Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

Bumping List of Shame

Please don't. Just don't.

I'm tired of telling people this. Things like this...

bump

Thank you all warm buy!!
Just bringing my topic back up to the top. :wink::thumbup:
BUMP - Still ALL for sale, no longer need Castle sets, only PayPal for BL orders
*bump*

I want one!

Oh wait...

Needing to get these sold, make some offers please.
a litle bump
Nobody interested in my Pirates?
le bump.
bump.
bump
Bump
Bump

Anyone ?

Bump

...are just not acceptable. Remember when one topic is bumped up, the rest are bumped down. With my settings of 40 topics per page there are topics in this forum that cover about 15 days. Thus if someone posts a topic in there it'll be reasonably viewable for 2 weeks, so there really is no need to bump. If no one wants your items please just accept it; there's no need to be selfish and sabotage someone else's chance.

What is classed as bumping? Well the ones above are blatant examples but several "updates" in a row without any posts from other members is much the same. Ultimately the best way to tell is simple; ask yourself why are you posting. If it's really to add something you should be OK, but if you have any doubts, or if little or no interest has been shown in your post, then you probably shouldn't post the update. There are other ways to sell LEGO after all.

Repeat offenders (especially those who have large percentage of posts in the BSTF forum) will be banned from posting in this forum. We do keep track of warnings.

Having said all of that, what can we do to satisfy peoples urge to bump? Well aside from dancing we do accept people adding links in their signature to a sales page or to an on-line store. If you're making loads of sales that's probably more appropriate anyway. Also, an idea that I was considering was to add a topic where people could post wants and haves, and that way people could bump away without being as annoying, and it'd also be a good place for sellers/buyers to browse.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on this issue.

Just a comment from me really,you've posted a sarky and unfunny comment in my post here- http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41967 accusing me of bumping my thread,the thought of bumping hadnt occured to me and as my post was almost at the top of the page why would i need to?My post was thanking the member that posted before me for taking the time to look through his collection to see if he could help me out with my wanted list.I didnt want him or other members thinking i didnt appreciate his time and effort :sceptic:

Thanks for putting this rule into place (it was already, but the reminder was needed). I just hate when people do this, when obviously, no one is interested. If they were, they would've said so.

Also, kind of off topic, but in the ballpark. Another thing that I think is unnecessary is posting three letters in a BST topic: "PMd". The topic start will see the PM as soon as he/ she logs on next, so there is really no reason to remind them in their own topic. And if it's to announce that you may or may not be taking one of the items the topic starter is offering, then I'm sure that person will take that item off of the list.

My post was thanking the member that posted before me for taking the time to look through his collection to see if he could help me out with my wanted list.I didnt want him or other members thinking i didnt appreciate his time and effort :sceptic:

:wacko: You wanted to thank someone so you posted...

Lubbly jubbly :classic:

I realise you're both from the UK, but that's hardly a clear way of doing it. Quoting the guy and saying "thanks" would have been a better idea. But look, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and I've removed the post and taken your quote of the List of Shame. Sorry for potentially misjudging you. Do remember though that as someone with 28% of posts in BSTF and who posted in BSTF very early on it makes you look like you're mostly on EB to buy and sell, and that is missing the point of the BSTF forum.

Also, kind of off topic, but in the ballpark. Another thing that I think is unnecessary is posting three letters in a BST topic: "PMd". The topic start will see the PM as soon as he/ she logs on next, so there is really no reason to remind them in their own topic. And if it's to announce that you may or may not be taking one of the items the topic starter is offering, then I'm sure that person will take that item off of the list.

I agree. As it turns out I found enough blatant examples of bumping so I didn't need to use those. :sceptic:

I tend to get annoyed when other people bump topics (especially when I recently posted a new topic,) However often when my topic doesn't get a lot of responses I find myself tempted to bump my topic :blush: . Also I would just like to say that I love having such a active BST subforum on the site that I frequent the most and appreciate it being moderated fairly :thumbup: .

Sorry for potentially misjudging you. Do remember though that as someone with 28% of posts in BSTF and who posted in BSTF very early on it makes you look like you're mostly on EB to buy and sell

Thank you for understanding,i also see what you are saying about me buying and selling lots however my extremely full lego room means my love of lego is more than just making a profit from it.Between me and my son we chop and change themes quite regularly and having so much lego means we can happily sell bits and bob to help build up the next collection. I have been preparring a couple of reviews from some of the older space themes as well as some cool mocs too so whilst it does seem the bstf is my main hang out,i check out the entire forum everyday,i spend quite a bit of time on here actually,more so than the bmw forum that i administrate lol!

(Also,the lubbly jubbly comment was quoting a uk tv program,im guessing you dont get Only fools and horses where you are but it was a huge show over here and its,sadly i'll admit,a comment i use quite a bit :blush: )

Anyhoo,as said thanks for understanding :sweet:

In my opinion instead of posting a new post when something goes off their list they should just edit the first post, that would makes much more sense since poeple will be able to see the new updates straight away instead of having to browse the whole thread!

awesomebrick

Edited by awesomebrick

well from what i've seen not alot of people post in the forums, in fact I don't think many people check them out to begin with and the BST topic is rather slow going, but on the other hand it is corrupted by posts that should be in their own topic like Aussie sales and UK sales and so on, this should only be Buy/Sale/Trade thread for members to members, sales announcements should be in their own group same as the finds section, they should be their own forum cause they degrade the buy/sale/trade section.

This is a problem with almost any for sale section on a forum, I think it's a great idea and it's aweseome you guys are actually going to do something about it! Some forums justg desert the FS section and leave it to implode on it's own.

Glad you made this rule. Shame is was a little late for my thread though. :tongue:

A certain someone bumped their thread straight after I made mine. :vader:

Edited by Jammiedodger714

I did bump one topic awhile ago. My apologies. It does get very annoying when these issues come up. The compromise the other poster's changes and does cause others to bump their own. Someone showed me this topic on Rebelscum and I thought it was hilarious. Scroll down past the list to see what I'm talking about.

Edited by JCC1004

Some of those bumps are a little pathetic in hiding that they are bumps . To get through the list i decided to sing it :tongue:

I've bumped some of my moc topics and what not before but i try to hide it by answering questions that no one asked :laugh:

Some of those bumps are a little pathetic in hiding that they are bumps . To get through the list i decided to sing it :tongue:

I've bumped some of my moc topics and what not before but i try to hide it by answering questions that no one asked :laugh:

:tongue: Yeah, I've deliberately left questions unanswered in my MOCs so I can answer them a few days later and give the topic a last hurrah. The sad thing is I don't get around to it for several months in most cases and that's too late... :blush:

do you think it makes sense to move deals and finds to a subforum? that way the unselfish members who were just trying to give other members heads up on BOGO sales weren't penalized by the % posting stat. people like lightningtiger for eg. excellent guy.

or move buy/sell/trade to a specific subforum and enforce strict posting rules (i don't know what they are but things like x no of days joined, % time on other forums > 50%, etc.)

do you think it makes sense to move deals and finds to a subforum? that way the unselfish members who were just trying to give other members heads up on BOGO sales weren't penalized by the % posting stat. people like lightningtiger for eg. excellent guy.

or move buy/sell/trade to a specific subforum and enforce strict posting rules (i don't know what they are but things like x no of days joined, % time on other forums > 50%, etc.)

It's possible, but we've made a lot of changes as of late and we should consolidate what we've done at this stage. I personally think I think the BSTF forum is readable enough as it is; you can view 14 days of topics in one index page afterall.

Long term I think we could consider some changes like you propose though.

I'm starting to think that people are creating new topics to avoid bumping... which is even worse. To help me clarify this I'll be merging some older topics. My apologies if I make a mess of things while doing my research... :devil:

I'm starting to think that people are creating new topics to avoid bumping... which is even worse. To help me clarify this I'll be merging some older topics. My apologies if I make a mess of things while doing my research... :devil:

...Is that a hidden bump? *oh2*

I say you give everyone who bumps a thread here a humiliating tag, like one in big bright red letters that says 'I'm on the Bumping List of Shame!' :tongue:

I say you give everyone who bumps a thread here a humiliating tag, like one in big bright red letters that says 'I'm on the Bumping List of Shame!' :tongue:

:laugh: That would be funny, but maybe a little harsh. You'd just get it for a little while, I suppose?

Edited by DobbyClone

Sign in to follow this