Sign in to follow this  
rupi

Sabre Island

Hi

Yesterday I received a Sabre Island set I bought on ebay. It's the first one I got, I love it, is such a cool and perfect small set. The printed baseboard, the cool tower, the three minifigs, the boat...everything perfect!

I also got some rock bricks at the same time and as soon I saw them I think I have to do somethig with this...

Well I made a modified version of sabre Island, it is not quite like I imagined it but I am still working on it.

Right now it is alredy different I have reduced the number of greys and modified the little crane so it can rotate.

If it justifies I will post it again.

Thanks for looking, and commenting.

the boat arrives to the island

sabreisland1.jpg

the soldier waits in the pier

sabreisland2.jpg

sabreisland3.jpg

they unload the cargo

sabreisland4.jpg

the boat leaves the island

sabreisland5.jpg

It's a beautiful little set indeed and it has 2 imperials soldiers and 1 sailor.

You modifications make it look even better.

This set is very usefull as an outpost to a bigger fortress...

Well, i own one still from my childhood (received it as a birthday gift).

Seeing yours makes me wanna build it again (the pieces are spread through my collection).

Will you put some more pictures when you finish working on it?

B.

Now it can't be called Sabre Island anymore, it'll have to be renamed Sabre Crag!

Before I go commenting on the actual MOC I'd be wondering how much you managed to pick up the Sabre Island the miscellaneous pieces for?

Now it can't be called Sabre Island anymore, it'll have to be renamed Sabre Crag!

Before I go commenting on the actual MOC I'd be wondering how much you managed to pick up the Sabre Island the miscellaneous pieces for?

Well, I think I got a good price on both deals:

Sabre Island for 9,5 euro, postage included (no box or instructions, one flag missing)

5 rock pieces dark grey for 6 euro, postage included (they were for the underwater theme with some stickers on them but easily removed)

Both items from germany.

I am very patience and I only bid reasonable prices I don

Here are the pictures of the new modified version:

I made it higher,

changed the rock bricks (now all dark grey),

improved the little crane (now it can rotate).

the original Sabre Island set to compare

originalsabreisland.jpg

my moc version

P9141340red.jpgP9141341red.jpg

P9141342red.jpgP9141344red.jpg

P9141345red.jpg

thanks for looking and commenting.

I made it higher

Was there any particular need you thought you need to make it higher? I thought it was fine at he size it was - imagine what it would be like up the top in high wind. That's if anyone can get to the top because I notice there are no ladders! :-D

Was there any particular need you thought you need to make it higher? I thought it was fine at he size it was - imagine what it would be like up the top in high wind. That's if anyone can get to the top because I notice there are no ladders! :-D

I think that for a tower the sabre island is very small, that's why I put an extra level.

In fact there are no stairs, but that's like the original set. To put stairs it wouldf have to be a lot larger and that would take the slim and elegant look the tower has. I don't mind if it is no very realistic.

About the wind, this set is for indoors use only... :-)

I would like to ask (I'm so ignorant about this :-$ ) what do you call bley? is it the dark or light grey?

In this set I use some dark grey rock bricks (bought used) and some light and dark grey bricks I bought new (set 4496).

There's not much bley in this MOC is there? Isn't that new light grey that's used for the rocky outcrop at the bottom?

There's not much bley in this MOC is there? Isn't that new light grey that's used for the rocky outcrop at the bottom?

P9141342red.jpg

The dark grey on the left side and the light grey of the stairs on the rock are the new grey colors (their both from the set 4496) the diference is not much.

I saw peolple talking about bley and I wasn't sure what it was, the rock pieces I have are the old dark grey and compared the new bricks are more bluish but I tought this was due to the old pieces being yelowed with age.

The diferent shades of grey don't bother me much because I don't have large amounts of old greys so I will have to mixe them all if I want to do something.

The modifications add a great deal more personality to the set. I too think the first incarnation of the MOC was fine. Is there an original story to accompany the MOC?

The modifications add a great deal more personality to the set. I too think the first incarnation of the MOC was fine. Is there an original story to accompany the MOC?

I never thought about it. I just build for fun and to play with my son.

How old is your son Mr Rupi? Does he assist you in the design or does he just watch? Does he like to play with what you've created or does he assist in its destruction?

That idea was used in sets like...

Much as I hate to go castley ;-) : 6066 has 3 entrances, so figs can come and go secretly. I also think this would be great in a pirate set.

Great work on the MOD by the way. Sabre Island is a great set, which always seems to invite extensions (a great thing in a set!) My only quibble would be the bley, but your pics are so good you barely notice...

God Bless,

Nathan

That idea was used in sets like...

6248-1.jpg

ok, so it was... there are a lot of examples. are we going to list them all ??? :-|

6066 just pulled it off better, so i used it as refence instead of 6248 ;-)

6066 is sooooo great !!!!!!!!!!!! *wub*

- BrickMienr