just2good

LEGO Minecraft (Minfigure Scale) 2014 Rumors and Discussion

Very exciting news to Minecraft fans (such as myself). The fact that the sets up until now haven't been minifigure-scale has been a huge point of criticism among the Minecraft community, so I'm very happy to see that it has been addressed, and with a full line of sets at that!

This was quite a surprising announcement though. While many suspected that there would be more sets, I wasn't expecting an announcement for at least 6 months after the release of the last two sets.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

I'm glad that we will be getting some minifigure scale sets as I wasn't a fan of the 'micro build' sets. Some of the little models they showed in that video looked pretty cool :sweet:

Not sure if I should be surprised or not. On one hand, I wasn't expecting it, but on the other hand the Minecraft theme has done well and minifigure-scale sets have been something requested quite a lot, so it makes sense.

Personally, I'm not very interested in it as I'm not much of a MC fan, but I know some guys that'll love this.

Wow. Um. Hmm. Does this mean I have to log into facebook? Do I have to?

For the record, I now love minecraft, though it took me a long time to play the game. Why? Because everyone kept comparing it to LEGO. And I was like, "really? No way, come off it." But alas.

I can't really see this line being a generator of custom parts or special pieces except for printed tiles. There's the pixel-pickaxe and sword, and creepers and pigs will all need faces. Maybe a new skeleton head. But overall, this will use standard elements - makes sense.

I am most excited, but also most wary, of what looked like charts where certain bricks in certain colors correlated with the building materials in minecraft. Again, makes sense, and I hope it means we'll get some bricks in colors we wouldn't have already - but I don't want everyone to have to cross-populate their vocabularies where people will say of mocs "Great use of the cobblestone against the dirt, there." We already have enough terms! (...of course, in my heart, I love an abundance of terms, so...yes, do it).

I wonder - "textured" or speckled plastic? (dirt, stone) - Maybe for the special ores? Or maybe just printed tiles for the tops of the materials (Wood would be helpful to everyone).

I'm curious as to where this will go. I haven't bought any of the mini-minecraft sets, because of scale, but on the other hand think they fit there. Minecraft-Mocs I think would be less set-dependent and more a social contract/aesthetics kind of deal. I can see a generation enjoying it, and maybe it will make a style where everything is brick-built instead of brick-and-specialized elements built (All I can think of is trees at the moment).

Will follow, but my breath is not bated.

I somehow knew this was coming. They'll be excellent parts packs so I'm not gonna complain.

Been ruminating over this for a bit - one thing I wasn't initially thinking of: how the license could switch the other way. Minecraft has seen mods from fans that make the blocks like lego bricks (studs and whatnot), and it's seen licensed tie-in mods (Mass effect). Now...maybe....an official licensed mod based on LEGO and LEGO Brand colors/textures.

That is the win. If that happens...I mean...I've only seen it in Mannerist paintings...but you know, when that good old religious feeling is delivered in a perfectly humane and visual style you can understand? A kind of rapture, I tell you!

(and I agree - prototype minifig steve is the opposite of win. No rapture there.)

Nice! :thumbup: Funny that they used the trailer for indev, I guess there aren't any other ones.

Interesting things, it's nice to see they're engaging the design of the products with the fans so much. That should bring some good things eventually.

Apparently this is being given out at Minecon:

bCO28nH.png

cool, where did you get the pic from? is there a vid?

I saw in a minecon vid a lego part. He probably got it there

I'm not sure it's a welcome news or not, as licensed scene based on Cuusoo projects. It's nice for Minecraft fans, but would be weird for other Cuusoo project supportors who like BTTF or other rejected (or not) licesnes while they also want to see more of them.

Even though Cuusoo team never mean to reject some license because of its expense or difficulty, however, if they're willing to favor a certain license much more than any other fan-favorites, it would be more like a decision of TLC rather than a success example of Cuusoo projects (which makes the achievement more like a lucky.coincidence). And it lacks reasons when they don't allow other projects to have multiple product ideas.

Edited by Dorayaki

cool, where did you get the pic from? is there a vid?

I saw in a minecon vid a lego part. He probably got it there

It's just a picture. Strangely I haven't been able to find any pictures or videos from the LEGO booth aside from that one. Supposedly they're showing off Steve, Creeper, and Spider prototypes. I'm assuming the Steve and Spider prototypes will be posted to their FB page soon, as the Creeper ones are already there.

I'm not sure it's a welcome news or not, as licensed scene based on Cuusoo projects. It's nice for Minecraft fans, but would be weird for other Cuusoo project supportors who like BTTF or other rejected (or not) licesnes while they also want to see more of them.

Even though Cuusoo team never mean to reject some license because of its expense or difficulty, however, if they're willing to favor a certain license much more than any other fan-favorites, it would be more like a decision of TLC rather than a success example of Cuusoo projects (which makes the achievement more like a lucky.coincidence). And it lacks reasons when they don't allow other projects to have multiple product ideas.

Why would it be weird? It stands as the ultimate CuuSoo success story. The original set had to go back into production 5 or 6 times to meet demand. The spinoff sets have done very well. The concept publicly proved itself as a niche CuuSoo product and evolved into a full line. That is the one in a million chance at the heart of CuuSoo.

If you don't understand why CuuSoo is limited to single set projects and not themes, then you do not really understand what CuuSoo is, how it works or what it's relationship to the rest of TLG is. And of course they will favor "certain licenced" over others. This is what is known as the "business case". It's not a popularity contest among who has the loudest fan base. Their choices are made based on best business use of limited resources. What projects best fit into their business and production models. And what types of sets can they best predict potential results from. CuuSoo is particularly designed as low cost crowd sourced experiments. Starting small is key to it.

Minecraft was selected not just for 10k votes, but because the underlying business case was solid and fit well with TLG's production models. They felt due to the apparent synergy between brick builders and Minecraft virtual brick builders that they had very good predictive data. They also had a rare video game property that topped over 10 million paying users while still in Beta, and is still on a nice slow steady upward arc of the growth curve. Further it is an extremely rare video game property in that it is virtually un-gated by platform, appearing on PC, console and mobile devices. Really only Grumpy Sparrows and Plants vs Zombies share its sort of market penetration. ( and no, Zelda really doesn't come close when you look at the real user penetration levels.)

Why would it be weird? It stands as the ultimate CuuSoo success story. The original set had to go back into production 5 or 6 times to meet demand. The spinoff sets have done very well. The concept publicly proved itself as a niche CuuSoo product and evolved into a full line. That is the one in a million chance at the heart of CuuSoo.

I should clarify that I do agree with the restrictions. We have to review and know whether each single product would work, not to allow all of them to produce together. They don't have to take all risks when one product is risky enough.

However in this case, my doubt is that TLC is willing to pay attention to certain license, which is a case what they often do to normal licensed themes, not a great example which evolved from a Cuusoo project. There are indeed some business reasons (Mincreaft could make it better than BTTF or Zelda themes), but I feel than supports have very little influence in the decision of adding augmented products.

Edited by Dorayaki

This is super exciting. It seems more people will buy this than the micro sets. I bought the micro sets, but these really will cater to my LEGO Minecraft needs.

Also, I suggest this be moved to the Licensed Themes forum.