Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Train Town 5

My 5th version of Train Town introduces my newly acquired Town Plan, with Cafe Corner, and Farm. I must say that this simple layout is among my personal favorite so far having lots of "swoosh" room. I was also able to squeeze in the Farm set, one of the items that I lost in a previous design. What I did loose, however, is the old classic Main Street that I still haven't taken apart, but not much room to squeeze it in. Also, the style is quite a bit different (and smaller) than that of the new Town Plan. I also lost room for additional trains only having the one switch track near the back, which leads into the train engine shed.

So, here's the new pictures:

traintown5.jpg

Complete Layout (it looks small in this picture, but a lot larger in real life)

tt5-1.jpg

Town Square (I don't think that Town Plan looks bad next to the Cafe Corner at all).

tt5-2.jpg

Town Plan gas station next to Cafe Corner (not bad either)

tt5-3.jpg

The small farm on the East side of town (also space for some forklifts and train cargo)

This simple layout took me quite a bit of time, but I'm please with the final outcome.

This layout I think is your best one yet :thumbup:

I find it hard to mix timeless classics like Main street with the newer stuff

Mostly because building styles have changed, very much like LEGO cars vary, (why can't there just be one :grin: )

The farm is a nice addition, you wouldn't happen to have that wind turbine truck set? That would look cool in there

Once again we see the smaller family farms are being crowded by the large city development :laugh:

Only suggestion or improvement I have would be to consider adding green baseplates under all the rail track and then use the empty space for trees and foliage (if you have enough that is) :classic:

I like the layout very much. :classic:

Perhaps you can remove the middle layer of the cafe corner. Now its very big

if you compare with the other sets. And more trees are always good.

Looks great to see the newer sets in a little town. Even with less sets, you can make a nice town with it. You have proven that. Good job :thumbup: .

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think the real thing looks 100% better than the pictures (perhaps it's because I took the pictures late last night. Perhaps I'll share another in daylight.

Only suggestion or improvement I have would be to consider adding green baseplates under all the rail track and then use the empty space for trees and foliage (if you have enough that is) :classic:

I actually did this on purpose. I had the straight track set on the green roadplates, but where they curve, I did not. This gave the Emerald some trouble going up and down in these areas (at least in reverse). The Emerald does not do well up slopes- esp. after the red wheel bands get a bit dirty.

Perhaps you can remove the middle layer of the cafe corner. Now its very big

if you compare with the other sets.

The top of the silo and theater aren't too much lower, so I'm okay with the height of Cafe Corner - but I understand your point.

Even with less sets, you can make a nice town with it.

What I'm learning is that sometimes less is much better. I had to remove a number of my other trains and switch track to make room for the Town Plan. I was; however, able to add the farm, which I like. The red roof looks good near the green roadplates. Next set for me is Green Grocer, so I will have to relocate the Town Plan gas station.

I wanted to comment this a long time ago, but I wasn't able to sit still to find an approriate place for the pictures to download completely. After viewing so many versions of your town progress which is very interesting, I must admit that this version is my favourite, by able to incorporate many of my favourite elements in it such as the Cafe Corner, Farm, Town Plan and the rest of the Train set up which is exciting. There are switch tracks at the rear, near the Train Shed. This is really very nice. However, there is one thing which bothers me, is not allowing the roadplates to integrate nicely with the train tracks by not expanding out of the circular boundaries. I am not sure if all town planners face the same way? I want to explore how to bypass this though.

Nevertheless, a great wonderful setup. :thumbup:

there is one thing which bothers me, is not allowing the roadplates to integrate nicely with the train tracks by not expanding out of the circular boundaries. I am not sure if all town planners face the same way? I want to explore how to bypass this though.

Thanks WF. I'm glad to see you looking at these train layouts.

This is one of the biggest challenges when building a train layout (to stay within the tracks OR to place the tracks on the baseplates). Whenever I set the tracks on them, I have some areas (the curves), higher than the rest. It looks a bit awkward and creates ups and downs.

I suppose one remedy would be to use a few plates (round 1x1s) under the curved track to connect them to the plates. Another option (and someone had suggested this to me), would be to use some sort of green mat to cover the board (blending in the plates with the table). Right now, the onlt "mat" I have is beige/tan which is great for desert, but not for green.

This would make a great topic of itself. Perhaps I'll start one.

EDIT: I've taken a larger daylight image of this if any of you would like to see it:

Train Town 5 - Large

traintown5-lgx640.jpg

This is a great town layout, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I really :wub: it!

I really like to see that you now finally bought the awesome 10184 Town Plan :thumbup: - it has to be included in every great town layout. The only advise I want to give you is to add the stickers to it - especially the cinema looks much better with stickers! :wink:

Although I really do not like these CC styled buildings I must admit that the Cafe Corner looks quite good at the location where you put it - esp. with the trees in front.

Imo the farm does not fit that well in this layout since you built up a downtown area. Why didn't you place the classic Main Street where now there is the farm?

I really like the roundabout with the cypres trees (of which I sadly own none - and these are that expensive when you want to buy them :cry_sad: ) and the fountain. And I even like that you added a lot of trees in general - it makes your otwn looking much more friendly.

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Great work Brickster! I'm really loving watching your layout evolve. It's always cool to see what is going to show up next. Great work and I'm already looking forward to Train Town 6!

-Dave

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Thanks KD. I always enjoy reading your comments related to any town layout - and you're always honest with your likes and dislikes (I respect that).

Yes, I think you're right-on with the need for stickers. I may just have to break-down and put them on.

In regard to Cafe Corner, I must admit that it's my personal favorite model. I was NOT planning to buy the modulars, and now that I have the one, I must say that I absolutely love it. I enjoy looking at it (over and over again) - kinda gives me one of those "warm fuzzy feelings". I do plan to buy the Green Grocer soon, as well as the new Fire Brigade. As someone who lives ina very dry, arid climate, without many "traditional green trees" (sort of like Grave Stone), I love having the green plates and lots of trees. - reminds me of Germany! :wink:

I nixed the Classic Main Street because the style just didn't fit well, and the farm is larger and newer (thinking it blends in more). I love the farm, the red roofs, and the cows. Plus, with Cafe Corner, that's a hotel, and I have a more detailed "Main Street" now. Those cypress trees are from the old Knights Tournament set (x2) purchased in the late 70s/early 80s (dating myself again) :laugh: .

Great work and I'm already looking forward to Train Town 6!

Thank you Dave. It's fun re-arranging and placing new models on the table. Green Grocer will be next. What amazes me is how small the display looks in pictures.

You should share your layout sometime. I'd look forward to seeing it.