Siegfried

Perth Adult Lego Society Video

It's typical mainstream-media-covers-adults-that-play-with-LEGO fare, but it's still worth watching.

Some impressive work there, but yes, typical news-wank approach to the story. LEGO is another design medium for builders and artists, so why does it have to "the kids who never grew up"? And that's a rhetorical question.

Some impressive work there, but yes, typical news-wank approach to the story. LEGO is another design medium for builders and artists, so why does it have to "the kids who never grew up"? And that's a rhetorical question.

LEGO is the design medium for builders and artists, so why does it have to "the kids who never grew up"?

Just correcting a typo ; )

God bless,

Nathan

Thanks for posting that Siegfried, I hadn't seen it before. I think I wisely chose to watch it with the volume off. There were some fantastic creations by the AFOLs in WA. It's a fantastic effort to get that harbour Bridge to not collapse under its own weight.

As a member of this club, I have to agree, it really is a... puff piece. That is the perception the media has of us, and it must have been written that way in order to get the viewers. But it was the biggest publicity we've ever had, I think. It brought thousands more people to the show, which was not even a Lego-only event. That in itself, shows how much of a small town we are.

Does anyone know of other Lego events or clubs that were featured in the news? Surely a local news channel did something on Brickworld?

If you haven't done so already, you can see hundreds of photos of our displays at our website. http://sites.google.com/site/perthlego/

Edited by slopemodified

i was going to go but then i had other plans :cry_sad: :cry_sad: :cry_sad: :cry_sad: :cry_sad:

I'll post about next year's show then, if I remember.

Do you live in WA? We will be at an upcoming event, if you're interested. It's part of the WA Scale Model Expo, on September 11 & 12, at Cannington Exhibition Centre.

@slopemodified - I guess it's the old adage "Any publicity is good publicity" :tongue:

There's a WinTV short about the Brickexpo in Canberra earlier this month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7rn7NkonQ

Thanks for that! I'll be looking up brickexpo videos.

I am very surprised that they have no fencing or barriers around the displays - some pieces are bound to have been nicked!

It's a fantastic effort to get that harbour Bridge to not collapse under its own weight.

It was a huge effort, but I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of it being tied to the roof of the gym. It could hold it's own weight but was unstable and was in danger of falling sideways. Still a great effort since if I remember correctly it had never been completely assembled prior to the show.

I am very surprised that they have no fencing or barriers around the displays - some pieces are bound to have been nicked!

Brickvention also doesn't use barriers, because we feel it gives a more friendly feeling to the exhibition. I've never lost any parts from my train layout, and I've heard very few stories of other stuff going missing. We tend to keep minifigs back from the edges of the tables. Most parts that do go missing are associated with models being knocked off the tables, and that is rare except when over enthusiastic train drivers go too fast, or kids try to touch the trains.

Edited by peterab