KDog

Lego: Space - The Comic

indexed.gif

I wanted to tell you about a new little creative venture of mine - a photographic comic strip set in the world of Lego Space and starring the classic sets. There's some space drama, mostly silliness, but it's intended to be a loving tribute to one of my favorite toylines of all time. I'm gonna try and get a new comic or three up every week or so. It also gives me an excuse to do something with my Lego sets other than display them, build them or keep them in storage. The first four comics are up, and this link will show yo the latest comic and give you a menu to see the rest. Hope you like!

http://www.drunkduck.com/Lego_Space/

Absolutely love the first one, saw it over on Bricklink when you first posted it.

I'll be curious to see how the stories develop.

Keep up the good work! *y*

Fantastic, especially using official sets, very funny, I like the futuron-classic space argument!

Favourite line:

"but man, do they get rowdy over their magnets!"

And the part about aliens not break dancing was hilarious!

Keep up the great work! *wub*

Unless it's considered an annoyance or a violation of forum rules, I'll post a message in this thread whenever I post a new comic so you know when to check.

Nice, but I think it would look better with today's minifig heads. ;-)

Don't think I haven't considered giving the old Space minifigs today's more expressive heads. But part of what I want to do in this comic is feature actual sets that Lego released and give them a story; to change the heads of the Classic Spacemen just wouldn't be genuine. Besides, I love the cute, perpetual smiles they have. It adds to the humor, I think. The newer minifigs in the comic, such as the Mission to Mars astronauts, will of course feature the modern heads.

On a related note, I sat down today and wrote down the overall story that I want to tell in these comics. While the initial plan was to do mostly gag comics, a quite cohesive and epic tale poured forth from my imagination. It will actually take many, many comics to tell it, and I hope I can accomplish this. It has several disparate plotlines that converge, and all the while I want to maintain the humor. No easy task. Essentially, the main storyline follows a group of four Classic Space cadets who were friends and graduated the academy together. There's Schwartz (black uniform) and his buddy Galinos (new, blue uniform), who you've already met. The yellow astronaut who crashed his ship in the third comic is another major character, and will play a part in the alien attack storyline that will form the backbone of the comic. There's also a red astronaut who serves at the Classic Robot Base, and he's got an important role, but he won't show up for awhile. (Don't worry, I haven't forgot about the white astronauts...) Meanwhile, there's a story going on involving Blacktron. And characters from other themes will show up on a regular basis. If I can tell this whole storyline (hopefully in about 100 comics), there's more to tell after that. The good thing is that it doesn't take an immense ammount of time to complete a comic. Probably less than an hour to shoot, 1-2 hours to put together.

Edited by KDog

Unless it's considered an annoyance or a violation of forum rules, I'll post a message in this thread whenever I post a new comic so you know when to check.

Not at all, especially when it's something this fun. Great job :-)

Great job, heh. :-$

I don't enjoy all lego comics, but I especially liked this one. A classic (no pun intended) theme, and storyline. I would love to see the story evolve into other themes, I'll be waiting. ;-)

This is great, better than most Lego comics I have seen. Can't wait to see more.

I also think the classic happy face heads make it all the more funny. :-D

Very, very good, especially your last one.... so many funny ideas! Mwow on! :-P :-D *y*

The part 3 one was very amusing!!

"Think anyone will miss this?" was very funny indeed!

The part 3 one was very amusing!!

"Think anyone will miss this?" was very funny indeed!

Thanks!

And Lord of Pies. I'm digging that moonbase!

I'm not very interested in making MOCs (with one exception I'll show you some time), so I guess my creative energies inspired by Lego come out in the comic.

Thanks!

And Lord of Pies. I'm digging that moonbase!

I'm not very interested in making MOCs (with one exception I'll show you some time), so I guess my creative energies inspired by Lego come out in the comic.

Thanks! :-$

I envy you, with all of your space sets, I have very few, though I want more! :-)

As for the comics, they are very well done, the back drop is good too, not distracting at all, and the photography is very good.

Thanks! :-$

I envy you, with all of your space sets, I have very few, though I want more! :-)

As for the comics, they are very well done, the back drop is good too, not distracting at all, and the photography is very good.

Thank you. The digital camera I use has a very good macro setting, so I have that to be thankful for. You should see how many blurry pix I take before getting a usable one, though. :)

As for backdrops, I've used a few different methods thus far. In the first comic, I used a black shirt stretched out on a bulletin board! For the comic with the Android Base in it, I used the television as a backdrop, with the intro to DS9 paused on the DVD player. Mostly, I've been choosing backdrop images on the computer and using the laptop screen as a backdrop. The problem with using the TV and computer is that everything looks blue, which doesn't seem out of place with space. Still, I want to figure out out how to get around that. The other method I will use is to paint some cardboard pieces black (with white stars painted on) and use those for backgrounds, especially for scenes set in space.

I have a nice collection of Lego Space sets, although it is nowhere near as complete or as large as I'm sure a lot of people's collections are. While there are a few more sets I'd like to have, I'm very satisfied with the selection I have and don't plan on buying any more for some time (aside from an auction for a Space Police set that I bid on earlier this week on eBay, if I win).

If you're curious, these are the sets I own, and therefore could appear in the comic:

Classic:Space Transport, Robot Command Center, Intergalactic Command Base, Gamma-V Laser Craft, FX-Star Patroller, Solar Power Transporter, Lunar Patrol Craft, Mobile Recovery Vehicle, Cosmic Fleet Voyager, Space Patrol

Blacktron: Invader, Battrax

Futuron: AERO-Module, Stardefender "200", Crater Crawler, Strategic Pursuer

Space Police: Galactic Peace Keeper, Spy-Trak I

M-Tron: Beacon Tracer, Particle Ionizer

Blacktron II: Tri-Wheeled Tyrax, Allied Avenger, Spectral Starguider, Alpha Centauri Outpost

Space Police II: Unnamed robot set, Galactic Chief, Sonar Security, Rebel Hunter

Ice Planet 2002: Ice Tunnelator, Celestial Sled, Ice-Sat V

Unitron: Crater Cruiser

Spyrius: Saucer Scout, Lunar Launch Site

Exploriens: Hovertron, Planetary Decoder, Nebula Outpost, Android Base, Alien Fossilizer

UFO: Cyber Saucer, Alien Avenger, Warp Wing Fighter, V-Wing Fighter, Radon Rover, Cyborg Scout, Cyber Blaster

Insectoids: Celestial Stinger, Sonic Stinger, Bi-Wing Blaster, Beta Buzzer

Life on Mars: Recon-Mech RP

Mars Mission: Mini-Robot, MX-41 Switch Fighter, Mobile Mining Unit, MX-11 Astro Fighter

Various Space robot set

I also have a bunch of Space minifigs outside of the sets. Since I just collect Space, I only a have a small smattering of sets from other themes. I did get a couple of the current small Knights vs. Skeleton sets, since the skeleton warriors are very cool. And who could resist getting the Indy/Henry Jones set? :)

So, if anyone desperately wants to see any other space set in the comic, like the Galaxy Explorer for example, feel free to send them off to me for free. ;-)

Edited by KDog