "fair" price. :biggrin:

sure, it's big, and sure that makes it difficult to even give it a decent place, but on the other hand, you finally have the room to go into details, you'll finally be able to build a kitchen, cabins for officers, an armory... i can't wait to see this MOC completed.

i'm also wondering how he's going to solve a couple of things, like how is he going to deal with the curves of the hull? and as Suvie said, what is he going to do with the sails?

i think that the bigger a moc the better as long as it is good. this shows talent, and it may be a personal goal to build a ship that is actual the right size compared to a person including everything(like it is for me). I love this ship. cant wait until it is done

Why do you say its too big, Mr Gylman?

Well, for the reasons as stated.

You build something that takes you months or a year or more. You spend several thousand dollars on the project. It's so big that you can't take anywhere to shows, and can't really move once you have displayed it somewhere in your home. And there, after a few weeks of excitment and pride, oohs and Aahs from family and friends, it sits.

And sits. And sits, gathering dust.

You look at it now and again, but basically it comes a great big dust collector.

You are afraid to let anyone play with it, because it was so much work to do.

You are afraid to take it apart and use the pieces for something else, or sell them to raise money for something else, for the same reason.

During the same time, instead of doing one thing, you can do a variety of smaller jobs, explore different projects = a forest, a castle, a few vigs, enter a context or two.... And, when they have been done, it's much easier to photograph and disassemble.

I don't want to sound so maudlin, and obviously this person is doing something very impressive. No doubt it will be spectacular when done, and we will all look at the pics and go OOH AAHH, and then we will move on to the next amazing MOC, while this guy will have 100 lb of blocks sitting in his living room for the next 3 years until either his dog kills or his wife kills it.

Well, for the reasons as stated.

You build something that takes you months or a year or more. You spend several thousand dollars on the project. It's so big that you can't take anywhere to shows, and can't really move once you have displayed it somewhere in your home. And there, after a few weeks of excitment and pride, oohs and Aahs from family and friends, it sits.

And sits. And sits, gathering dust.

You look at it now and again, but basically it comes a great big dust collector.

You are afraid to let anyone play with it, because it was so much work to do.

You are afraid to take it apart and use the pieces for something else, or sell them to raise money for something else, for the same reason.

During the same time, instead of doing one thing, you can do a variety of smaller jobs, explore different projects = a forest, a castle, a few vigs, enter a context or two.... And, when they have been done, it's much easier to photograph and disassemble.

I don't want to sound so maudlin, and obviously this person is doing something very impressive. No doubt it will be spectacular when done, and we will all look at the pics and go OOH AAHH, and then we will move on to the next amazing MOC, while this guy will have 100 lb of blocks sitting in his living room for the next 3 years until either his dog kills or his wife kills it.

But there's just something so much more satisfying about something like that, as opposed to 10 smaller projects...

Well.... Personaly, dreaming of the ever more perfect ever bigger MOC is what keeps me building... I am always building a section of my pefect MOC (which would be huge). I have plans for numerous large models I don't have anything like the collection to build, waiting around. But in defence of the large MOC:

-Cliffton was up for about 2 weeks, Turner's cross for a month and a bit do to a camera problem. Both are larger (though not as skillful) as the ship pictured. Niethher gathered much dust before I was reusing the pieces.

-I oohed and awed and took apart fairly quickly

-After taking pics I let several kids (fam and friends) run wild over both Mocs

-A large MOC IS a variety of small ones. And, personally, I think MOCs look better next to each other, for example in this this pic the building is my personal best ever small tudor shop.. but it looks much better in the context of the street...

-Not all large MOCs are made of custom ordered/never useable again pieces... that's the beauty of Lego.. you can always recycle it!

God Bless,

Nathan

-Cliffton was up for about 2 weeks, Turner's cross for a month and a bit do to a camera problem. Both are larger (though not as skillful) as the ship pictured. Niethher gathered much dust before I was reusing the pieces.

-I oohed and awed and took apart fairly quickly

-After taking pics I let several kids (fam and friends) run wild over both Mocs

Nathan

Ur a better man than I. I don't have the heart to take big mocs apart, even medium ones are a battle. It usually requires some crisis to make them go down.

This sounds quite painful for you Mr Glyman! What happens then, you keep almost every large and medium you create and buy more pieces so you can avoid destroying them?

This sounds quite painful for you Mr Glyman! What happens then, you keep almost every large and medium you create and buy more pieces so you can avoid destroying them?

Not quite so pathological, but it's bad enough. Eventually I realize the futility of keeping a 3000 part MOC on the shelf gathering dust, but it is very painful to take it down. Usually I have to build something new to replace the old one before I take the old one apart. In the last 2 years I have typically built something big every 4-6 months

I'm just planning my next one now - I was going to make it a Robin Hood vs Prince John battle scene, castle on one side, forest on the other, and battle on the plains in front of the castle, 4 baseplates, but in the last couple of weeks my interest has turned to home decor.

The one thing that helps me take down the big MOCs is replacing the pieces into my bins, and watching my stocks fill up again. I like that feeling.

But I never built anything nearly as ambitious as this ship. I can't imagine taking down something like that after spending all that time to build it. At least not for a very long time. I also wouldn't want to spend so much time on a single thing. I find that towards the end of any MOC I kinda wanna be done with it, do something new, and its a bit of a drag putting the finishing touches on it, even though the last 5% of building makes 50% of the look.

Oh, and as for buying more parts.... it seems I do that constantly. At some point they will find my dead body crushed under lego pieces. Can't help it, just keep finding pieces I gotta have - don't even use them most of the time.

Yes, I know, it's all pretty insane. But, with regular psychotherapy and strong drugs I am improving :biggrin:

Gyl

like Nathan, i also love to build big MOCs, building big is part of the challenge. it challenges you to find new solutions for new problems you encounter. as a kid i very often started with a modest sized MOc, when that turned out to be a succes, i just started modifying and enlarging the MOCs. However, most mocs didn't survive one day, except for the real good ones, they usually lasted a week or so. the dynamics behind it was that i just wanted to see wether this or that could "work", i wanted to see if there were flaws in designs i'd thought of... that's all. My nephew used to build 1 moc and keep it that way for at least a year. I never understood how you could do that.

I think i've changed just a little bit in the way how i approach lego mocs, now that i'm out of the dark age. if i look around in my house, i actualy see a few mocs/sets that are several months old. i guess it's because i see lego in different light compared to my childhood years; Lego is no longer a toy you play with, it's become more like the plastic model kits some adults love to build.

To be fair I should state the #1 flaw with large MOCs (in my limited experience of 2 ; ) is sorting the parts back into bins when you're done...

God Bless,

Nathan

he finished his big ship, it seems:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=166440

i have to say that i'm a bit disappointed. the masts don't look very well; the castle looks a little bit out balance, i was also hoping for a highly detaled castle and bow but ... hm...

there is hardly any rope on this ship even tho a ship this size should have lots of them...

I agree this is a little dissapointing. So much potential. :(

It has some great details but it looks like they rushed the end just to get it finished.

It is still nice but not great. Nothing I would want to display. Might be nice in a game of Evil Steve's though.

Super Phes? HEH??? What you smoking there Lord Viking I/II?

Super Phes is the oppposite of our own Phes... he represents the helpful wing of the inquisition.

God Bless,

Nathan

You guys have your own Phes? You must be so priveleged! Maybe one day I'll be able to get my own Phes.

By the way, which wing was the helpful wing of the Inquistion - the one that assisted tribes such as the Tlaxcaltecas wipe out the Aztecs? That was very helpful to them indeed!

Super Phes, comes with transforming power to go into alternate mode... Albino Seal! He comes with 5 ALL NEW phrases, which include- "Don't hurt me... I am a little seal." and "The Inquisition will kill you!" It even has chopping action; it can even cut through wood! HAYA! And it can even fly! Super Phes even comes with his own cape! It also includes a bat for the seal, a cannon, a cutlass and BoBo the Monkey (as seen in episode 89 of The Super Phes). And for a limited time only you can get him for the low low price of $69.99! (normally $70.00) Only at participating stores Get him now so you are not a loner while all your friends are playing with theirs! Does not actually fly or cut wood, made in China, so don't expect it to last long without breaking. May be fatal if eaten internally, keep out of reach of children under the age of 3.

Also, collect Phes Albino Seal that transforms into Super Phes! And Super Phes Pirate Monkey Island(as seen in episode 24 of Super Phes Returns)! Go know before it is sold out!

That's lame I got last years Super Phes and all he had was interchangable hand an hook parts. I got ripped. :mad: As a bonus to living in the United States I was able to get him on clearance for 50% off plus a 20% coupon plus a free Gibbles the monkey island monkey chieftain plushy toy. It pays to live in the US when buying toys. :wink:

I wonder if I should go find the remains of my Super Phes' melted body or just buy the new one and play mutiny on the high sea again. :-D