Itaria No Shintaku

Is anyone else fearing that Nexo Knights is meaning NO new castle them

Will TLG produce historic castle themes in your opinion while Nexo Knights is in production?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Will TLG produce historic castle themes in your opinion while Nexo Knights is in production?

Hello folks.

I received the Classic Castle set from LEGO and as it has been pointed before, Nexo Knights are listed among the castle themes.

Plus, at Legoland Deutschland, the Nexo Knights shop is in the castle area, where usually castle sets are sold.

Is this enough for fearing that though Nexo Knights can be indeed liked as a theme, we won't get any historic castle theme as long as its production continues?

I'd really enjoy understanding different points of view.

Thanks

From my guess they will do the usual and let Nexo knights fade out leave a year and release a new castle theme this time either in a historic or fantasy format

I don't think we'll see a new historical/fantasy Castle set until Nexo is either gone, or obviously on its way out. I can see Lego maybe making 1 or 2 promo sets in the meantime, but I don't think they would invest the resources to launch another full theme, as they would likely view it as a conflicting theme to Nexo Knights since they are choosing to label it as "Castle" (even though its not :) )

IMO, I think nexo knights is just going to stay for awhile. Looking at Ninjago, you have a blend of Asian theme with fantasy and tech scifi. I think this is what TLG will be doing with Nexo knights ie following the route which Ninjago is on.

Short answer, seriously doubt there will be any castle sets being released as long as Nexo Knights are around.

While I don't think Nexo Knights can or will become as big as Ninjago, I do think it will last for 2~3 years, and then options for a historic Castle theme are open.

It is entirely possible that Nexo Knights might be taking the place of another Castle theme for at least the next two years. New versions of LEGO Castle tend to be launched about every three years: Knights' Kingdom II in 2004, Fantasy Era in 2007, Kingdoms in 2010, the latest Castle-branded sets in 2013. If LEGO is sticking to that cycle that could mean that Nexo Knights is the new version of Castle for the time being.

Breaking from that cycle to release another Castle theme sometime in the next two years wouldn't necessarily be a great thing for Castle fans, since creating a new theme or a new version of a classic theme takes time, and I can easily see Castle fans being disappointed if the next iteration of Castle is visibly rushed to completion. Also, despite the lack of a theme that Historic Themes fans here are willing to consider "castle", this year's sets have been sort of castle-heavy. Besides Nexo Knights, this year's sets include castles in the Angry Birds, Elves, and Minecraft themes. It's safe to assume Angry Birds is one-and-done, and Minecraft tends not to repeat itself too much, but Elves certainly isn't going away in the immediate future, so Nexo Knights is not the only theme another new Castle theme would have to worry about overlapping with.

The possibility of a Castle-ish licensed theme is a whole other matter, since as we saw with The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, those tend to operate on their own schedule that depends more on movie releases than on the LEGO Group's internal cycles. But I haven't really seen mention of any upcoming medieval fantasy movies that are obvious candidates for a LEGO adaptation.

If Nexo Knights does manage extend longer than three years, then it wouldn't entirely surprise me for another Castle theme to be launched in its fourth year or later.

Edited by Aanchir

I dont think LEGO will make any remake of Classic sets sadly. But they will do like they did for the promos. No major big sets

Taking into consideration how lackluster the last castle theme was and how much advertisement and effort have been put into nexo knights, I think they are here to stay. Possibly as long as ninjago, if they are popular. And even if nexo knignts fails, does that means that they will simply go back to classical castle themes? Probably not, considering that the hobbit/LotR habe been cancelled prematurely.

I think when there is general interest in medieval themes and tolkien-style fantasy, TLG would maybe even have them running parallel to nexo knignts, but so far it seems there isnt really a demand apart from the AFOL-faction, and we are the smaller customer group still :wink:

So I would wholeheartely welcome a proper medieval theme, but I dont see it happen in the next couple years

"Classic" Castle sets by definition will likely be directly competing with Nexo Knights sets, because the inspiration behind them is very similar. It's the same reason why there's no pirate sets being released alongside Ninjago, which has a pirate thematic in their most recent releases. So because of that, I doubt we will see any of those classically-styled Castle sets while Nexo Knights sets are still being produced.

Honestly, I think it will be more beneficial for LEGO to make more original themes considering how successful Ninjago has been, rather than resting on their laurels by making more sets based on classic themes... They may not be nice for historical fans at first glance, but there are still plenty of parts that can be used in historical and fantasy settings.

Unfortunately, I do think LEGO considers Nexo Knights as the current theme that serves the 'Castle' setting. While it does paint everything over with a big dash of science fiction, each set is based on some typical 'Castle' fixture - the idea of knights, siege engines, fortresses, chariots, etc. While all of these are dressed up to be futuristic and sci-fi, they do use the absolute bare bones of Castle before the bonkers colour scheme and lasers are added.

Nexo Knights is proving to be VERY popular with children, and LEGO, as a children's toy, will respond to the demand of kids first and foremost. I expect that the theme will run for another few years quite successfully, and sadly I do not think that Castle sets released over that same period of time would catch kids' attention as much as Nexo Knights does. Nexo Knights is very colourful, action-packed, and has science fiction elements that appeal to kids who don't like the whole serious "Medieval fantasy" aesthetic that basic Castle uses.

At the least, I believe that LEGO could decide to create one Castle set - perhaps a large D2C - just to appease adult collectors who love the usual Castle theme. They would not commit to a full Castle theme while Nexo Knights is running, but a special single set to acknowledge frustrated AFOLs feels reasonable to me.

Well, if you ask me then i consider the Nexo is a space/Fiction theme. Totally not related to Castle. Sorry to say, but TLG has Destroyed the ( Castle ) Meaning by doing this Nexo theme.

Edited by VintageLegoEra

This has been the worry since NK was announced. A dark time for those of us who don't care for the wacky aesthetic of NK.

Lots of negativity going on in that poll. :look:

Look at it this way: We may not get another Castle theme during Nexo's run. However, Itaria asked whether or not we will get a Historic theme during Nexo's run. I believe the answer to that is yes. We could get a Roman theme. We could get a theme based on Greek mythology. We could get another Western theme. Lego will see the negative feedback Nexo has gotten from the AFOL body and will probably make a small wave based on one of these things in the near future.

What I can't see is Lego willingly losing fans. They'll find a way to keep this forum happy.

To make even this set 100% classic, The Helmet should be in Dark Grey and not in Light Grey + the Axe Weapon should be either Brown or Black and not Dark Grey. :)

Lots of negativity going on in that poll. :look:

Look at it this way: We may not get another Castle theme during Nexo's run. However, Itaria asked whether or not we will get a Historic theme during Nexo's run. I believe the answer to that is yes. We could get a Roman theme. We could get a theme based on Greek mythology. We could get another Western theme. Lego will see the negative feedback Nexo has gotten from the AFOL body and will probably make a small wave based on one of these things in the near future.

What I can't see is Lego willingly losing fans. They'll find a way to keep this forum happy.

Well, the reason behind this is , remaking vintage castle will not be a profitable for new age people as it has no much feature and colors. We from back then lived in that Era and had a great time with them see these themes as top!

Also, Lego back then was very known in their Sets models which are very realistic and profissional. Now days, Lego has more playability features , Childish designs and fantasy ideas.

Afterall, plans changes over years :)

Cheers

However, Itaria asked whether or not we will get a Historic theme during Nexo's run.

He actually asked whether we will get a "historic castle" theme, which Roman or Greek would not be (although I'd love and collect either!) I don't see another castle theme during NK's lifespan unless it becomes evergreen, but that's not what I'm hoping for anyway. I'd prefer castle/medieval sets aimed at older fans, TFOLs and AFOLs, in the same vein as the modulars or Creator Expert sets. Maybe the designers that previously worked on classic castle can be temporarily assigned to some big projects like those while the Chima/action designers keep churning out Nexo?

BTW, I do have all the NK and enjoyed building them, but they're just not the same...

Sadly, I don't see it happening. I would love it if LEGO produced Castle sets, obviously, but they (mistakenly) consider Nexo Knights to be a Castle theme. It has been argued before, so we'll leave it at that.

I think we may have to wait until Nexo Knights is over before we get a true Castle theme, and an even bigger fear of mine is that the next iteration of Castle will also be disappointing. I plan to buy it anyways, if only to vote with my wallet for continued production of Castle sets.

Also, while there may be some sets out now that are superficially castles, none of them really have the Castle theme flavor to them, so I would not count them as any sort of consolation.

We all know Nexo Knights is a Castle theme for LEGO, so the next catle theme should be released on 2019 (By the way I think the next caslte theme could be a return of classic castle, just like the promo set they just released)

Anyway, Nexo Knights is planned as a 3 years theme, so I wouldn't expect a castle theme anytime soon.

But, I'd expect some nice castle CMF's in Series 17

How about a one-off D2C set in 2018: a modern version of the Yellow Castle for its 40th anniversary? Same overall shape, but tan or dark talk color, modern bricks, details, decorations, building techniques, etc.?

Alright, I know I'm dreaming...

I'd prefer castle/medieval sets aimed at older fans, TFOLs and AFOLs, in the same vein as the modulars or Creator Expert sets.

That would be great. I would prefer that to another vanilla rehash of the same sets (like Castle 2013).

(By the way I think the next caslte theme could be a return of classic castle, just like the promo set they just released)

What makes you think that?

But, I'd expect some nice castle CMF's in Series 17

I wonder what's left? Boudon-style elves and maybe a prince?

The CMF line has treated the castle fan well in the last couple of years.

(By the way I think the next castle theme could be a return of classic castle, just like the promo set they just released)

Why would that be?

What makes you think that?

Why would that be?

It's more wishful thinking than anything.

Nexo Knights is like KK2 and Fantasy Era combined.

KK2 from the heroes side, and Fantasy Era in the villains side, with all those lava creatures and the upcoming water and plant monsters.

So, I wouldn't expect something like KK2 or Fantasy Era replacing Nexo Knights, but something more in the line of Kingdoms

And LEGO has been recently bringing back "classic stuff" like classic space in The LEGO Movie and these classic promo sets, so I think after NK would be the perfect time for a return of Classic Castle

Or maybe it's just me :sadnew:

I don't think we'll see a new traditional Castle theme until Nexo Knights is over, but personally I don't mind. Of course, that mostly comes from where I'm at in my life right now, kind of a transitional period between college and finding a career, and I currently can't really afford to spend much on LEGO. I think Nexo Knights does have some cool stuff to offer us castle fans in the mean-time, a couple of the sets seem a little more castle-oriented than sci-fi, and most of the villains in this year's lineup can easily be used for a demon/monster army in a classic fantasy setting. So while I don't think we'll see a new Castle theme while Nexo Knights sets are being produced, I don't mind, and I know at some point in the future we'll have a classic Castle line again. Plus we keep getting several Castle-themed minifigures in the collectible minifigures series every year to make up for the lack of them in current sets.

I doubt we will see a new castle theme in the meantime, though I agree that CMFs and some promotional sets are likely.

I have a feeling that, TLG will make a remake of Vintage sets in 2020.....the last vintage remake set was done in 2001 and 2002 which is almost 20 years from 1980's, so 2020 is also almost 20 years from 2001. ;)

Cheers

Edited by VintageLegoEra